IGNORED

Golf Channel vs Golfweek Am tour

ElWagonne
Note: This thread is 1388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Now that I've tested out both the Golf Channel and Golfweek tours, I feel like that I'll be sticking with the Golfweek tour.  My real question would be what's the difference in between the two, considering that Golfweek offers live scoring, some of the same tracks (at cheaper rates), same money games.  I guess you must be paying the extra money for all the commercials the Golf Channel inundates you with lol.

I have never played on either tour, so I will be no help to your quetion. However, I will be following closely to see what others say. Here in Houston I have heard from multiple people that the GCAM tour is much better than the GolfWeek tour. I think it comes down to the person/persons running the regional tour locations and how much they put into making it a great “bang for your buck”. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I looked into the Golfweek Am tour for my area, but I couldn't justify the $100+ entry fee for every single tournament.

I think I would have more fun taking that same $100 and spreading it out over 3-4 rounds even if they are just casual rounds with my buddies. 

I understand there are operating costs and prizes and such so I'm not bashing the price, just saying its not worth it for me at this point in my life. Maybe in a few years once student loans are paid off and hopefully a few more promotions at work can allow me to increase my golf budget then I'll reconsider.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

We don't have a Golfweek Am Tour in NM, but the GD Am Tour is just too expensive. I belong to a few different associations and can almost play in a tournament every weekend and it is cheaper than playing in one monthly GCAM event. Not enough bang for the buck IMHO, you can't even get your entry fee back if you win.

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

49 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

We don't have a Golfweek Am Tour in NM, but the GD Am Tour is just too expensive. I belong to a few different associations and can almost play in a tournament every weekend and it is cheaper than playing in one monthly GCAM event. Not enough bang for the buck IMHO, you can't even get your entry fee back if you win.

This is why I've avoided most of these, the VSGA has tournaments every week, most of the same courses for far less money.  Most are less than their normal rates and then if you win, it's a bonus.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

2 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

This is why I've avoided most of these, the VSGA has tournaments every week, most of the same courses for far less money.  Most are less than their normal rates and then if you win, it's a bonus.

I have a buddy who is really into it, he travels out of town to the "majors" and has qualified for the National Championship the last couple of years. He spends thousands and when he wins he gets a trophy and a small gift certificate. It's $200 to join and all the tournaments around here are $125-$150. In comparison, my association charges $30, tournaments are $50 and if you win you can pocket $100-150 in gift certificates. Not to mention the skins games.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

Golf Week Tour has a chapter right here in my area, so I don't have to travel like I would with the GC AM. I won my flight and a skin two weeks ago. Cleared over $700, most of it from the skin. They also have a separate "skins" event where for under a hundred you can win a lot of money. A lot.

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

4 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I have a buddy who is really into it, he travels out of town to the "majors" and has qualified for the National Championship the last couple of years. He spends thousands and when he wins he gets a trophy and a small gift certificate. It's $200 to join and all the tournaments around here are $125-$150. In comparison, my association charges $30, tournaments are $50 and if you win you can pocket $100-150 in gift certificates. Not to mention the skins games.

Our state association has no fee to join and tournaments run $48-$56/event.  Pretty good deal other than they are typically only on weekdays.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Similar price here, and Friday seems to the day. It works out, because this is "the land of the three day weekend". Good luck trying to reach any "professional type" from Thursday afternoon thru Monday morning.

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

As someone who has tried to follow these two, I find I must pull out the "screenshots" of each's web site to remember which is which.

With the thousands of words in the English language, it seems like these two orgs might have coffee together and find a way to come up with more distinctive names.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Definitly  pricier for sure. I think in areas where both are an option, Golf Week is a no brainer. When you add in the travel costs to play the GC, and what you get, I just don't see its appeal. Yet you hear a lot of GC guys talk about how much they enjoy it. As another post said, why not just play in locally sponsored tournaments instead of what they are charging?.

I would love to get a breakdown of the tournament entry fees on the GCAM. They charge $130 for a tournament at the course where I work. The greens fee is $35, range balls are $4. where does the other $91 go? It isn't going to gift certificates because I saw their payouts. How much does the tour coordinator get? How much does the Golf Channel get?

See thats the issue for me, my association pays out 100% of the entry fees in Gift Certificates. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, NM Golf said:

See thats the issue for me, my association pays out 100% of the entry fees in Gift Certificates. 

Your association isn't looking to make a profit, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 3/8/2018 at 11:39 AM, iacas said:

Your association isn't looking to make a profit, though.

Very true, which in turn probably means I am getting more bang for my buck. It doesn't really matter, if someone likes the GCAM and feels they are getting their money's worth then they are.

I actually play in both, picking and choosing tournaments based on proximity to my house and dates.  Unfortunately for me, tournaments held by Florida State Golf Association and Pinellas County Golf Association are mostly played during the week.  It's very rare to have a weekend tournament.

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Very true, which in turn probably means I am getting more bang for my buck. It doesn't really matter, if someone likes the GCAM and feels they are getting their money's worth then they are.

In running tournaments for a profit, though, they may put on a better tournament, because if people stop attending, their profits become $0. So they have more motivation beyond the motivation of a regular local golf association.

US Kids Golf tournaments are profitable for USKG and the tournament operator. @NatalieB didn't play in them because she was looking to "get out" what she "paid in." There was value beyond that in how they were run, the level of competition, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

In running tournaments for a profit, though, they may put on a better tournament, because if people stop attending, their profits become $0. So they have more motivation beyond the motivation of a regular local golf association.

US Kids Golf tournaments are profitable for USKG and the tournament operator. @NatalieB didn't play in them because she was looking to "get out" what she "paid in." There was value beyond that in how they were run, the level of competition, etc.

Certainly, and the GCAM Tour does do that, it is a little fancier than most of the association tournaments. They have a starters tent on the #1 tee, they give trophies, etc. I personally am just not into that, I'd rather play for more money. But like I said not everyone is like me, some people like the feel of the Am Tour. And if you have no issue coughing up 4 times the greens fee to play in a tournament, you may not need the money.

Note: This thread is 1388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!