IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 62 (15 Aug 22) - Worked on hitting off the mat with the Izzo flat balls and also super low rubber tee (1/8” above mat height) to simulate hitting off the deck.  Both provided instant feedback to any fat shots.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 29: 8/15/2022

I was happy to get some good work in the garage today. Using my mat and net I was able to focus on my priority pieces. First with the 6 iron. Then with the driver. I worked on my hip movement first. Doing slow motion rehearsals, followed by fast motion with no ball, and then finally hitting a ball. I did the same with the piece of my backswing, and (as always) spent the last part on hand path. It was a beautiful day today and I enjoyed the practice. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator

Day 287, August 15, 2022

Worked for about five hours (off and on) at Lake View's range. Lots of drivers. Some wedges. Some 9I and 7I. Some short game shots. A little putting.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 21: Today was two separate sessions, morning and evening. The morning session was 3-9 swings only, but getting in the delivery position, "pumping," and then going to the finish. Foam balls were used and then real balls. I was concentrating on solid contact. 

In the evening, it was more 3-9 swings, a bit longer than that actually, but a bit slower speed. I was concentrating on synchronizing body rotation and hand movement. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Day 9:

Did some driver practice; static stuff and then some almost golf balls working on dynamic stuff. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 162.  I forget if the official rules (the first post doesn't say) include golf-focused working out, but I'm counting it.  Fit for Golf, in-season, "workout #3."  Substituted barbell press for dumbbell press, as I was doing the largest dumbbells I had and easily getting to 15 reps before.  I discovered I may have been doing press wrong for quite some time after watching Mike's video, so I reset to bar (first set), bar (second set), bar + 10 lbs (third set). 

I haven't picked up a golf club today other than for stretching / dynamic warm-up purposes. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 652: Played 9 with my wife at Pinecrest.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 63 (16 Aug 22) a day of working thru the wedges.  Worked on engaging the bounce first in varied lies (the yard needs mowing).  Wrapped each club with some solid chips into the net from about 30yds.  Ended the overall session with bump and runs with the 8i.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 291 - Did 9 to 3 drill with my 5 wood and AlmostGOLF balls today in the yard. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 30: 8/16/2022

Today was more block practice. Which means heavy focus on one area of the swing at a time, trying hard to make permanent changes. I began as usual with my hip move that I'm working to perfect. Slo-mo swing with no ball, then faster swing with no ball, then full speed no ball, finally a swing with a ball. I did this 5-8 times before switching to a priority piece I'm working on in my backswing. Same procedure. Again, 5-8 balls. Then the priority piece I'm working on with my hand path. Exactly the same procedure. 

Finally, at the end I hit just a few balls trying not to think about how, but think about where. 

With any luck I'll take some video in the next couple of days and check my progress. 

• Administrator

Day 288, August 16, 2022

Played 18 holes. Then practiced for about 90 minutes. Then played nine more holes.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 163.  I hit a baker's dozen balls at my indoor practice area, with my usual rehearsal habits.   My focus was on the backswing length, as I hit a lot of shots over Fri-Sat-Sun without any particular thoughts (a dozen range balls total plus 110 or so full swings on the course).  Since my first few rehearsals went too long, it's a good thing I was thinking this!   

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 22: I played a simulated round for random practice, trying to be mindful of each shot, and using LSW shot planning techniques. I later practiced again with 3-9 o'clock swing drills, but I still cannot take it up to anything like a full swing without having a shut face. I am working on synchronizing pivot with arm/hand movement, but I still think the latter is outracing the former, because I still get unacceptable face angles even if I weaken the grip alot. Later I worked with the HackMotion to get some objective feedback on the left wrist position at impact. 

JP Bouffard

Day 31: 8/17/2022

I feel like I'm in a good practice groove right now. Today I got a lot of good work in. 

First thing in the AM I was out in the yard, hitting 25 to 40 yard pitch shots. I almost never practice pitching so this morning it seemed like a good idea. 24 balls. Hit the first to a 25 yard target, next to a 30ish yard target, the last to a 40 yard target. Only used the sand wedge. Did that twice. 

Then into the garage to work on my priority pieces. See the last 3 days. That's what I did again. 

On lunch I made it to the range. Hit a small bucket. Working on my priority pieces but by changing between 9 iron, 6 iron, 3 wood and driver. It was sort of random practice with block practice aspects to it. 

Lastly to the putting green to do "The Makable Putts Challenge". Scored 5.5 points. .., Ugh. 

Tonight's the last night of Golf League, so I'll be heading out there in a couple of hours. 

Day 292 - Short game practice today at the North Kingstown practice green. 

Putting:  Distance putting to a 2' x 2' square marked by tees in the corners from 5, 10 and 15 paces. Object to get 5 balls into the square. Then did the "Makeable Putt Challenge".

Chipping: I am using the term "chip" not in the strict sense of leading edge contact with the ground first, but a shot in which the bounce is engaged to de-risk the shot. Started with some Block practice, then played a 9-hole game of Chip and Putt (Stableford-like scoring: 4 shots = -1 pt; 3 shots = 0 pt; 2 shots = 1 pt.; and chip in = 2 points). Scored 5 points. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 23: This morning I practiced a few things. First was foam balls and 3-9 o'clock swings, trying to match pivot and arm motion, just going for solid contact and a correct start direction. After a while, I switched to real balls. Second was a session on HackMotion, working on consistency of left wrist angles at address, the top, and impact. The pattern on the wrist sensor is decent, but I am in a bad pattern of a closed face, even on 3-9 swings. My guess is that I don't have forward shaft lean at impact.

JP Bouffard

Day 653: Worked on my priority piece and went back to the long arc drill as part of it. This seemed to help the faster swings too. Playing tomorrow but I will do these drills again Friday.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Day 289, August 17, 2022

Practiced between lessons. Same short stuff.