IGNORED

John Daly and the Hall of Fame

BigBaffy
Note: This thread is 2021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

John Daly  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should John Daly be in the golf hall of fame?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Who, in your opinion, was a more prolific long-ball hitter: Daly, Couples, or Davis Love III (or someone else I'm not thinking of?)?

• Daly
    • Couples
    • Love III
    • Someone Else

2 hours ago, BigBaffy said:

I must be missing something, because, according to the rule criteria posted earlier by Eric C, all he needs is 15 wins on a pro tour, OR two major wins. Well, he has two major wins and, until the appearance of Tiger, was the biggest draw in golf by a long shot (no pun intended).

You're right! My mistake. :doh:

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 hours ago, BigBaffy said:

Well, he has two major wins and, until the appearance of Tiger, was the biggest draw in golf by a long shot (no pun intended).

"was the biggest draw" is almost entirely irrelevant. He was a "draw" not because of how well he scored, but because he was a redneck who hit the ball a long ways. The HOF should be about people who excelled in the sport, not who excelled at being a "draw" for somewhat negative reasons.

I don't think he's anywhere near close enough to join the HOF.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

"was the biggest draw" is almost entirely irrelevant. He was a "draw" not because of how well he scored, but because he was a redneck who hit the ball a long ways. The HOF should be about people who excelled in the sport, not who excelled at being a "draw" for somewhat negative reasons.

I don't think he's anywhere near close enough to join the HOF.

I respect your opinion, but Daly was WAY more than a redneck who could drive (I'm not a fan of his life choices either, but you can't say he couldn't play).

Exhibit A: Watch just a few minutes of him at the PGA in 91, and tell me he wasn't a golf god. His performance there, especially when he came from nowhere, should probably alone get him into the HoF.

In the bag: TaylorMade R5 Duel driver (44", Senior-flex), Namura 19* 3 Hybrid, Stiff, Cougar X-CAT 26* 5 hybrid, Wilson K-28 irons 6-PW, Wilson Harmonized Gap (52) and Sand (55) Wedges, Blade Runner II putter.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, BigBaffy said:

I respect your opinion, but Daly was WAY more than a redneck who could drive (I'm not a fan of his life choices either, but you can't say he couldn't play).

Exhibit A: Watch just a few minutes of him at the PGA in 91, and tell me he wasn't a golf god. His performance there, especially when he came from nowhere, should probably alone get him into the HoF

He wasn't a god. He didn't win very many PGA Tour events. Tiger, even Phil, modern day gods.

He was a good player, but he was nowhere near, IMO, "Hall of Fame" material.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If there's a Drunken Antics, Winning Majors, and Endlessly Embarrassing Yourself Hall of Fame somewhere, he's definitely a first ballot guy :beer:

I do like John Daly in a lot ways, probably to a fault in my case, but five wins and two majors is simply not enough. My personal HoF criteria is currently scaled at 20 wins, 1 major; 15 wins, 2 majors; or 10 wins, 3 majors. The latter of the three is debatable I guess. 

Constantine

1. I voted No. Yes he won two majors and is still one of the most well known players in the game but he's only won a few times and didn't even get in the hunt much on a regular basis.

No Ryder Cups and No Presidents Cups, which I think says a lot about his play over months/years.

2. I voted someone else, I guess Snead if we're going prolific since he has the most wins.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

voted no, I hope if JD is voted in he would refuse, keep his rebel image and have a laugh about it after a fifth of Kentucky.   JD in the hall would diminish the hall and JD same time. 

I voted DL3, I saw him rip a drive in the Fort Worth Colonial off of number 2, effortless, never forget it. 

Andy North is freaky.  3 Wins total on pga tour, and two of them US opens.  Weird.  I think when they grow the rough and get the greens about 13 or more, it doesn't reward the best all the time, in fact it opens the door to a freak to sneak in there and win.  

I remember Daily having the ball rolling back to him on a green in the open, and when it got to him still in motion, he hockey sticked it.  That was classic JD.  Is Happy Gilmore based on JD? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If Tom Kite, and Ben Crenshaw are in, Daly should be. There have been many years no one should have gotten in, but they want to have a televised induction ceremony every year. I know he is super popular, but I don,t even think Fred Couples, with only one major should be in either.  The guys mentioned in this thread with 2 majors and aren’t in, have as much right to be as Kite, Ben, and Fred.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

I like John Daly, but he's not HoF worthy at all.  

There is a lot of squaking in the golf world suggesting that Fred Couples should not be in the Hall of Fame, and outside of only having 1 major, Couples' resume is much much stronger than Daly's.  

