IGNORED

Will I ever be able to use my driver without slicing!?

Joefree
Note: This thread is 2295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I imagine there’s countless threads on here about out-to-in swing paths, but I like to think I’m different haha. 

I’ve been playing golf on and off for about 7 years now, I play off 18.  I’ve had probably about 30 hours of lessons specifically with the intention of fixing my swing path.  Sometimes I think I’ve got it then a week later...back to slicing my driver again, or hitting big pushes or other out to in related issues.  Some times it bring me to dispare.

I have tried absolutely everything from lessons, to swing training aids and it gets me no where.  Just wondering if anyone here has been through as much pain blood sweat and tears as I am in the persuit of a swing path that’s not out to in. 

Edited by RandallT
Removed .mov attachment

In my mind, this is a really a question about how to learn. How to ingrain a new muscle pattern.

First, I’d read this:

Are you doing what needs to be done at slow speeds, and verifying it all by video? Then speeding up bit by bit.

From my experience, we each have major sticking points that have no shortcut.  You’ve gotta go through it bit by bit, and you’ll get through it. 

For you, it’s the in to out issue, but for me, it’s a different flaw. But the process to get through it is probably the same, as is the frustration of not getting past the issue more quickly. 

Also, I enjoyed this thread on the learning process: 

Edited by RandallT
Minor spelling tweaks
  • Thumbs Up 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a Cobra S3 Max which has a built in offset. It is an old club but I hit it straight, maybe with a fade, the offset really helps me. Now I have tried four other drivers over the years including the Cobra S2 (old), Cobra Amp Cell, Cleveland Classic, and recently the Ping G. They are all sitting in my garage because I slice with all of them. But not with the Cobra offset S3 Max, go figure. 

Cobra is out with a new offset driver, the Max offset. I'm looking at buying a 2017 model which is on sale at the PGA online store, I think for ~$129 or so dollars. I may pull the trigger today but I'm trying to decide what it will give me over my trusted S3 Max, a couple of extra yards, maybe?

Thanks @RandallT I appreciate that.

i don’t really know what to work on I think that is the crooks of the problem. Every time I have a lesson I seem to get a different work on point and I always wind up back where I started. Nothing seems to help. Because of a lack of progress and some very poor golf tuition (some good too) I’ve lost faith in what I’m getting taught.  Ergo...nothing specific to work on. 

1 minute ago, cooke119 said:

I use a Cobra S3 Max which has a built in offset. It is an old club but I hit it straight, maybe with a fade, the offset really helps me.

I have been fitted for a set of clubs professionally, I’ve a Taylormade M2, which I can adjust, it does help but eventually I start slicing again.

1 minute ago, Joefree said:

i don’t really know what to work on I think that is the crooks of the problem. Every time I have a lesson I seem to get a different work on point and I always wind up back where I started. Nothing seems to help. Because of a lack of progress and some very poor golf tuition (some good too) I’ve lost faith in what I’m getting taught.  Ergo...nothing specific to work on. 

For what it’s worth, the specific thing has been key for me. When I go to the range, I now look forward to figuring out the one or two key things I’ll work on.

Also, one of the best things about this site is the “Member Swing” threads.  You’ll get specific advice on what to focus on and encouragement to bust through that priority. 

Have you started one by chance? If not, think about it. (Sorry I should know, but I’m on my phone and too lazy to shift windows to check!:-P)

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

6 minutes ago, Joefree said:

I have been fitted for a set of clubs professionally, I’ve a Taylormade M2, which I can adjust, it does help but eventually I start slicing again.

I have tried adjusting drivers to the "draw" position with little result. The built in offset on my Cobra is much more than any adjustment I could make on other drivers, It helps me. Having said that, you should still work on your swing as I do. I take the Ping G to the range and work on my swing with little result. I have taken three sets of lessons, three different teachers, with little result, I still sliced the driver. I know people with say the offset is a bandaid but until I can hit a driver straight I will continue to use it.

2 minutes ago, Joefree said:

@RandallT I haven’t, but I think I will. Thanks. 

Good luck!  

Ill ask future posters in this thread to refrain from specific swing advice on the video above. Our standard here at TST is to have these discussions on those Member Swing threads.

Basically: we prefer this thread not degenerate into a “JoeFree” swing thread by a different name. 

But any general advice on how to get through this swing flaw is appreciated. I can definitely see others having ideas there. 

My Swing

One way for a right handed golfer to fix an out to in swing is to swing the club head towards right field. A baseball right field. 

