IGNORED

Will I ever be able to use my driver without slicing!?

Joefree
Note: This thread is 2309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 hours ago, Joefree said:

My kingdom for for a good golf pro. 

Fortunately, you're in the right place. As myself, @RandallT, @billchao, @saevel25 and numerous others will attest, the evolvr site run by the same guys who set this site up is fantastic. You get a dedicated pro, who definitely knows what they are talking about - I've had so many responses where the one thing that they pick out for you to focus on is exactly the one thing you need - and it's therefore time well-invested. Have a look at: evolvr.thegolfevolution.com

Additionally, I'd recommend looking at other people's Member Swing threads. Without wanting to sound too precious, mine demonstrates a lot of improvement since starting with evolvr - check the first couple and last couple of posts for comparison.

As for the initial question of 'will I ever be able to hit driver without slicing?', the answer is definitely yes. It just takes a bit of work on a few fundamentals, but everyone is capable of curing a slice. That's the good news - just takes willpower and, as others have said, dedication to practising slowly and properly :-)

• Upvote 1

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, Patch said:

Do 100 slow, dry (no ball) swings doing this, as mentioned above. 

I don't like this as a primary method for changing the picture. As soon as you put a ball in front of someone, they'll revert back to their old mechanics.

A more effective way is to hit a ball like this:

15 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Again, very, very slowly...like 30% speed. if the ball carries 120 yards, so be it. All you're trying to do is change the picture, even if it's a slight change with a slower swing (you might be surprised how far a 30% swing can go).

Practice at the edge of your ability, as described here: 

If you can't do something at 80% but can at 60%, then keep working at 60% until you can do it faster.

The no ball swings are fine as an additional drill for supplemental practice, but working properly while hitting a ball is much more effective. And even then, I do the no ball stuff really, really slowly, and they're exaggerated moves.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

There are so many things that can create an out to in swing path. I would change your setup at address by having your hands closer to your body. Your hands should be about a fist length from your body. 

I noticed your club goes to the inside on the back swing. If you can get your club going back on plane then your chances of delivering the club on plane on the downswing goes up. Focus on taking the club back with your shoulders and arms as one unit.

It is hard to see from the angle of the camera, but on the backswing, are you getting any weight shift to your right leg? A reverse pivot will create an over the top move. This is where your weight remains on the left leg on the back swing. The only move from here is either to fall back and flip your wrist through the ball or in your case an over the top move.

Hope this feedback helps. Please feel free to reach out for more in depth drills.

Improving one shot at a time.

As with the others, I also would say yes , you can do it. 

However, the definitions depend on just how slice free you want to be. A slight fade is an easier shot to play than a draw for most. 

I spent the first half of 2017 , before my back gave in, battling this. A slice is still my natural tendency, but I seldom do the type of banana shots that I did a year ago , and a far higher percentage make the fairway. I'm actually now more interested in eliminating the cause of my occasional snap hooks, because I know my slice tendency is controllable and I can adjust for it.

On 31/12/2017 at 10:45 PM, colin007 said:

Your path is well left at impact. It's gonna keep slicing until you fix that.

Not to be rude, I appreciate you’re trying to help,  but if you read my post you’d see I’m fully aware why a slice happens.

On 31/12/2017 at 11:18 PM, Piz said:

Try landing the ball where you are afraid it will go.  Set up square and knock it down the right side...into the rough if necessary.  Chances are your visual concept of straight is flawed; like mine was, years ago, when I sliced the long clubs.  An instructor asked me to do just that...land the ball on the right edge of the fairway.  It took me a while to get the hang of it; but it worked.  Initially I was blocking the ball right.  I finally began to imagine what particular spin I was putting on the ball.  Once I got the balance of that; I was able to release thru the ball with a specific intention i.e. to put a slight counter-clockwise rotation (looking down fro the top) on the object.  Like putting "english" on a cue ball.  When all was done; I realized that I'd been worrying about what might happen rather than causing something to happen; and that I had more responsibility, and influence, than I had previously considered.

