IGNORED

No "full" shots inside ~150 yards

Note: This thread is 2341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Lihu said:

Specifically, how would you disagree on this?

By stating what I did, all I meant is it's not possible to judge with 100% certainty a person's potential by watching them do a few actions on a video or even in person. You'd have to work with them for a while to really know.

I agree with what you're saying here.

I guess I was thinking in terms of someone like Erik or Mike having more credibility from watching a student take some swings than someone like Jack just looking at a handicap and making assumptions.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Marty, you have a "broke 80" award. I'd say you can do a helluva lot of things I cannot. I can't speak for anyone else, but when I claim to be "pretty good" at something, it's relative to the rest of my game or maybe what I think others at my index can do.

But our games are what they are. Meaning, for anything I might excel at, there are obviously many others I struggle with. Otherwise, I wouldn't be shooting high scores.

BTW, I can't flight a shot. Unless I have to get under a branch, I don't even try to change trajectory on my shots. The only way I know how to hit any iron shot - partial or full swing - is to keep the trajectory high. While that might help me hold an occasional green, I don't get a lot of distance and it makes playing in a strong wind that much more difficult.

If I excel at anything (and I'm not sure I do, even at my level) it's an ability to hit greens or near greens with partial swings at various distances from 130 yds and in. Unfortunately, that skill doesn't make up for all the other things I'm so awful at.

Point taken. 

My irons are my weakness.  I have enough trouble just making consistent solid contact.  So I don't swing very hard at them, and I don't hit them very far, and I guess I don't hit them hard enough or with enough downward force to make the ball spin.  And I certainly don't have enough skill with them to attempt different trajectories or different spin rates.  But you are right.  We're all different.  I put my drive in the fairway, from there I aim towards the center of the green.  I couldn't spin the ball back if you put a gun to my head. 

Edited by Marty2019
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

I couldn't spin the ball back if you put a gun to my head. 

Lol. Same here. I'll settle for decent contact and somewhat in the general direction of my target. Maybe someday that won't be good enough.

Jon

3 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

Point taken. 

My irons are my weakness.  I have enough trouble just making consistent solid contact.  So I don't swing very hard at them, and I don't hit them very far, and I guess I don't hit them hard enough or with enough downward force to make the ball spin.  And I certainly don't have enough skill with them to attempt different trajectories or different spin rates.  But you are right.  We're all different.  I put my drive in the fairway, from there I aim towards the center of the green.  I couldn't spin the ball back if you put a gun to my head.

2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Lol. Same here. I'll settle for decent contact and somewhat in the general direction of my target. Maybe someday that won't be good enough.

The whole point of this thread is that you don't have to be able to spin the ball back. There are plenty of golfers scoring low who don't. They pick a longer club that they can control and roll right up the green.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

46 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

My apologies @Lihu

I really hope you're joking, because otherwise I should be apologizing to you for making you feel bad? If I did, then I apologize!

All I meant is that this thread is dedicated to not attempting to spin every shot back to improve your chances of scoring better. The fact that neither of you two can spin a ball enough to stop and drop or roll back is irrelevant to scoring much better according to this thread and what I've seen on the course.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

A couple of other bonus side effects of taking extra club and not hitting “full” shots are that

a) you’re tempo can be improved because you’re never feeling like you need to kill it.

b) your ballstriking is also likely to improve for the same reason - you’re taking a shorter and smoother swing.

c) another thing I’ve found is that even bad shots sometimes aren’t so bad - I hit it really fat and instead of coming up 15 yards short in the bunker, it’s puttable from the front fringe.

(Just a couple other things to think about) :)

• Like 1

Thanks @billchao. I've read the topic before and just skimmed through the first couple of pages again this morning. I think this is one of those skills that might make more sense to me when/if I develop a better game.

As I mentioned early on this thread, I don't use a normal setup/swing with any club below an 8 (on rare occasions I'll take a full 9i). It allows for better dispersion and contact than if I were to use a full swing and shorter club from the same distance. I assume that's the same idea behind a flighted shot.