By that I mean imagine you are at home plate. Then, set up square like you want to hit the golf ball over second base into center field. However, when you swing the club head, swing it towards right field. Even first base works. 

By swinging the club head to right field, from a square to 2nd base set up, it is virtually (almost) impossible to swing from out to in. Do 100 slow, dry (no ball) swings doing this, as mentioned above. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

40 minutes ago, Patch said:

One way for a right handed golfer to fix an out to in swing is to swing the club head towards right field. A baseball right field.

I have done this to death, it’s actually what I’m attempting in the video I posted. It doesn’t work for me.

thankyou though.

From the video, your swing looks to be a little out to in, kinda hard to tell with the camera angle.  The swing is also very arm-sy and the face stays wide open at impact.  You need to get your hips moving early from the top, to open space for your hands to drop into the slot.  Right now, you've already swung to nearly A5 before your hips started rotating. 

I guess, I'd start there.  Go to the top of your swing and start with a small rotation, of the hips, to your left, and then allow your hands to start dropping.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Try landing the ball where you are afraid it will go.  Set up square and knock it down the right side...into the rough if necessary.  Chances are your visual concept of straight is flawed; like mine was, years ago, when I sliced the long clubs.  An instructor asked me to do just that...land the ball on the right edge of the fairway.  It took me a while to get the hang of it; but it worked.  Initially I was blocking the ball right.  I finally began to imagine what particular spin I was putting on the ball.  Once I got the balance of that; I was able to release thru the ball with a specific intention i.e. to put a slight counter-clockwise rotation (looking down fro the top) on the object.  Like putting "english" on a cue ball.  When all was done; I realized that I'd been worrying about what might happen rather than causing something to happen; and that I had more responsibility, and influence, than I had previously considered.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

4 hours ago, Joefree said:

I have tried absolutely everything from lessons, to swing training aids and it gets me no where.  Just wondering if anyone here has been through as much pain blood sweat and tears as I am in the persuit of a swing path that’s not out to in. 

I'm a high capper so please take this advice for what it's worth.

I think a lot of us have had to work hard on this. For some of us, it will probably be something that will continue to rear it's ugly head.

1. Remember, all you have to do is bring your ball flight to the point where it's less of a slice and more of a fade. You don't have to hit a draw.
  2. You seem to know the cause so you know what needs to change (assuming you know the ball flight laws). You just haven't found out "how".
  3. If what you've tried hasn't worked as you've said, exaggerate what you think might work but do it very slowly.

If none of the swing thoughts or drills from your instructors have worked, try some things that feel extreme or completely different than what you're used to. Maybe start your swing from A5... maybe just try some different thoughts.

Again, very, very slowly...like 30% speed. if the ball carries 120 yards, so be it. All you're trying to do is change the picture, even if it's a slight change with a slower swing (you might be surprised how far a 30% swing can go).

I have no doubt you can do this. But keep in mind you may have 7 years of bad habits to overcome.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Jon

47 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

I have no doubt you can do this. But keep in mind you may have 7 years of bad habits to overcome  

I think this is the issue I’m having, what ever I’m doing is very ingrained into my swing. 

My kingdom for for a good golf pro. 

If I can straighten out my swing I am guessing pretty much anyone can. For me, I had a major breakthrough since picking up a SKLZ Gold Flex swing trainer. ( similar to an Orange Whip) By using it for a few minutes a day I am learning to focus on my swing TEMPO. It seems to work. I am swinging with the same tempo consistently and am slicing a lot less.

This may not be what you need to fix your slice, but it is something to consider.

11 hours ago, phillyk said:

From the video, your swing looks to be a little out to in, kinda hard to tell with the camera angle.  The swing is also very arm-sy and the face stays wide open at impact.  You need to get your hips moving early from the top, to open space for your hands to drop into the slot.  Right now, you've already swung to nearly A5 before your hips started rotating. 

I guess, I'd start there.  Go to the top of your swing and start with a small rotation, of the hips, to your left, and then allow your hands to start dropping.

Thanks mate, That really makes sense to me. I think when I took that video I was thinking a lot about my shoulder turn and arm position, which has made my swing more armsey then usual. It’s definitely out-to-in.

i’d been doing some drills at home in the mirror to flatten my down swing and found that to do this I needed to drop my hands at the start of the swing. In turn I noticed how much in the way my hips were. So it’s good to get confirmation from someone else about it. 

Note: This thread is 2295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!