IGNORED

I seem to be a 1 plane swinger?

yanni
Note: This thread is 2236 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I did a recording of my swing yesterday with some golf swing analyzer app. The viewport was from behind so I could see the swing plane. After recording I was comparing my swing with some other players videos.
In the videos I compared there were to lines. One for the backswing which was a lot steeper and one for the downswing that was more shallow. What I noticed with my swing that the downswing plane is very similar to the videos but the upswing plane is not at all. Actually my downswing is just a tiny bit flatter then my upswing and the upswing is very shallow compared to the other players. I really tried to change this but I could not do it at all. Then I realized there is actually a name for this kind of swing and other successfull golfers seem to use this. 

In my opinion if you don't know you swing like this it leads to some problems when following instructions. There was instructions like "On the downswing you have to swing from inside out and lower your plane and let your arms fall". I tried this again and again and it did not make any sense to me. Now I know I was already swinging on the correct plane. I don't have to do anything. This also explains I never had a big problems with slices and was always hitting pretty straight. But I had problems with good ball contact. I think the setup position for the one swing plane should be a little different from what I read. I just ordered a book which compares the two swing thoughts.

Does anybody else seem to swing on a one plane ?

• Administrator

Do you have a video?

Various definitions for a "one-plane swing" exist, but the most common definition is that the left (lead) arm plane matches the shoulder pitch at A4 (top of the backswing).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I talked to my pro about this. He confirmed I got a one plane swing. He told me his not forcing anybody in a plane. But he prefers using this plane for amateurs since he thinks its more easy to learn. So actually I use the plane I learned from him. 

A co-worker recently insisted on loaning me a video called The Plane Truth by Jim Hardy. I thinks it's a somewhat highly regarded book/video. He said something about it changing the way I play golf, Lol.

Hardy talks about how it's ok to have either swing (single or two plane), but that there are certain things you shouldn't mix up between the two.

I didn't get through all three dvd's. I'm sure it's beneficial to some who can understand instruction and apply it to their swing.

Jon

2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

A co-worker recently insisted on loaning me a video called The Plane Truth by Jim Hardy. I thinks it's a somewhat highly regarded book/video. He said something about it changing the way I play golf, Lol.

Hardy talks about how it's ok to have either swing (single or two plane), but that there are certain things you shouldn't mix up between the two.

I didn't get through all three dvd's. I'm sure it's beneficial to some who can understand instruction and apply it to their swing.

The common criticism of Jim Hardy is that his two swings are just patterns that not everyone fits into. They oversimplify the swing. That, and some of his ideas aren't exactly correct.

Lots of slicers who work on the one plane swing just end up underplane with their trail elbow pulled behind them and then still swing OTT to hit the ball. Being underplane reduces the amount left (for a righty) that their OTT move causes, reducing their slice or possibly even producing a draw. Its kind of a band-aid fix. If a player stops swinging OTT, the plane shifts too far to the right and it produces hooks.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

The common criticism of Jim Hardy is that his two swings are just patterns that not everyone fits into. They oversimplify the swing. That, and some of his ideas aren't exactly correct.

Lots of slicers who work on the one plane swing just end up underplane with their trail elbow pulled behind them and then still swing OTT to hit the ball. Being underplane reduces the amount left (for a righty) that their OTT move causes, reducing their slice or possibly even producing a draw. Its kind of a band-aid fix. If a player stops swinging OTT, the plane shifts too far to the right and it produces hooks.

I almost posted that about the elbow. That was the point in the video that I lost interest. He talked about allowing  the trail elbow to go behind the shirt seam and is something Erik advises against. I seem to do better when I keep it more in front.

• Like 1

Jon

2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

I almost posted that about the elbow. That was the point in the video that I lost interest. He talked about allowing  the trail elbow to go behind the shirt seam and is something Erik advises against. I seem to do better when I keep it more in front.

ditto on that.  That is one tip that has benefited me most. I try not to allow the trail elbow get behind the shirt seam and keep the elbow semi-tucked early on. I get the feel of "drawing a line with my elbow". At the same time, I found that in doing so, I had to really work on allowing the elbow to separate from the torso a little (sort of let it float up somewhat). That being said, I recently went back to a more natural, non-contrived, swing, but still keeping trail side from going past the shirt seam.

• Upvote 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 4 months later...

Hi....I am one plane swinger too...have a nice journey on your game.

Journey of My Moe Norman's Inspired Golf Swing. Yes I know, it is going to be ROUGH journey.

Driver : MacGregor Mactec NVG.............(2005 model, cheapest forgiving driver that I can bought)

3 Wood : Ena Golf...................................(?year? cheap one but I like the impact)

7 Wood : XXIO.........................................(2005 model, from my dad)

5 Rescue : Tourstage ViQ........................(2008 model)

Irons : XXIO MP200.................................(2003 model, from my dad)

Wedge : Cleveland Becu 56 deg.............(cheapest old wedge that I can bought)

My self taught Swing Theard : My Swing (efdeel74)

What is it about a one plane swing that feels different than a two plane swing?  Is it the set up, or the take away or what?  I'm asking because I feel like I'm stuck between the two; some swings feel one plane and others do not.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On 3/10/2018 at 9:04 AM, Piz said:

What is it about a one plane swing that feels different than a two plane swing?  Is it the set up, or the take away or what?  I'm asking because I feel like I'm stuck between the two; some swings feel one plane and others do not.

some of your swings feel one plane and others do not; maybe it because of different of shaft lenght?

even Bryson Decambeau make all his iron in same lenght to make the same swing for all his irons.

I saw a video that Bryson using planeswing like this in his training :

PLANESWING_18a93b25-6f80-4acb-bf7e-55ba7

I think...it will definetely make our swing in one plane in whole swing, from start to finish.

We dont have to using that swing aid, but just to have a better picture what one plane is.

Journey of My Moe Norman's Inspired Golf Swing. Yes I know, it is going to be ROUGH journey.

Driver : MacGregor Mactec NVG.............(2005 model, cheapest forgiving driver that I can bought)

3 Wood : Ena Golf...................................(?year? cheap one but I like the impact)

Wedge : Cleveland Becu 56 deg.............(cheapest old wedge that I can bought)

• Administrator
3 hours ago, efdeel74 said:

some of your swings feel one plane and others do not; maybe it because of different of shaft lenght?

even Bryson Decambeau make all his iron in same lenght to make the same swing for all his irons.

I saw a video that Bryson using planeswing like this in his training :

PLANESWING_18a93b25-6f80-4acb-bf7e-55ba7

I think...it will definetely make our swing in one plane in whole swing, from start to finish.

We dont have to using that swing aid, but just to have a better picture what one plane is.

FWIW that doesn't guarantee the shaft stays on the same plane, or the sweet spot, or the hands. It only guarantees that one part of the shaft stays on the same plane.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

still looking someone here that developed 1 plane swing...

we are like dinosaur :D very rare

There was a guy on here who swung single axis. Think his name was rustyredcrab or something. Going by his post's he was kinda like TST's very own Moe Norman of sorts.

He hasnt posted for going on 4 years so may have given up the game, gotten busy, or jumped to one of the "alternative" golf swing forums.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 2236 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!