IGNORED

A short survey...

Seals
Note: This thread is 2369 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am in a Sports Analysis class. If you could take 5 minutes to answer these questions (Doesn't have to be all), it would be greatly appreciated.

The goal of this is to show how the average thinks compared to the pro. I have the responses from a few high level ams, and a pro. 

State your handicap in responses...

1. 40 foot putt or 15 foot chip?

2. Front, Middle, or Back hole location?

3. Uphill or Downhill shot?

4. Downwind or into wind wedge shot?

5. Hard 7i or soft 6i?

6. Go to tee shot?

7. Chip and run or spinner?

8. When chipping off green, flagstick in or out?

9. Most pressure you felt in golf. 

Edited by Seals

5 hours ago, Seals said:

I am in a Sports Analysis class. If you could take 5 minutes to answer these questions (Doesn't have to be all), it would be greatly appreciated.

The goal of this is to show how the average thinks compared to the pro. I have the responses from a few high level ams, and a pro. 

5. Hard 7i or soft 6i?

6. Go to tee shot?

1. 15 ft chip

2. Middle

3. Uphill

4. Don't care

5. 7i

6. Driver, fade

7. Chip and run

8. Flag in

9. Self imposed, when I have a really good round , last half of back 9

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 HCP

1. 40 foot putt or 15 foot chip? 15ft chip

2. Front, Middle, or Back hole location? middle

3. Uphill or Downhill shot? downhill

4. Downwind or into wind wedge shot? into wind

5. Hard 7i or soft 6i? soft 6

6. Go to tee shot? 5iron, if I really need to hit a fairway. Otherwise driver all day long.

7. Chip and run or spinner? chip and run

8. When chipping off green, flagstick in or out? IN. Duh.

9. Most pressure you felt in golf. First tee at a gathering when my college buddies were heckling. Not like crazy stress or anything, but I had to really focus despite the hangover taunts of about 15 guys. I was first to tee that day, and it was nearly 200yds over water.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Seals said:

So you're comparing your answers to ONE pro? That hardly seems like a valid study.

I'm a pro. Where would my answers count? Because they are…

1. 40 foot putt or 15 foot chip? (And you almost never have a 15-foot chip. If you're on the fringe, it's a 15-foot putt. If you're in rough, the pin must be about ten feet away from the edge of the green, which is rare. Pros average 2.06 putts from 40 feet, and if you're actually chipping the lie could be bad, etc. so most people should choose the 40 foot putt.)
  2. Front, Middle, or Back hole location? Nobody should say any differently. Though people who come up short frequently would probably benefit from a back hole location.
  3. Uphill or Downhill shot? Are you asking about the lie or the target being uphill or downhill? I answered if the latter.
  4. Downwind or into wind wedge shot? Easier to judge and the ball won't drop out of the air from lack of lift.
  5. Hard 7i or soft 6i? Depends completely on the situation. Amped up? Need the ball to stop immediately? Then the answer would be different.
  6. Go to tee shot? Driver. :-)
  7. Chip and run or spinner? Easier to control. Most people can't rely on a spinner, especially if the lie is at all dodgy.
  8. When chipping off green, flagstick in or out? In, clearly, though many higher level players get this one wrong and hurt themselves in the process. https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/87552-leave-the-flagstick-in-and-tend-it-too/
  9. Most pressure you felt in golf. I dunno. Haven't really felt pressure in golf. It's just a game.

Respond outside of the quote boxes, please.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, Seals said:

5. Hard 7i or soft 6i?

6. Go to tee shot?

25+ Handicap

1 - 15 chip

2 - middle

3 - downhill

4 - into

5 - soft 6 i

6 - driver

7 - spinner

8 - in

9 - when a group behind us is waiting for me to tee off...

Edited by JRod4928

8 hours ago, Seals said:

Probably worse. . .40 foot putt. . .

Shoot for the center only. So, worse. . .

Attempt a flop shot downhill and prefer uphill lie, definitely worse than a pro.

Accuracy is a lot worse, so worse. . .

5. Hard 7i or soft 6i?

Worse.7i about 165 on the range, less on the course, of course. . .but I'd hit a hard 7 because I can't control distances on a soft shot of any kind.

6. Go to tee shot?

Definitely worse. Driver 258 yards average off the tee. 3W 238 off the tee.

Spinner. Worse. I have spurts of greatness but normally don't get up and downs that good.

In of course, but if someone takes it out, I don't make a huge fuss. . .

Before and after any shot, but not during a shot.

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I shoot somewhere in the mid-80s, drive the ball well but miss a lot of greens. 

1. 40 foot putt or 15 foot chip? 15ft chip.  I would get closer from 15 feet than I would from 40 feet.  Besides, like someone else said, I'd probably use a putter for that "15 foot chip."

2. Front, Middle, or Back hole location? Back.  I don't get much backspin; my shots tend to come down and roll forward, so the more green I have to work with, the better. 

3. Uphill or Downhill shot? Downhill.   Can't see the flag when hitting uphill.  I'm talking full shot here, not a chip shot or something like that.   

4. Downwind or into wind wedge shot? Probably into wind because of my trajectory.  I need for the ball to stop, and my shots tend to release and roll forward, so into the wind helps it stop by bringing it down vertically.  

5. Hard 7i or soft 6i? Soft 6.  Hard 7 iron would probably lead to a mis-hit due to my skill level.  Soft 6 iron is much easier for me.  I'd probably nail it over the green, but what the heck. 

6. Go to tee shot?   Driver is my best and most accurate club.  I don't even think about it, I just tee it up and hit it and it goes straight. 

7. Chip and run or spinner?  No opinion, really, although I understand that a spinner is very hard to predict how it's going to stop. 

8. When chipping off green, flagstick in or out?   In.  Doesn't really matter; I'm probably not going to threaten the hole anyway. 

9. Most pressure you felt in golf.   Many many years ago, when I was young haha, I had a $1 bet against a friend, 18 holes stroke play for one single dollar.  We both got to the 18th hole tied and we both had 3 foot putts.  He went first, and missed.  I went last, with a chance to win, and I missed.  That was the most pressure I've ever felt in golf.  Somehow, over 18 holes, winning that dollar had become very important. 

Edited by Marty2019

9 hours ago, Seals said:

About an 18 handicap 

1. 15 foot chip

2. Middle 

3. Downhill 

4. Into the wind

5. Soft 6i

6. Driver, fade

7. Chip & run

8. Flagstick in. 

9. First tee with group of guys (from TST!) I hadn't met before on a course I didn't know. And all I could see were trees everywhere. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Seals, We have a survey capability within our TST software. Next time consider using it.

State your handicap in responses... 23.0

1. 15 foot chip?

3. Uphill or Downhill shot? I can better see the green I'm hitting into.

4. Downwind or into wind wedge shot? I don't care.

5. Hard 7i or soft 6iI could choke down to shave off a few yards.

6. Go to tee shot? Driver, my best long club.

7. Chip and run or spinner? I use C+R a lot. Never use low spinner, it's too iffy.

9. Most pressure you felt in golf.  When my drive on a par 5 leaves me 215 yard from green. One of my better FW shots could get me on (or close), but I usually flub the shot.

10 hours ago, Seals said:

Edited by WUTiger

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2369 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!