21 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

If Tom Kite, and Ben Crenshaw are in, Daly should be. There have been many years no one should have gotten in, but they want to have a televised induction ceremony every year. I know he is super popular, but I don,t even think Fred Couples, with only one major should be in either.  The guys mentioned in this thread with 2 majors and aren’t in, have as much right to be as Kite, Ben, and Fred.

Tom Kite has 21 regular age wins and 10 old people wins.   

Crenshaw has 20 wins and 2 of which were majors.  

Daly has 8 regular wins and 1 old person win.  The numbers just don't add up. 
The only thing Daly has going for him is the 2 majors. 

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

To me, all those guys were in the "after Jack, before Tiger" generation". Everyone in golf was looking for the next "Jack". Some of these guys were better then the others, but none were GREATS. This was proven when Tiger came along. He made them all look very average at best. I'm being kind when I say that, because when they were paired with him, they actually looked scared a lot of the time. It's one thing if Tiger were to shoot 66 to beat them, but these guys continually rolled over with 73-77. They were beat before they got to the first tee. Sorry, they were good but not HOF'ers. Not one of them ever showed any form of dominance of their peers at any time in their careers.

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

6 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

To me, all those guys were in the "after Jack, before Tiger" generation". Everyone in golf was looking for the next "Jack". Some of these guys were better then the others, but none were GREATS. This was proven when Tiger came along. He made them all look very average at best. I'm being kind when I say that, because when they were paired with him, they actually looked scared a lot of the time. It's one thing if Tiger were to shoot 66 to beat them, but these guys continually rolled over with 73-77. They were beat before they got to the first tee. Sorry, they were good but not HOF'ers. Not one of them ever showed any form of dominance of their peers at any time in their careers.

Ernie Els was in that era.  He is undoubtedly an easy Hall of Famer. 39 wins and 4 majors is an extraordinary resume. 

Greg Norman had 34 wins and 2 majors.  not to mention his 35 Australian tour wins. 

Edited by lastings

check out my swing here

100% agree on those two. Excellent calls.

Come to think of it, Faldo was even better then those two maybe?

and Ernie came along in the late 80's early 90's didn't he? Not sure, just asking. Always felt a little bad for him. He was one of the few who wouldn't back down to Tiger. Their Presidents Cup match was unreal. Wonder what he would have done if there was no Tiger. Pretty big if, huh? LOL.

5 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Come to think of it, Faldo was even better then those two maybe?

Faldo's 3 master and 3 opens are pretty darn impressive.  

check out my swing here

No to Daly.  He simply doesn't qualify unless you focus more on the "fame" part of the Hall and discount any actual accomplishments.  I was a fan earlier in his career, but he let he fans dictate how he conducted himself.  Walking off the course in the middle of a round just because of a couple of bad shots (which he did more than once) is to me as much of a Hall of Fame disqualifier as his relative dearth of wins.  He simply did not conduct himself on the course in a manner consistent with the ideals of the game.

Couples, Love III, and Kite all have a much greater total body of work in the game than Daly when you look beyond just PGA Tour wins.  Qualifying for multiple Ryder Cup and President's Cup teams, Player of the Year and Vardon Trophy awards, wins in non-Tour events.  Their resumés are 2-3 times as long as Daly's.  The only advantage Daly had over them is that he could out-drive and out-drink them.

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I think you're spot on in regard to Daly's behavior on the golf course. Can't argue with anything you wrote. I'm curious though. Do you think Kite and/or Couples deserve to be in? Just asking...

2 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

I think you're spot on in regard to Daly's behavior on the golf course. Can't argue with anything you wrote. I'm curious though. Do you think Kite and/or Couples deserve to be in? Just asking...

I do.  Maybe because they were part of my era - at their peaks in the 80's, just when I was really getting into golf - but I think that their resumés are strong enough to qualify for the Hall. 

When you talk about length, did you know that when he first came on Tour, Davis Love didn't even use a driver?  He struggled with that club in his earlier years, and he was so long that he could actually go with a bag full of irons and still compete,

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Not worthy of the HOF but for a time on tour people paid just to see Daly hit a driver. For about 10 years there was just no one on tour longer. Watching Tiger play with him back around the early 2000s, Daly was constantly 20 yards past him. Tiger was just beating his brains out.

Greg Norman and Freddie could keep up with Davis Love off of the tee. Maybe an edge to Love but not to the degree Daly could hit it past them.

George Bayer at 6'5" and 230 lbs.was as long as Jack, he just never won much of anything.

Jimmy Thompson was as long as Snead.but again never won much of anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Live from the doghouse.

Note: This thread is 2021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!