IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 139.  Some introspection has resulted in my realizing it isn't just before a tournament that I should over-emphasize short game / putting, but rather in normal practice until they aren't glaring weaknesses.

I did the "25+ foot putts" drill from LSW:  coins on the ground 20" and 28" from where the ball is, on both sides, and practice pendulum back to one, forward to the other.  The drill also calls for one at 36", but I didn't do that one (28" arc felt weird enough as is... which might affect why I have poor distance control on very long putts).

I also reviewed grip fundamentals because I haven't since April 2020 and I am going to do the Covid-19 30 day drills over the next 30+ days (I'm not sure I can do one-a-day as was the original intent, but I am going to be doing them finally), and it was in doing those early ones last year that led to the realization my grip had problems.  So I did the day one drill. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 263: Played solo this morning walking 18. I played 11 and 12 twice after catching a twosome. Focused mainly on slowing down the backswing again. Hit a few balls at the range with this feel. Had some improvement, but still need to work more on this. Finally parred 18 from the blues.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/ScottCurry/round/3073750

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 17 (13 Jul 21) - Played 9 today.  Was able to work on course management and keep the score under control for me.  Had 3 pars and only 1 dbl bogie.  Most relaxed/confident round I have played as even when I was having to "scramble" for par, approaches/chips were on point leaving putts that were in a good makeable range.  Guess all those strokes in the backyard are paying off. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 98 (7/13/21) -  An issue for me is getting ball bound and tensing up in my swing. Doesn't matter whether its putting, chipping for full swing. Today I spend time with the putter and 58* wedge making putts or chips trying to focus my eyes just ahead of the ball to mitigate this issue. Since it seemed to help me loosen up some, I'm planning to take it to the range tomorrow with full swings.

Edited by Bob M
  • Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

• Administrator

Day 563 - July 13, 2021

Hit balls at CHQ before/after lessons. Lots of drivers, some 7I. Found a little setup change (softer left shoulder, slightly lower hands - literally like half an inch), and hit some swings that literally felt like half shots, that @david_wedzik TOLD me were "half shots," so that's good. Still may go into this next week with what feels like "3/4" shots… that hopefully are 3/4 length. FWIW my 1/2 7I were going 150. 😛

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 49, July 13, 2021:

Did an anti-reverse pivot drill for about 10 minutes, it’s the wall drill where you bend your left elbow to 90°, and turn as if you were taking your backswing. 

Later I hit some foam balls, with PW, 8i, 7i, and 5i, just kinda maybe quarter swing exaggerating my drill.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 264: Really good round in the fog this AM. My rangefinder was having trouble with the fog. Played well with driver misses on really hurting me too much. Focused on slow backswing tempo, but added the feel of my body leading the transition along with my right elbow. My driver misses were slight right of target for the most part except a hook on 18. I can manage with that on this course. 

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/ScottCurry/round/3074065

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 99 (7/14/21) - Medium bucket at the range today. Hit 8i-LW with 9 to 3 swings. Unfortunately, my SC100 didn't work (apparently the batteries ran down) so I had to use markers on the range to determine distances. Fortunately, the range is pretty well marked, so I was able to get a reasonable idea of my distance with each club for a 9 to 3 swing. Also hit some drivers and my recently acquired Mavrik Max 7-wood. 

• Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 18 (14 Jul 21) - More work on pitch shots in the 20-30 yd range in the yard.  Starting to correlate the swing to ball travel distance.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 140.  More grip review, including then doing the slow swing drills being careful about the grip.  Also did (and got video) for Quarantine drill day 2.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

Day 564 - July 14, 2021

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 21:

Did a little indoor putting stuff after cleaning and packing my clubs up for the drive home tomorrow.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 50, July 14, 2021

I continued working on my pivot. Basically 10 minutes of turning into a wall with my backswing (the elbow drill)

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Day 265: Played 18 early this morning in dense fog, er, I mean a “marine layer”. First three holes we could not see where the ball went. I found all three thankfully. The fog lifted on the back 9.

Played OK once I made adjustments with the driver. Moved the ball back to the ball of my left foot and opened up the face a bit more. Approach shots were better, but had issues in the rough on a couple holes. Putting was great again today. I finally parred the long 18th here (425) after having to pitch out to 145 yards. Hit a 7 iron to 25 feet and made the putt. I also parred the 440 yard 12th with a long 4H shot from the rough that ran all the way back to the hole. That hole is hard for a draw because the ball will pitch left off the fairway unless you hit the right edge.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/ScottCurry/round/3074427

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 100 (7/15/21) - Spent about 40 minutes on the putting green today; 3 balls to various pins of about 30-40 feet away, then did pull back on the longest one from the pin. Also practiced putts from the fringe and 4 footers around the hole. 

Day 19 (15 Jul 21)  - Played 18 today with a limited bag (D - 3h - 5i - 7i - 9i - SW - P).   Good way to think through the shots from off the tee through the middle of the cup, i.e. a round of course management.  Noticed some mechanics issue as I began to "pop" up the ball on the drives on the last few holes, about 60yds shorter pop-ups!  Know fatigue was of concern as it was sweltering hot on the course.   

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 141.  More grip review and also day-3 of the quarantine challenge.  I have video for the latter and I really should upload my videos for these.

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator

Day 565 - July 15, 2021

I'm going to crush it pretty hard tomorrow, so today was mostly about doing some work with my PVC "club" and nailing the length of the backswing and the early transition/downswing.