IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 3 - another extended range session and with the Mevo, it's getting easier and easier to work on my weaknesses. I uploaded putting and 7 iron videos to evolvr yesterday, so took a bit of a break from the positional work. Session broke down like this:

First 30 minutes: gauging feel of 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 swings with wedges and charting distances for PW and GW
Second 20 minutes: working on tee shots - height on driver, challenging myself to raise the launch angle above 17 degrees and contact with hybrid and 3 iron. Turns out the simple issue with the hybrid that I spotted on video was that I was setting up with it too far toward the toe, hence the poor strikes. Sorted that easily and strikes and flight were back to where they normally are :-)
Final 10 minutes: Pitching game to random distances - more on this in the Mevo thread, but definitely getting better!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 3 January 3.   Still cold outside, so worked with the Momentus Strength Trainer on backswings to the 9 o'clock position to help with turning into my right side, instead of swaying...  and then did the same with the Impact Ball.  I am feeling like it is helping me improve my pivot.

Day 3

3/1/18

continuing with chipping with 50 degree gap wedge. Spent about 20 minutes out there before Christmas the rain came down. I really need to get to course or hit to an actual green so I can adjust to game play and see the roll out distance. 

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

Day 3. Still indoors. They say the high today was 28*f.

Spent several minutes using the "pump drill" to help with holding my lag longer. All dry swings.

In between some of  the lag drills,  I continued "pergo" putting.  Mostly 4 footers. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I do this about 5 times a night, this 5 minute drill, and I keep adding refinements, then once or twice in the morning before work.  I recently added pull the arrow out of the quiver at p4 and add the Moe Norman secret move.  I'm trying to add the tiger head drop, but I keep forgetting

Edited by iacas
removed blank quote

Still cold out and 12 hour workday, so only putting practice today.

12 minutes of 3-6 feet, working on alignment of putter, stepping in to stance, slight forward press and go.

finish up by putting from 3 feet until 3 in a row stay inside the cup.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

30 minutes ago, Patch said:

Day 3. Still indoors. They say the high today was 28*f.

Spent several minutes using the "pump drill" to help with holding my lag longer. All dry swings.

In between some of  the lag drills,  I continued "pergo" putting.  Mostly 4 footers. 

make video show pump drill, and I would ask you to watch my 5 minute drill below

On 1/1/2018 at 11:32 PM, Lihu said:

January 1st (11:33pm PT)!

Worked on my back swing and downswing. Taking back the club to A2, then check the shaft and target line. Then take it up to A4 also insuring the shaft is in line or outside a little bit. Then I worked the club down from A4 to A6.

Then I'm taking a full swing and stopping at A6 to see if I'm in line at impact. The trick is to naturally get the swing to that position then see where it is without altering the impact position if I just did a full swing.

20 hours ago, Lihu said:

Using the club simulator to work on in line A6 position.

Slow takeaway to a slow transition, then only acccelerating below A2 during my practice swings to ingrain a slower transition.

Using the 3 way mirrors (darkened windows). I'm taking a full swing and stopping at A6 to see if I'm in line at impact. The trick is to naturally get the swing to that position then see where it is without altering the impact position if I just did a full swing. Also, taking a practice swing prior with a slow takeaway and transition while accelerating after A2.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Worked on alignment/setup for driver using tile grout lines. A video has revealed ball position was way farther back than I thought. In conjunction with this, worked on grip pressure at setup, and reducing tension in arms.

Purposes:

Setup and alignment-improved launch for more distance

Grip pressure and tension-more speed for more distance

Worked on 3 foot putts. My putting cup has a standard size "hole", with a 3 inch entrance. My performance metric for this drill is 3 balls remaining inside the hole in a row. Made 9 in a row. Since it is on mostly flat carpet, the skills are bead and speed. Both have to be nearly perfect to keep 3 in the pocket.

Purpose: Reduce 3 putts, lower score, Standard is 95% of all 3 foot putts. My goal is to be as near 100% as possible from 3-4 feet.

Total practice time 15 minutes

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Day 4  January 4.  Another cold day--so indoors again.  Continue to work with the Momentus Swing Trainer to build strength so I have a straighter left arm on my backswing.  Then lots of reps with the Impact Ball and short club I have that I can use indoors.  Working on my pivot and positions in my backswing.

Day 4. Still way below my comfort zone, temperature wise. 21* does not cut it. 

A little chipping/ putting practice today, but more importantly, practicing not looking up too soon during ball impact. 

