IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 3.  Spent two hours at a nearby course's practice facility.  The first half hour was at the chipping green;  I went through four clubs with the putting stroke motion, something I needed a few times yesterday and realized I didn't really know how to hit a chip under 15-20 yards;  in fact, the shortest one I think I have figured out is a quarter sand wedge shot.  Oops.  Well, I already feel like it's a shot I know now, and I can hit a few more going forward when I do short game practice.  I also did some quarter sand wedges, which I suppose are pitch shots?  Five balls, hit, fetch and repeat. 

Then I spent about half an hour at the putting green working on 4' and 8' putts;  my focus was making sure I wasn't being too handsy.  It dawned on me after leaving the putting green that I should check to make sure my mechanics are sound;  I know I asked this many months ago, so I should go dig up that thread.

Okay, then the final hour was at the range;  I know 50% is less than I should practice, but right now inside 100 and putting are comparative weaknesses.  In any case, in my last evolvr lesson, my back leg was straightening too quickly, so I worked on that;  slow swings back to A3 without straightening my back leg, then forward about an equal amount.  I hit 10 of these with my pitching wedge.  It went further than my usual 50% swings with that club -- not sure if range, less bothered, or my contact is getting better.  TBD.  I then worked on punch shots, trying to hit the club into the ground and stop, as per a drill for a different issue in my swing (also from evolvr;  I'm not just making things up here).  This was with my 5-iron.  I finished with some full swings and a few driver shots, both full and a few partial drivers (that I'd use on a shorter hole where I could get into trouble with a full driver swing but where clubbing down doesn't make sense either). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 29: Worked on my putting setup. Trying to relax my elbows, and allow the shaft to go straight through my forearms. Also making sure my hands are further forward at address.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 32:

5+ minutes of mirror work and practice swings working on proper hip turn in backswing. Also bought a new driver today! TaylorMade M2 practically new for a good deal. 

Day 155

Worked on hitting flop shots with my AW. Open club face, some what open stance. Regular ball position , more or less. 1/2, 3/4, and full swings.

I align my club face square to my target, but still swing along my, some what, open shoulder line. Hit 56 balls. (B)

After that, just some putting practice. No real focus, just rolling the ball towards a pin. All first putts we're in the 10-15 foot range. Had a few one putts, and zero three putts. Some of the first putts could have stopped closer to the pin. (A)

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 65, June 4 - Putting work for about 20 minutes. Focused on set up and grip, then start line on my basement mat. Hope the rain stops and I can hit balls later.

Update: Rain stopped. Got about 45 minutes of full swing work hitting into my net.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

DAY 195   I was out on the range for almost three hours!!   It was hot, how hot?  The feels like was 100 and the humidity in the 70s.  I went through 7 golf gloves!!  However, it was a good session.  Worked through the six drills I was assigned to help me improve keeping the club in front of me and keeping my head quieter...  Also, worked on a drill where I take the driver to the top of the backswing, count to 3 and then hit the ball -- designed to help with sequencing -- hit a lot of good shots.  During the last part of the session, I hit 15 shots to a small range target green 115 yards away to see how I was progressing...  still some work needed on alignment :-) 

• Administrator

Day 121 - June 4, 2018 - Had some lessons today, outside, in the wind. I hit some shots before my first lesson showed up, and a few during the lessons demonstrating some things… but what they didn't know was that I was working on my piece a little bit, too. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 30: Worked on putting again. Still working on set up mostly. Did a little bit trying to feel the pendulum in the stroke.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 4.  Today was indoors and I only had about 15 minutes of free time to practice.

Putting:  25 balls with the ruler drill.  Missed 2 right, 1 left, and had about a half dozen that didn't stay perfectly on the ruler but didn't fall off either.  Not sure how to score those.  Either way, more than 60% dead straight.  So why did I miss so many 4' putts in practice the other day?

Chipping: on my mat, with a foam ball, doing the putting motion.  Did with an old 52 and an old 7-iron.

Full Swing did a dozen slow swings focusing on right knee maintaining flex through A3 (as an exaggeration) and hand position in downswing. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 66, June 5 - Mirror work at the gym focusing on the backswing and transition. If it doesn't rain, I will get to the range later to look at ball flight.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 156

Took my dogs for a long walk this morning at the dry lake. 

While there, I hit balls off the thin lie the dry lake bed offers up. Used my Hogan 6 iron blade, hitting 4 balls, while walking a couple of miles. 

Focus was hitting the ball clean off the firm dirt, while aiming at targets (bushes) in front of me. I was taking minimal divots, just leaving a scratch on the dirt surface. (A-)

Did this during cooler morning hours of 74*F. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator

Day 122 - June 5, 2018 - Hit some shots at CHQ after a few lessons. Suffice to say it's a bit more than the "arms only" thing I felt the other day, though it's close to that. I just can't shift the URC forward when doing it. :-) Ball forward position helps.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

DAY 196    Spent about 90 minutes on the range working through my assigned 6 drills that focus on helping me keep my arms more in front on the backswing and keeping my head quieter.  Then played Twisted Oaks from the Blue Tees (Rating 70.9/Slope 123).  As mentioned in an earlier post I usually play from the White tees which are almost 550 yards shorter.  Only played the front nine since it was hot!  Shot 2 over par with one lost ball!!!  The goal is to shoot even par or better from these tees before the Summer is over.  So I will be staying highly motivated to improve!!

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/JuanTheGolfer/round/2202184

Day 3,

went to the range and worked on short game. Worked on proper backswing length and a good pivot for pitching. Worked on staying in the tilt better for chipping. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Day 34:

Got up early before a busy day at work to get some practice in. 15 minutes of work. Worked on hip rotation and hitting my starting lines. Elbows are starting to feel more natural on the downswing. Playing 18 tomorrow!

Edited by HJJ003

Day 5 due to minimal time, today was just the medicine ball drill from LSW.  Had a realization to do it slowly to make sure I got the motion and then do reps at speed.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 67, June 6 - shoulder turn work and golf specific exercises at the gym. Hitting the range on the way home to work on my priority piece and see ball flight.

Scott

My Swing Thread