The difference is that I'm not getting the roll from my type of shot that I would with a lower trajectory flighted shot.

I've practiced the lower trajectory shots with longer clubs while working on keys and it is easier to control dispersion and contact when compared to a full swing. But to bring more roll into the equation seems to be complicating things when I can get the same dispersion with better distance control the way I presently do it.

I know I'm wrong about this because of who uses flighted shots (good players, the pros...). It just doesn't make sense to me right now. 

Jon

@JonMA1, read through what @Golfingdad wrote. That makes the most sense.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

42 minutes ago, Lihu said:

@JonMA1, read through what @Golfingdad wrote. That makes the most sense.

I did and it does. Please read through my previous post and see how I posted the same thing almost simultaneously as @Golfingdad.

I understand the improved contact/control of a flighted shot because, as mentioned, I use similar mechanics when practicing.

My point was that even though the shot I use for short approaches is not a flighted shot, I experience improved contact, improved distance control, improved dispersion AND LESS ROLL. Meaning, I can usually (more than half the time) drop a shot between a bunker and the back of a small green from 125 yds and under. (I'll accept the possibility that I'm a bit delusional on my success, but my GG stats seem to back it up.)

This will make sense to me at some point, I'm sure. Right now it doesn't and would probably require a live demonstration by someone skilled at these shots. I can't emphasize this enough... I know I'm wrong.

Jon

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

A couple of other bonus side effects of taking extra club and not hitting “full” shots are that

a) you’re tempo can be improved because you’re never feeling like you need to kill it.

b) your ballstriking is also likely to improve for the same reason - you’re taking a shorter and smoother swing.

c) another thing I’ve found is that even bad shots sometimes aren’t so bad - I hit it really fat and instead of coming up 15 yards short in the bunker, it’s puttable from the front fringe.

(Just a couple other things to think about) :)

+1 to all three of these points.

I find my contact is a better, even if I catch the shot a hair thick. 

There's more than one way to play this game. Just like everyone's swing is unique. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

I did and it does. Please read through my previous post and see how I posted the same thing almost simultaneously as @Golfingdad.

I understand the improved contact/control of a flighted shot because, as mentioned, I use similar mechanics when practicing.

My point was that even though the shot I use for short approaches is not a flighted shot, I experience improved contact, improved distance control, improved dispersion AND LESS ROLL. Meaning, I can usually (more than half the time) drop a shot between a bunker and the back of a small green from 125 yds and under. (I'll accept the possibility that I'm a bit delusional on my success, but my GG stats seem to back it up.)

This will make sense to me at some point, I'm sure. Right now it doesn't and would probably require a live demonstration by someone skilled at these shots. I can't emphasize this enough... I know I'm wrong.

Yes, it's surprising that you can get a ball to stop or slow down with a partial swing or even a putting stroke.

The ball you use likely makes a big difference in these cases.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

48 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yes, it's surprising that you can get a ball to stop or slow down with a partial swing or even a putting stroke.

I'm not sure how or why I get the high trajectory I get on my partial swings, but there's a lot of wrist hinge so I'm coming into the ball at a steeper angle. That seems much different than the swing described for a flighted shot. Is that correct?

Jon

I went back to this again today and got some good results. Still need to work on learning my distances, though. I don't know what happened, but on a few shots, I came up 10 yards short of what I was expecting and I struck them well. Got lazy with the tempo, maybe, and took off too much from the shot.

The control on my flight line is terrific, though. I learned today that short and on my intended line is a better miss than pin high and to the left (or right) most of the time. It leaves me with a good up and down opportunity because I'm likely to be in the fairway cut in front of the green as opposed to a questionable lie in the greenside rough or in a bunker (though I did end up in a bunker I was trying to carry). A couple of the "short" misses ended up as GIR anyway.

I'm going to stick with this.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!