I have a problem sometimes of looking up too soon. Usually before impacting the ball. When I look up too soon, I creat problems with my impact position. Different body parts move just a little off normal. 

So what I do for a drill is put a coin down, and place the ball on top of the coin. Then using a putter, or a chipping club, I hit the ball off the coin. I continue looking at the coin after impact, and the ball is gone. 

This drill works better with a putter, but it can also be done with a chipping club when indoor. When chipping it works better if the coin is placed really close in front of the ball. Almost touching the ball. 

In My Bag:

Day 4 - Range session and putting work.

Range

Spent time doing some skill and feel work, working out what I need to do to add or remove spin. It was windy again so hit quite a few knockdown shots and I hadn't gauged how much smoother I need to swing rather than just shortening the swing. Some really interesting stuff with my wedges particularly based on whether I feel like I hit down with no wrist hinge or sweep them with wrist hinge. Turns out the spin difference is massive...

spin.png

Red was when I started hitting down with a 'no wrist hinge' feel. 

Finally, I wanted to get yardages for 3 wood and hybrid and just feel comfortable hitting them from the deck - with the 3 wood, I need to feel like I'm standing a bit taller and raise the handle and with the hybrid I need to feel like I'm hitting a 7 iron. Both now working much better, which will definitely save strokes. 

Putting work in front of the TV (about 30 mins) is just working on start point and stroke from 10 feet without the Visio putting aid. All I can say is that it's working - I'm starting way more online, rolling it better and definitely not having as much of a follow-through.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Day 4

4/1/18

was going to chip some more, but I think I have a pretty good feel and will do more tomorrow on an actual golf course. Today I putted indoors on carpet. Did well because I have a line in my carpet to guide me. Putted from 5, 10, 15, 20 feet for about 40 minutes, 10 minutes each. Tomorrow is comp play, we will see want I have to hone in on for 2018 golf season. 

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

1/4/18:

278 Days In A Row.

Another cold day in Upstate New York. 

Continued work with my path drill indoors using my soda bottle apparatus. It works very well to get you coming down from the inside, because if you come outside/in you'll hit the bottle(s). So it's great for feedback.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 5 - only managed 10 minutes of putting this morning, alternating between using the visio template and not on the mat. Start line is definitely getting better and at worst, I'm now burning the edge on a straight 10ft putt. Progress from where we were, but still needs daily work if I'm going to be confident with the stroke on the course.

Day 5

Busy morning so only about 15 minutes of putting practice on 3-6 foot putts, working on the routine previously described.

Purposes:

Reduce 3 putts by achieving 95% performance on 3 putts

Building consistent routine

My goal with long putting and chipping once I can get outside and work on that will be to get all approach putts and chips within 3 feet, so that GIRs and nGIRs are pars not bogeys or worse.

Of course my long game goals will be to develop/increase skills that produce more GIR and nGIR.

Don

In the bag:

On 1/4/2018 at 5:23 AM, Lihu said:

Using the 3 way mirrors (darkened windows). I'm taking a full swing and stopping at A6 to see if I'm in line at impact. The trick is to naturally get the swing to that position then see where it is without altering the impact position if I just did a full swing. Also, taking a practice swing prior with a slow takeaway and transition while accelerating after A2.

Doing more drill swings with the swing simulator. I’ve made three versions of the swing simulator. Two seem pretty reasonable, and help me with my sequencing. Trying to make it more “automatic”. Also, doing the hands 2 feet apart on a club while doing a “real swing” drill.

Taking a practice swing before my “real swing” with a really slow takeaway and transition then accelerating only after A6

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Day 5 in the frozen Canadian tundra....:-(

Spent a few minutes out of doors today doing some pitching practice. I am still working on not looking up too soon when contacting the ball. I even incorporated my version of the pump drill in the few minutes I was out. 

Thanks for making this a 5 minute practice. In these 20* temps that's long enough.

I placed a quarter just in front of the ball, almost touching it. I would continue looking at the quarter after impacting the ball. After the ball was gone, I would look to see where it landed. All the balls landed very near each other. 

The pump drill is my way of holding my wrist cock (lag) longer on the down swing. Casting is ok when fishing but does not collide well with the golf swing. What I do is swing to the top, and start down. About 1/2 way down I stop my swing, while keeping my wrist cock. From there I swing back up to the top, and then complete my down swing, and follow through. Sometimes I do this with a ball, sometimes not.  

In My Bag: