IGNORED

What do you consider the most stupid rule in golf?

rstyle
Note: This thread is 3545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That rule is stupid. . . if I'm understanding it correctly,

The ball was dead and when he addressed it, it rolled up to the green? If my interpretation is correct that is a terrible rule

In My Edge Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw
3-Wood: Burner
3h,4h: Idea A2
Irons: 5-PW Idea A2Wedges: X-Tour 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot XGBall: OPB (Other People's Balls)

Yep. That's the rule. Completely ridiculous. I can't imagine if that had cost him the tournament. Not sure who could have ever thought that was a good rule to make.

Boo Weekly this week at the TPC receiving a penalty for his ball blowing on the green. Why is this a penalty on the player once they address the ball?

This rule is give and take, too. We saw this at the TPC. A player went to mark his ball, the wind came up and blew the ball about six feet closer to the hole. Guess what? He gained six feet. He did not have to remark the ball and made birdie.

As for the wind, if Goydos hits a bad shot and the wind helps him, should he be rewarded? This is golf and unpredictability is part of the game.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

For the responses about the ball moving after you address it: on windy conditions, don't ground your club at address. Then if it moves, you haven't addressed it according to the rules, and it's not a penalty.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Boo Weekly this week at the TPC receiving a penalty for his ball blowing on the green. Why is this a penalty on the player once they address the ball?

Because he had addressed the ball. It's a widely known, easy to understand rule. If he was afraid of the wind moving his ball, he should have hovered his putter or something.

You're responsible if your ball moves after you've addressed it. Pretty simple.
I guess it's the stroke + distance rule for an OB shot. Laying two after the drop should be enough of a penalty, rather than laying 3 after re-hitting.

Don't hit OB. Lost ball is stroke and distance, too. OB, used strategically, can be a good thing from a course design perspective. Or to protect areas where golfers should do their best to avoid hitting the ball (given the strict penalty).

Yep. That's the rule. Completely ridiculous. I can't imagine if that had cost him the tournament. Not sure who could have ever thought that was a good rule to make.

It helps maintain consistency. Once you address the ball, you're responsible for it. If they suddenly started adding in a bunch of exceptions, the rule would be ten times as complex as it is now.

The rule is fine. And c'mon, how often does that ever happen? Don't ground your club. Simple solution.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Golf has many stupid rules. You are better off missing the ball completely than you are hooking it into the water.

My draw is your cut.

My bag-
Driver- Callaway X460 Tour. 9.5 degree, Fujikura stiff.
3-Wood- Taylor Made V-SteelUtility- Nickent 3DX 17 degreeIrons (3-PW) Ping S59'sWedges Cleveland 900 series 58 degree, Titleist Vokey 54 degree SWPutter- Scotty Cameron Circa #2Ball- Taylor Made Tour Red

Yeah, after the rehit (and if it was a second shot, lol..) I might have gotten confused.

You have.

On a tee ball you would be laying 4 on the drop as I understand the ruling. OB is bad news, man.

No. The penalty for hitting OB is stroke and distance - that's it.

That means you suffer a penalty stroke and have to play from where you hit the ball OB. If it's off the tee (first shot) you have to hit from where you hit OB (so off the tee) and suffer a penalty shot. After hitting, you will be lying three. The only way you'll be lying 5 is if you do it again!

All of you that are commenting back saying "It's simple. Don't address the ball if the wind is blowing", are missing the point.

Boo Weekly was being very careful not to address the ball when the wind was gusting. He waited a bit, but when he stepped back up and grounded his club the wind blew again. Your club needs to be grounded for at least 1 second to hit a decent putt.

You can't predict when the wind is going to blow and he can't sit down and wait 5 minutes to ensure the wind is gone for good. It's a stupid rule.

As far as Goydos getting robbed by the wind, he did. 72 holes of golf shouldn't be decided by one swing of the club. On any other hole, he hits that shot and comes up a little short of the green. If they were playing 17 followed by 18, maybe it's a little more fair.

