IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 635: Practiced my priority piece with driver and filmed it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 10: 7/25/2022

I did a bunch of putting drills while on a conference call today. I even brought the putting mirror back out to check out that everything is pretty much in line.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Day 141.  Over the course of the day, I managed to hit five dozen full swing shots, all with the 6-iron, all with the focus of the feel from the recent drill. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 12:

Missed my Sunday round and practice yesterday on a fishing trip. Got back to working on things this afternoon - did some rehearsals of driver stuff, and then hit a few almost golf balls. Also worked on backswing depth with a 7-iron, and hit a few balls at slow pace.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 1:

1. Practiced one-handed swings, 5 iron, both left and right hand, taking the club back about 1/2 way to A2, and after warming up a bit, going to A2, concentrating on hitting the ball straight. Real golf balls.

2. Two hands on the club, same length swing, same club. Vary between tryin to hit it straight, high, low, left, or right. 

3. L-to-L swings (A3 length backswing), trying to hit it straight. Real golf balls, same club.

4. Full length swings, longer club (hybrid), no ball, trying to duplicate the feel of the face/impact position.

The A3 swings are recorded on Uneekor launch monitor and I'm keeping a table of them. I'm following path, face-to-path, and finish deviation, L or R.

It was probably 20 minutes. I assume the 5 minutes is a minimum, but we can post longer sessions? 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Day 270 - Range and practice green work today. Worked on Driver, 7i and SW logging data to help determine patterns with my swing. Also did block finesse wedge practice with my SW and LW. On the practice green hit finesse LW shots to various pins from different lies and did some putting distance control practice. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 631: Worked on my priority pieces at the range with mostly driver and slow swings. Did some chipping after.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Day 267, July 26, 2022

Spent about three hours downtown. Lots of slow balls, lots of exaggeration. I'll get there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 11; 7/26/2022

Worked on Driver again today. Set up and hitting balls into the net.

Tried to get the set up write based on the notes Yoda gave me on CoachNow.

Then I worked on my priority pieces without getting crazy with my hips. 

I think I'll get to the real range tomorrow, and I have league night tomorrow as well. 

Day 42 (26 Jul 22) - Played 9 hole best ball with church men’s group.  Enjoy these rounds as it takes the pressure off and can just make the shot.  Had some good strikes and smooth putts.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 142.  I "only" had time for two dozen shots today, but I made them count.  You know the setup by now.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 13:

Worked on backswing depth for awhile with LVP camera digital mirror, searching for something I can feel like a muscle stretch at a certain point in the back swing as a trigger for depth.

Then worked on driver piece for awhile. I really think that I was getting it while hitting almost golf balls, and then my tee4life practice tee snapped in half and I couldn't find the other ones that came in my pack.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 2:

1. Practiced one arm shots, swing length about 2/3 of the way to A2, wedge, real golf balls (indoor, launch monitor). Worked on center contact, intentional/exaggerated left and right directed shots, and high/low. Right arm alone then left arm then both arms. 

2. L to L swings (A3 length) with hybrid then driver, concentrating on impact position (launch monitor). Measured face, path, direction/dispersion.

Results were excellent on the hand drills and on the first 5-6 L to L swings with the hybrid. I then tried longer swings and didn't have the same success. After a little while trying this I stepped back to shorter swings and went to foam balls to focus more on the feel aspect. I didn't take enough time between shots as the session wore on. I started fine, but then tried to advance too quickly 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Day 633: Played 18 with @Bob M at North Kingstown. It felt like a 5 hour round even though it was 4. This course should be played in 3:30 at most. The guy playing with us left after 15. Beautiful day but struggled with the driver again.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 271 - See @boogielicious above....beautiful day to play but the pace of play, even though a 4 hour round, was frustrating. I had a mixed day of some good shots, good shots which ended up in bad places and poor shots resulting in a mediocre score. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 143.  I hit a dozen shots this morning at home to warm up and then went to the range (because of course I warmed up for the range).   At the range, I worked with my 6-iron, hybrids, and driver.  I also hit a few shots with my 7-iron to get some swing speed measurements (I also took some with the driver).   

I don't have a baseline for the former, but the latter average was 4 mph higher than my average a month ago.  Small sample size (6 swings each time), but my lowest measured driver swing today was 92 mph, pretty close to last month's measurement average of 93 (all six a month ago were 92-93-94).   The rest were 95-96-97-97-100 (the 100 was a particularly bad swing, as far as result went -- huge hook when I usually have relatively minor pulls and fades with this club).  My point is I am making progress I can see.

7-iron was fairly consistently at 70 or 71 mph, with an outlier each at 65 and 79 which I attribute to measurement error. 

And on the drive home, I figured out my 2022 golf goals, which I'll go post in the appropriate thread. :-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 12: 7/27/2022

Got out to the range today on lunch. I hit about 20 minutes working on my priority pieces with a 6 iron. Then about 20 minutes trying to translate those priority pieces to the driver. 

I also did the putting mirror drill, putting right after a conference call today. Then I did day 15 of the Covid 30 day challenge. 

If I had to analyze my own practice, I would say I don't spend enough time working on wedges and probably not enough time working on hitting driver either. 
I've only just recently put any specific work into driver at all. My driver has traditionally been pretty streaky. 

As far as wedge play goes, years ago I worked on it, and I did some chipping work over the winter. Otherwise, it's gotten zero attention as well. My wedge play has steadily declined over the years. So, it needs some attention. 

Tonight is golf league night, so I may try to get there early and do a little work with the wedges. 

Day 43 (27 Jul 22) - worked on club face position at P2 and P3 today, working getting it in proper position.  Finished up with full swings with 7i and hard foam balls.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star