I have tried this, for me it just didn’t work. Thank you though. 

17 hours ago, OGLP said:

There are so many things that can create an out to in swing path. I would change your setup at address by having your hands closer to your body. Your hands should be about a fist length from your body. 

I noticed your club goes to the inside on the back swing. If you can get your club going back on plane then your chances of delivering the club on plane on the downswing goes up. Focus on taking the club back with your shoulders and arms as one unit.

It is hard to see from the angle of the camera, but on the backswing, are you getting any weight shift to your right leg? A reverse pivot will create an over the top move. This is where your weight remains on the left leg on the back swing. The only move from here is either to fall back and flip your wrist through the ball or in your case an over the top move.

Hope this feedback helps. Please feel free to reach out for more in depth drills.

I am definitely coming back on the inside, it’s something I’m working on. It helps my ball striking when I get it right, but I still hit the same shape of shot. 

7 hours ago, Moxley said:

As with the others, I also would say yes , you can do it. 

However, the definitions depend on just how slice free you want to be. A slight fade is an easier shot to play than a draw for most. 

I spent the first half of 2017 , before my back gave in, battling this. A slice is still my natural tendency, but I seldom do the type of banana shots that I did a year ago , and a far higher percentage make the fairway. I'm actually now more interested in eliminating the cause of my occasional snap hooks, because I know my slice tendency is controllable and I can adjust for it.

I would be more than happy with a consistent fade, I’m in no way expecting to hit drivers with a draw any time soon. I would be happy with a consistent payable ball path. 

Anyway, I think I have an idea of what I need to work on to get hitting some better shots thanks to @phillyk I’ve been working on starting the swing with my lower body more and getting it more active, and trying to get my club to drop in to that slot to get a flatter swing path.

although I still have a long way to go, when I get these 2 things right (which isn’t very often at the moment) I hit a really nice golf shot. My divots are a lot straighter some even out to in with a nice draw. My ball striking has got to pot though ha. 

I appriciate all your help, I have some thinks I can work on now which I didn’t before.

happy golfing all. 

22 minutes ago, Joefree said:

Anyway, I think I have an idea of what I need to work on to get hitting some better shots thanks to @phillyk I’ve been working on starting the swing with my lower body more and getting it more active, and trying to get my club to drop in to that slot to get a flatter swing path.

although I still have a long way to go, when I get these 2 things right (which isn’t very often at the moment) I hit a really nice golf shot. My divots are a lot straighter some even out to in with a nice draw. My ball striking has got to pot though ha. 

I appriciate all your help, I have some thinks I can work on now which I didn’t before.

happy golfing all. 

I’m glad it’s working out for you!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

On 12/31/2017 at 10:16 AM, Joefree said:

I imagine there’s countless threads on here about out-to-in swing paths, but I like to think I’m different haha. 

I’ve been playing golf on and off for about 7 years now, I play off 18.  I’ve had probably about 30 hours of lessons specifically with the intention of fixing my swing path.  Sometimes I think I’ve got it then a week later...back to slicing my driver again, or hitting big pushes or other out to in related issues.  Some times it bring me to dispare.

I have tried absolutely everything from lessons, to swing training aids and it gets me no where.  Just wondering if anyone here has been through as much pain blood sweat and tears as I am in the persuit of a swing path that’s not out to in. 

You can, but not without hooking it first. :-D

• Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

36 minutes ago, Lihu said:

You can, but not without hooking it first. :-D

Haha I’m think my next problem will be a straight push. Been hitting a lot of them! Then maybe a hook ?

Just now, Joefree said:

Haha I’m think my next problem will be a straight push. Been hitting a lot of them! Then maybe a hook ?

It's all about the stages of development. Totally forgot about the straight push stage. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

33 minutes ago, Lihu said:

It's all about the stages of development. Totally forgot about the straight push stage. :-D

Haha, I love hitting a straight push right now. It feels like progress. Super excited about the up and coming hook though! 

Note: This thread is 2309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!