IGNORED

Standing Behind on Extension of the Line of Fellow Competitor's Putt

iacas
Note: This thread is 1321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Getting a "Read" from a Fellow Competitor's Putt along a Similar Line  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more distracting for a ten-foot putt?

• A fellow competitor standing 30' behind the ball on an extension of your line of putt.
    • A fellow competitor standing 10' behind the ball and 3' to the side of an extension of your line of putt and jumping in when you hit the putt.

I didn't answer the poll because neither one bothers me.  As long as they aren't close enough to be a distraction, and not in a sprinter's stance waiting for the click of the putter, then I'm usually okay with it.  I really can't remember the last time it happened except in a scramble, and then we always scope out the line as other teammates are putting.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

I honestly don't care what people do while I putt or hit so long as they aren't so close I'll hit them and they aren't moving. I'm fine with people standing 5 feet behind me on the line of my putt, or directly behind the hole, so long as the person doesn't move around. Same goes for full swings, as long as my swing won't hit you I don't care where you stand so long as you stand still during my swing and shortly after it. 

For that reason I voted that I'd prefer the person standing back and on my line directly. If someone isn't moving around or making noise I won't notice where they're at during my shot probably 95% of the time.

On 9/22/2017 at 4:19 PM, Elrey Desol said:

i think this is germane to the thread: 

the two kids in Red are on the same team. is Rule 14-2b violated here? 

LINK

What would be legal, however, is if the second red player were standing behind the hole. The rule specifically prohibits you from being on the line of play behind the ball, it mentions nothing about being behind the hole (and well ahead of the ball) so long as you're not there to give your partner something to aim at.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

What would be legal, however, is if the second red player were standing behind the hole. The rule specifically prohibits you from being on the line of play behind the ball, it mentions nothing about being behind the hole (and well ahead of the ball) so long as you're not there to give your partner something to aim at.

You can still get in trouble for that, because how is anyone else to know what the partner is aiming at, etc. We had a decent length discussion of this the past two times I've gone to the USGA/PGA Rules seminars.

Basically… It's true that the "line of putt" does not extend beyond the hole, but indicating the line of putt can extend beyond the hole, because by connecting the ball to the aiming point, you're indicating the line on which the ball should start. Check out 8-2b/0.5.

So, if your partner has a huge swinging putt, and you're standing on a line that includes the ball and the hole, you're probably safe, because the ball will never really be on that line. But if you're near that line, you're in danger of being called on this, or at least people will think you're doing something shady.

All that said you probably won't be called out, or the person calling you out will think that he's using 14-2 to call you out but that's for behind the golf ball, but still… it's murky water and you're better off not doing it for a partner, lest you look shady, or wiggle your left foot and make it look like you're saying "aim here partner" or anything like that.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Here we go! I'm about to get chewed out again because I did not like the options given in the poll, and I did not vote! I am always respectful of the backline of an FC's putting line. As I am of their "through line".

I'll stand off to the side, but if I'm in the position to get a teach, I'll move in pretty quickly to try to get a look at the line. I see pros on Tour doing this all the time, so I can't figure there's anything wrong with it.

• Like 1

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I'm about to get chewed out again because I did not like the options given in the poll

Uhhhh… okay.

Or, more likely, this will be about the only response your comment gets.

P.S. The only way to not be able to vote is if you think they're equally distracting. The question asks which is "more" of something; it doesn't purport to list every option.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 months later...

Is it possible for someone who is putting a ball to be standing in the line of the putt and therefore in violation of rule 16 1a?  I ask because I have a very closed putting stance, my left foot is close to the ball at address.  One of my playing partners claimed I had an illegal stance because I was standing too close to the line of the putt. Has anyone else ever heard this? Thanks. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Jetsjoe said:

Is it possible for someone who is putting a ball to be standing in the line of the putt and therefore in violation of rule 16 1a?  I ask because I have a very closed putting stance, my left foot is close to the ball at address.  One of my playing partners claimed I had an illegal stance because I was standing too close to the line of the putt. Has anyone else ever heard this? Thanks. 

Why would you want to hit your foot with the ball?

It's clearly not on your line if the ball doesn't hit your foot. You determine your line, not him.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jetsjoe said:

The rule says 'touching' not 'nearly touching'. If your foot was not between the ball and the hole how can it be touching? 

• Thumbs Up 1

I know this is an old thread but I just read it from the start and I have to say, I was definitely of the opinion that you couldn't stand behind anyone's putt, at any length. 

This is news to me. Not sure I would do it anyway, but it's certainly good to know what the rule actually is.

someone above mentioned the scramble team standing watching the line of the putt for the other members of the team. Is this legal in. Scramble?

thanks,

phil

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Someone above mentioned the scramble team standing watching the line of the putt for the other members of the team. Is this legal in. Scramble?

Debatable.

A scramble is not an accepted form of golf so whether it’s against the Rules or not is kinda up to you.

Thanks. Feels like lots of teams in a scramble just play whatever rules (and handicaps) they want to anyway. Though when I have played this format we have definitely watched each other putt to get a read.

Ok full disclosure. No one with an awkward or unusual putting stance has one because they were Good with the traditional stance. And no golfer playing with a guy with an awkward stance complains or invokes the rules of golf because the guys is missing putts. In my case I was not a good putter. My tendency was to pull everything to the left. I am right handed. I tried several different putters, stances, etc. Eventuality I discovered that if I placed left foot close to the ball but a few inches forward I can stroke the ball and follow through straight at the target. My left foot position prevents me from pulling the stroke across my body. The ball goes straight to the target. I am a much better putter from this stance, thus the complaints.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

Uhm, Gupta was WAY too close there. It's bad etiquette. Stand WAY back if you're gonna do that.

I learned something new today. I always thought it was illegal to stand directly behind a player putting (friend or foe). I voted 30' back.

I've always stood at, or behind my own ball or marker at an appropriate distance to not make distractions for others. Why? So I am ready when it is my turn.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Note: This thread is 1321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!