IGNORED

This is weird - My and My Golf visits ggswingtips

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
2 hours ago, colin007 said:

Or that I wouldn't like his attitude?

That.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My buddies in the industry out west know-The Gankas guy is a world class dillhole.

• Like 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

On 1/16/2018 at 1:45 PM, mchepp said:

I find many of GG's videos interesting. His style for me isn't the best. He is all over the place, but @mvmac has said his stuff comes from Como, so at a base level it is pretty good.

To clarify, some of it is from Como, he's buddies with him. Other influences from what I can gather are Kelvin, Mac and his own experience.

On 1/17/2018 at 11:47 AM, klineka said:

What do you mean by unecessary movement? Are you talking about too much movement with the legs? 

The dual external rotation move (exaggerated Snead squat) with the weight staying back.

This was posted by another instructor, here's the top 9 golfers in the world. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 10.09.52 PM.png

I think what Gankas is mostly describing is a feel and it can work for some players, especially young flexible golfers. It doesn't make sense to "max out" rotation before impact, stay back and then move forward as you thrust. If anything you kind of want to do the opposite, shift forward in transition and rotate through the strike. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

5 hours ago, mvmac said:

To clarify, some of it is from Como, he's buddies with him. Other influences from what I can gather are Kelvin, Mac and his own experience.

The dual external rotation move (exaggerated Snead squat) with the weight staying back.

This was posted by another instructor, here's the top 9 golfers in the world. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 10.09.52 PM.png

I think what Gankas is mostly describing is a feel and it can work for some players, especially young flexible golfers. It doesn't make sense to "max out" rotation before impact, stay back and then move forward as you thrust. If anything you kind of want to do the opposite, shift forward in transition and rotate through the strike. 

That's where Gankas lost me - all of the rotation and then the push off to the front side when the club is parallel on the downswing. It seems very "swing in the barrel with level hips"  up to a point. I do like his "no pull down" of the arms and pressure on the lead arm, taller at address leading to better posture through the ball, and how a flying elbow can lead to a natural shallowing. Good patterns for some people.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

thanks for the clarification and pictures! When I look at my own swing on video, its pretty clear that at that same position, or even at impact, my hips are still pointing right at the target and arent open at all. I will work on this at the range tomorrow, opening the hips earlier, but still making sure I shift forward and dont stay back over my right foot.

I think for me, watching a bunch of GG videos has opened up my thoughts about the swing and what is important. For the past few months I was trying to get to a "perfect" and more shallow position at the top of my backswing, but it really wasnt helping my strike because I still pulled down with my hands and cut across the ball out to in. Basically relying on all arms and wrist angles to manipulate the shaft. I never realized that proper torso/legs can accomplish the same thing while providing more consistency.

Watching his videos has made me realize its ok to have the left arm slightly steeper than the shoulder plane, if you have good body rotation and the club drops on plane/shallows out on the way down. I've been doing dry swings every day this week working on the lower body and getting the hips/legs firing first, excited to see the changes on video tomorrow at the range!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

22 minutes ago, klineka said:

thanks for the clarification and pictures! When I look at my own swing on video, its pretty clear that at that same position, or even at impact, my hips are still pointing right at the target and arent open at all. I will work on this at the range tomorrow, opening the hips earlier, but still making sure I shift forward and dont stay back over my right foot.

You can do some drills - starting at impact position - open hips, shoulders slightly open, weight on front foot. Then take the club back a little, and swing - ball need not go far to get the idea. I think GG has this drill. It helps you visualize your impact position - the drill works, and then it works on full swing - visualization is powerful.

Work on flexibility if needed.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator

Kevin, a ton of people could be more open at impact. That's not really what that GG drill is all about. It's more about the shaft and correcting people who "over-slide." It's not entirely or even mostly about "getting open" at impact.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

You probably aren't getting open enough because of other things. Be careful to just try to apply a drill seen somewhere; it may or may not suit you, and the odds are it won't.

You should stick with what you're working on with evolvr (or sign back up). And post in your Member Swing topic, the last post of which is about how good evolvr was for you… :-)

I think for me, watching a bunch of GG videos has opened up my thoughts about the swing and what is important. For the past few months I was trying to get to a "perfect" and more shallow position at the top of my backswing, but it really wasnt helping my strike because I still pulled down with my hands and cut across the ball out to in. Basically relying on all arms and wrist angles to manipulate the shaft. I never realized that proper torso/legs can accomplish the same thing while providing more consistency.

It can. It may not be what you need, though. See the below.

BTW, one of the biggest issues with the GG thing is that it can push a lot of people into internal rotation early. They can turn their torso and leave their arms "up" and get their right elbow super stuck. Yes, in slower motion it might work, but at speed it can cause the same old crap - right shoulder blade retracts, elbow goes around the shirt seam more as it kind of stays "in place"but the shirt seam moves forward, etc.

Watching his videos has made me realize its ok to have the left arm slightly steeper than the shoulder plane, if you have good body rotation and the club drops on plane/shallows out on the way down. I've been doing dry swings every day this week working on the lower body and getting the hips/legs firing first, excited to see the changes on video tomorrow at the range!

I'm going to guess you'll be disappointed. I could be wrong, just saying if forced to make a bet…

But hey, be honest with yourself (screw what anyone else here thinks, really) and post the video in your Member Swing topic. Let's see what you're up to.

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't want to overstate my use of this GG pattern. I can't do what he wants in the squat, or let's say I tried it and said, "uh, uh, no" and laughed. My instructor does not use it and I pay him. I've seen some similarities as in "don't pull your arms down" and simulating the open impact position with drills. But that's about it other than I have a flying elbow and stand taller at address now with rounded shoulders - and it's okay.

57 minutes ago, iacas said:

Kevin, a ton of people could be more open at impact. That's not really what that GG drill is all about. It's more about the shaft and correcting people who "over-slide." It's not entirely or even mostly about "getting open" at impact.

You probably aren't getting open enough because of other things. Be careful to just try to apply a drill seen somewhere; it may or may not suit you, and the odds are it won't.

You should stick with what you're working on with evolvr (or sign back up). And post in your Member Swing topic, the last post of which is about how good evolvr was for you… :-)

It can. It may not be what you need, though. See the below.

BTW, one of the biggest issues with the GG thing is that it can push a lot of people into internal rotation early. They can turn their torso and leave their arms "up" and get their right elbow super stuck. Yes, in slower motion it might work, but at speed it can cause the same old crap - right shoulder blade retracts, elbow goes around the shirt seam more as it kind of stays "in place"but the shirt seam moves forward, etc.

I'm going to guess you'll be disappointed. I could be wrong, just saying if forced to make a bet…

But hey, be honest with yourself (screw what anyone else here thinks, really) and post the video in your Member Swing topic. Let's see what you're up to.

I definitely will begin posting in my swing thread again. Evolvr was great for me, I improved more in the 3 ish months I was with Evolvr than I had the previous 2-3 years combined. I had some other debts I needed to get paid off and didnt quite have the budget for evolvr over the winter/holidays. Got the debts paid off and a promotion at work has freed up a little more income and I'll definitely be signing up for evolvr again soon.

Back on topic now.. it sounds like I was misinterpreting the ideas that GG was sharing in the videos. I'll just go back and watch the most recent evolvr lesson I have saved and continue from there. Makes more sense to start from there instead of trying a new drill that may or may not help me. Definitely have had better success when listening to a coach instead of just watching countless YouTube videos and trying to fix my swing myself :whistle: 

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator

GG’s one move is really good for the fewer high level players that need it. The higher your handicap the lower the odds that’s you.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 2286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!