IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

• Administrator

Day 459 - May 7, 2019 - Ten minutes working on my backswing move, which isn't my main move, but occasionally I get into the habit of swaying back (more than the little kick-start to the backswing), particularly with the driver. Went well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 300!!!

Started out with exercises to keep the feet a part of the shifting weight during the swing. Added the Orange Whip® to those exercises to create full motion through the swing.

My speeds were well within the 75--95 usual speeds, a few slower and a few higher.

Next was to make sure clubs were properly addressing the ball in every aspect.  Making sure that the club was at proper angle, square at address, and focus was put on point of contact.  I also did extra focus on my distance to the ball and alignment towards the target.

I was happy with the work on 7i, 9i, 3h, 4h and 5h.  Less happy with 6i and 7i/w.  The latter two did not do so well in terms of consistent loft or distance.  Both had a few fat shots.  With those I often hit the big ball before the smaller one which was the true thing I needed to hit.  I was, after a number of attempts able to right the ship, so to speak.  If I get out to the range tomorrow, I may only focus on these two weapons.

The shots I took with my 50º were some of the best in weeks.  Excellent loft and I was able to hit a consistent 80-85 yards with acceptable direction, though, I hit the usual "amateur with wedges" slight to the left of target.  But close enough to the flag I was hitting at to have the shots stay on the green around the flag. (One even, with luck, landed less than a foot from the flag!)

It is amazing how much better my golf was today with 1) Letting the club do most of the work, 2) Not trying to overpower the club, and 3) Taking time to think what is all involved at address.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Day 19: Full swing mirror work. Working on keeping my head from moving slightly forward in my backswing. Need to focus on this a little more from time to time. It's something I can slip on.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 6.  Didn't get to go out today, but I did spend 20 minutes hitting 40 pitches (half swings) with a gap wedge (a few with a pitching wedge) in my golf room.  Indoors, off a mat, into a net, real balls (mostly old Strata and Bridgestone e6).  A lot of the pieces I have been thinking about in my full swing (due to priority piece, not my own musings) seem to be relevant in these and maybe I'm finally making that connection. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

5/8/19:

Day Fourteen:

Weight-shift drills without a club. As I burned my left middle finger at work on Monday. So at least a couple days until I can grip a club again.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 208, May 8

Worked on my PP with the feel of hitting the ball lower from a more forward position. Did mostly 70% swing with 7 iron only. Finished with pitches and chips in the yard.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 7.  Late start at work today, so before I left the house I hit two dozen half swings and one dozen quarter swings with my gap wedge;  indoors, off a mat, into a net, real balls.

Then I stopped at a course on the way to work and used their putting green for 15 minutes, mostly on 12-15 foot putts.  Focus is getting them to/past the hole.  I made about a third of them, which not only feels good, but is about right for where I should be.  Going to move into tracking putting drills soon (something I should be doing).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

DAY 535    Long day.  Spent 45 minutes practicing before my lesson.   Still working on the same issues, staying more centered over the ball on both the backswing and downswing.  A couple of solid drills to help.... and keep working.   Then spent 45 minutes practicing my chipping using both a 7 iron and a pitching wedge.

Home for lunch and then 9 holes of golf, a small bag of balls to work on my issues and allow the course to clear out, and then 9 more holes of golf. Hit the ball pretty well, had 3 birdies, putted well, and drove the ball very well.   Progress a little at a time. :-) 

Day 20: Cleaning some stuff up at address with mirror work. Working on getting my left arm straight and hands a little further from my body. Should be a relatively easy change, I think, based on this.

-- Daniel

Day 301

Schedule allowed only for some putting on the mat.  No real solid focus either

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

5/9/19:

Day Fifteen:

More weight shift practice this time with a 7i without a ball, just making sure my balance is on point. Continuing to feel good and in balance with these new drills.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 490

Chip/putt practice this morning. Same routine as always. 18 chips & putts, from various areas off the green, to various pin locations.

Focuses were on green reads for both the chips, and putts. Club selection. Club face alignment using an intermediate target. Stance, and posture. 

On all chips & putts, I use the same posture, stance,  grip, and stroke per Paul Runyon's teachings. 

The goal was to hole out in 3 strokes or less. I was looking for a 2.25 aver per pin. I managed a 2.28

Conditions were a little damp after last night's rains. This made it a more competitive practice between myself and the practice area conditions 

Will be playing 18 holes later. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 491

i see day 490 was waiting for me this morning. Not sure why, but is no surprise. Lol

Today was just putting practice. 

Started out doing the coin thing, where I pit a dime down 12-18 inches in front of the ball. I then putt the ball ove the coin. This to make sure I am hitting straight putts. I do this on a level part of the green. 

After warming up with the dime, I putt to 18 practice pins. 6 clockwise, 6 counter clockwise, and then 6 I pick at random. All first putts are at least 8' footers. Most had some break to them. 

Focuses are on reads, and rolling the ball on my chosen line. 

Goal is beat the 36 par. Three putts are not acceptable. Took 32 putts this morning. 

Depending on what the weather does, I might play 18 later. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 209, May 9 

Mirror work at the gym. Playing my league 9 later.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 302:

45 minutes and 25 smacks with the 6i to try to get more loft off the shots.

A lot better than previous days.  Loft and range were good.  I was hitting a consistent 150-160, mild draw, and no fat ones.  Biggest aspect for me today was not rushing between shots.  Really had a good sense of focus on address and position of ball between front and back feet.  Will go through on all of the irons as well as hybrids again tomorrow in anticipation of my next round on Monday.  Saturday will be on tee shots and wedges with putting and chips on Sunday.

Edited by DrMJG

DAY 536   Rise and grind... Was at the course at 7:15 and spent awhile working on my putting (putts within 15 feet.  Then teed off in a scramble.  I was fairly pleased with how I contributed, we used a lot of my drives, and second shots into the green....and I made one putt of 35 feet.  Feeling good about my progress.   Unfortunately our team finished 4th out of 20 teams!!  Tomorrow back at it!!  

• Administrator

Day 461 - May 9, 2019 - Worked on a few putting drills I'm considering using with more students.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 21: Just worked on address again. Keeping the hands further away from my body and straightening my left arm. Tomorrow and Saturday I'm playing, so I'll have more hours in. 

-- Daniel