Like many others have said on this board since Sunday, having a playoff on just #17 is just amateur.

• Administrator
All of you that are commenting back saying "It's simple. Don't address the ball if the wind is blowing", are missing the point.

No, we're not. We're disagreeing with your point, we're not "missing" it.

Also, see my post above about the massive number of exceptions you'd need to add.
Your club needs to be grounded for at least 1 second to hit a decent putt.

No, it doesn't.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
I hate it when you are forced to hit out of a divot in the middle of the fairway. I think that is a stupid rule.

And this is where I point out that

we've had this discussion before. Do a search. And for what I hope is the last time, "play the ball as it lies" is not a stupid rule just because you occasionally get a bad break. You get good ones, too.

I really don't like the play it out of a divot rule, especially when there's a creek or something similar between you and the green, which normally wouldn't come into play.

I've seen this happen, and it happens daily, at my home course:

Crows early in the morning will flip divots up out of their hole looking for worms! There are these crazy divots lying out on the fairways AFTER the mower has been around. They steal my sammiches, too, if I'm careless.

Golfunit

In the Bag:

Driver: FT-5 10° Speeder 652 Stiff4-Wood: Taylor Made V-Steel Regular 14.5ºHybrids: Taylor Made Mid 19º and 22ºIrons 4-W MP-60 DG S300Wedges: MP-T 51°06 and 56°10Putter: Red-X

I think having to play from a divot in the fairway is stupid. Particularly in PGA tournaments when on the last day a hundred or more players landed and hit a second shot from the same area. Why does one player have to be penalized for ending up in a divot. It is not the way the course was at the beginning of the tournament and it is not the usual state of the course.

I see your point...and get it!!! Through no fault of the player he has a bad lie.

+1 for your rule. The other one that has always bothered me is the ball moving after the player addresses the ball. Sure...if they are adressing the ball and doing weird waggles or pre-shot stoking, etc...then yeah, slap the penalty if they strike the ball. But having the wind blow your ball while you are about to putt.....ouch.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I think the OB rule should be changed to just distance. I think you should still have to replay the shot, but how many of us have it OB on a par 4, then hit a great drive and realized, crap, I've got to hole this thing just to make a par. Or, I've got to birdie it just to make a bogey. Most of us walk off the green with either double or triple. It is insane to me. Plus, it would speed up play in a lot of tournaments.

I agree on the distance rule. My "blow-up" holes usually begin with an OB drive off the tee, after which I am pressing to save bogey. It is usually downhill from there...

In My Grom Bag:
Rapture Driver (10.5*)
Rapture 3 wood (14*)
G5 22* Hybrid
Eye 2+ (Blue-Dot) 4-PW iWedge 54/60 PAL-2i (Isopur); G2 ZSB Pro V1xHome Course: Rio Salado Golf Club (63.6/101)

Definitely the wind rule that Boo was hit with. It's just plain not fair.

People gripe all day long that Goydos' ball got hit by a gust of wind, yet a lot people think this rule is okay. I don't get it.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

I really don't like the play it out of a divot rule

This should never happen. Golfers should replace their divots. It drives me nuts that they don't do this. I have playing partners that will search five, six minutes for a ball but won't take two minutes to grab the grass and fix the divot.

It actually gets worse for those that use carts. Most carts come with bottles that contain sand so that you can fill a divot. It takes, oh, about 30 seconds to do this and rarely do I see it.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I'm going to have to go with the two stroke penalty for telling someone what club you used if you ask. Someone asked then called it on me during a tournament last year and it cost me a top three spot.

Tour Burner 10.5 Stiff
Burner 3/4 Hybrids
Burner 5-AW S-Flex
C-Grooved Marilyn
Ozone Stand Bag

This should never happen. Golfers should replace their divots. It drives me nuts that they don't do this. I have playing partners that will search five, six minutes for a ball but won't take two minutes to grab the grass and fix the divot.

Have you ever sprayed a divot?

It's impossible to fix.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 3545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!