IGNORED

Fitting Dilemma

GetItIn
Note: This thread is 2259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Noobe to the forum. Hoping I can get some advice. Went to a premium fitter and they recommended aftermarket shafts, puring, and grips that jumped the price of irons up $1500. Went to another fitter for a second opinion and found out stock shafts on the same irons at $840 were giving me similar or better trackman stats. I'm torn on whether to get the premium shafts or regular to save money. I'm a 14 handicap. Short game is saving me. Ball striking is a bit inconsistent. Will getting the upgraded aftermarket shafts make any significant positive change in my current skill level? Or will stock shafts be sufficient?

Welcome to TST.     

I'm not an expert but your situation came up when I was fitted for my driver.   I decided to go the cheaper route because the initial driver cost was around $400 and for me that was expensive enough.   I'll never know if the more expensive shafts would have made a difference.    Grips are a personal choice.

If the second fitter found that you were getting similar or better trackman stats, it would be a no-brainer.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like nonsense to me.  Shafts have weight and a flex profile...that's it.  Is it worth spending an extra $660?  (Blank) No.  My entire set, including the bag, didn't cost that much.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

8 hours ago, GetItIn said:

Will getting the upgraded aftermarket shafts make any significant positive change in my current skill level? Or will stock shafts be sufficient?

Hi! I started a topic, What if We Don't Have Fitting or something like that....Some good comments there as well as other topics under "Fitting". I once was a 14 but no longer. FYI...When I started back to golf, I RESEARCHED shafts and their characteristics and consulted a pro. I had one set fitted with Nippon shafts; I think they did make a difference and are keepers. BUT my current set, the one I play, I purchased as is stock. All I've done is to have loft and lie checked. TST experts will reply; Meantime, please research the shafts you are considering. Best wishes, -Marv

1 minute ago, dennyjones said:

If the second fitter found that you were getting similar or better trackman stats, it would be a no-brainer.   

Right...Very practical. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Thanks for the replies so far. Yeah, it does sound like a no brainer. I've read a lot of comments and articles on the downside of stock shafts which is making me a little weary of going with the stock shafts instead of after market shafts. But, numbers don't lie.

I have through several fittings through the years. Sometimes the stock shafts give me excellent numbers, and other times the stock just doesn't work at all.

Other times the shaft that gave me better numbers was a no-upcharge or small up-charge option.

I have 97-gram shafts in my irons. The stock shaft for my Callaway MD3 PW and SW was the KBS Tour-V which weighs 125 grams and is S+ flex. I paid $10 a club to have factory put in lighter and friendlier KBS Tour R-flex (110 grams).

I'm a believer that each golfer should find his or her shaft zone. Shafts in your zone are the ones that often get recommended at different fittings. I often have the KBS Tour 90, the lighter NS Pros or AT 2.0 (Ping) giving me the best numbers.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

@GetItIn Can you tell us the clubs and shafts you are looking at?

As others have said, some stock shafts work just as good or better than upgraded($$$) ones.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

20 hours ago, GetItIn said:

Yeah, it does sound like a no brainer. I've read a lot of comments and articles on the downside of stock shafts which is making me a little weary of going with the stock shafts instead of after market shafts. But, numbers don't lie.

If you went to a 2nd fitter, then their machines are probably not the same. They might be the same type of machine, but calibrated differently.

I would always hit the stock option, and the upgraded option on the same machine at the same time.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

20 hours ago, GetItIn said:

Thanks for the replies so far. Yeah, it does sound like a no brainer. I've read a lot of comments and articles on the downside of stock shafts which is making me a little weary of going with the stock shafts instead of after market shafts. But, numbers don't lie.

The numbers at the time don’t lie, but it’s possible the fitter watched your Swing and “extrapolated” what would happen as you get tired or whatever.

As an example, when I get tired I actually start swinging faster because I overturn and snap back faster than usual resulting in the shafts over flexing.

If the fitter is really good, it might be worth the extra $700?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, GetItIn said:

Standard Rogue Iron Heads. PXI 6.0 vs. XP 95 S300(stock)?

Thanks for the info.

I was just looking around and doing a lil comparison and they are very similar shafts from the info I could find.  Funny how you might be hitting the stock as well or better.  Only way to be sure is have the first fitter do some stats with stock then the upgrade.

Good luck to you.  Show us the new toys when you get them.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

17 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

Thanks for the info.

I was just looking around and doing a lil comparison and they are very similar shafts from the info I could find.  Funny how you might be hitting the stock as well or better.  Only way to be sure is have the first fitter do some stats with stock then the upgrade.

Good luck to you.  Show us the new toys when you get them.

Thanks for doing the additional research. Much appreciated.

• iacas changed the title to Fitting Dilemma
Note: This thread is 2259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!