IGNORED

8 Shot Penalty for Ben Crane, Sabbatini Disqualified

Vinsk

I'm a BEGINNER on my golf journey... (started in June)... and even I know you can't apply any foreign substance (or stickers) to the clubface.  Just saying. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

:tmade: Stealth HD Driver :tmade: M4 3w :tmade: Stealth+ Rescue Hybrid 2

:tmade: P790 2i UDI :tmade: P790 3i-PW :tmade: MG3 52° AW ...56° CUTTER Wedge

...and a lefty L.A.B. B2 putter. :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, HankBlue said:

I'm a BEGINNER on my golf journey... (started in June)... and even I know you can't apply any foreign substance (or stickers) to the clubface.  Just saying. 🤷‍♂️

It’s a long cold winter in Michigan. For some light reading, check out the Rules of Golf.😀

https://www.usga.org/rules-hub.html

It’s not as long a read as most people think.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 11/18/2021 at 8:37 PM, Missouri Swede said:

And now Sabbatini is DQ'd:

Sounds like the dumb move Ian Woosman years had years ago where he left two drivers in his bag.
He then went off on his caddie for not noticing or not removing them before the start off the round.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Actually @Vinsk I see you still haven’t learned. 🙂

Even on page one you got the same answers and provided the same weak arguments. 😄

You’re a doctor. Certainly you know that the rules are not always about what each specific single individual situation “feels“ like.

There’s nothing to learn here Erik. You ignored the part where I stated I agree that he broke the rule. It’s ok to feel that a rule is rather petty without being criticized that the rule isn’t understood. I was simply stating the poor logic as it applies to these stickers. STICKERS. Not anything else. 
1. I’m a professional golfer and it’s imperative to have the most accurate information on my ball flight that’s possible.

2. I will use a device that actually affects my ball flight and cause misrepresentation of my ball flight.

Thats all I’m saying. And you’re plenty smart enough to know the answer to this is that those stickers do not affect the ball flight to any degree of recognition. That’s why they don’t mind using them.

I’ve already said I understand it when @boogielicioussaid nothing can be applied period. Then that’s fine. Done.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

There’s nothing to learn here Erik. You ignored the part where I stated I agree that he broke the rule.

No I didn't. That's a fact, so of course I assumed you had grasped it as true.

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

It’s ok to feel that a rule is rather petty without being criticized that the rule isn’t understood. I was simply stating the poor logic as it applies to these stickers. STICKERS. Not anything else.

You continue to miss out on the fact that stickers CAN influence the performance.

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

1. I’m a professional golfer and it’s imperative to have the most accurate information on my ball flight that’s possible.

2. I will use a device that actually affects my ball flight and cause misrepresentation of my ball flight.

When you're just testing out a club, or a ball, or a swing change, or whatever… you can hit a ball on the sticker and throw it out and not care about it. You don't have to "count" that shot. You can't "throw out" a shot you hit on a sticker in a competitive round.

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Thats all I’m saying. And you’re plenty smart enough to know the answer to this is that those stickers do not affect the ball flight to any degree of recognition. That’s why they don’t mind using them.

And once again, I'll refer you back to the first time we had this discussion:

On 9/15/2017 at 1:40 PM, iacas said:

Hey, pros never shank, right?

The vaseline argument is perfectly sound. It's the same exact rule, with the same consequences, and the same logic.

The rules cannot get into trying to assess the likelihood of a pro hitting a sticker on a clubface. Pros have whiffed. Pros have shanked, topped, and hit all sorts of horrible shots. Nor can you define clearly how good you have to be to have stickers, or define a three-dimensional system for determine what will and won't affect the performance of the club, with the factors being golfer skill, what material it is, and where it's placed on the clubface.

That's what you still aren't getting. Stickers can influence the performance. That's why they're disallowed. They're a necessary thing for a GCQuad, and there's no real risk because you can just throw out any affected shots.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

you can hit a ball on the sticker and throw it out and not care about it. You don't have to "count" that shot. You can't "throw out" a shot you hit on a sticker in a competitive round

That’s actually a good point I didn’t consider. Ok.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

That’s actually a good point I didn’t consider. Ok.

Good. So you can learn. 😄 Hee hee hee.

• Funny 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Rory Sabbatini was recently DQ'd for having Foresight sports stickers on his club face.

RorySabbatiniRules.jpg

Some golf rules violations make plenty of sense, but others leave you shaking your head — as with Rory Sabbatini's DQ at the RSM Classic.

The scary thing is the editor of a golf magazine doesn't understand the rules and wonders why stickers lead to a DQ.  That is what I can't wrap my head around.  Just how ignorant of the rules do you have to be to not know that stickers and vaseline for example on a club face make it non conforming.

There are lots of people who start from a viewpoint that Rules are dumb, rather than looking at how effective the rules are overall.  That seems to be the view of this article, and it really does make better "news" to be outraged over the injustice.  From the sounds of it, Sabbatini didn't have a problem, he realized he had screwed up.  I can't imagine how anyone would write a rule to allow the teeny dots that Sabbatini used, yet disallow other stick-on stuff that really could influence the way the club works.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 11 months later...
  • Administrator

In 2023, they're going to be able to take the stickers off before they hit a shot to escape any penalty at all.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

In 2023, they're going to be able to take the stickers off before they hit a shot to escape any penalty at all.

Another tweak to the rules that makes a lot of sense to me.  I like that the rules allow a player to "correct a mistake" without penalty as long as its done before playing a stroke.  This principle is similar to 14.5, which allows a player to correct certain mistakes made in putting a ball into play during a hole.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.