IGNORED

Golf Channel vs Golfweek Am tour

ElWagonne
Note: This thread is 1388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Golfweek AmTour near me is 80$ to enter and the most expensive tournament is $125. I’m thinking about giving it a go just to satisfy the competitive side of myself. I wish there were more people on this website with experience in either Am Tours.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

The Golfweek AmTour near me is 80$ to enter and the most expensive tournament is $125. I’m thinking about giving it a go just to satisfy the competitive side of myself. I wish there were more people on this website with experience in either Am Tours.

I'm on the Golfweek tour now and did the Golf Channel last year.  I will say that the Golf Channel does have events at some tour caliber courses, for example Golf Club of Houston, TPC Craig Ranch around here.  Due to my schedule, Golfweek is better due to Sunday events, which are better for my schedule.  Golfweek even has this live scoring feature where you can follow along just like the pros.  

• Like 1

I've played with the GWAT now for going on 4 years.  I play on one of the more involved 'chapters', playing out of Charlotte.  The $100 annual membership is not overly expensive... and events range from $85 to $110 per week... with several two-day events running about $195 or so.  There are also some high end events, such as the Southern Regional at Kiawah where you play 2 courses, including the Ocean Course.  

It's run very well.  Live scoring is a blast.  Optional cash games keep things interesting.  The best part is that the people who play in these events are all just like me.  They're there to have fun but also be competitive.  In 3+ years, I've run into maybe 3 people who I didn't enjoy playing with (club throwers, primarily).  

My primary group of golf friends have all come from this tour.  We run our own money games each week within the tournaments and keep it fun for all.  

I also belong to a country club, so I'm not longing for golf... but being able to play tournaments at some nicer, private courses I otherwise wouldn't get on to is ore fun to me than playing in my club tournaments.

Our tour, the prizes are crystal trophies and Visa Gift Cards ($200 for 1st place and then down the line for other places).  They pay top 3 to 6 places depending on the number of flight entries.  

I'd say if you're on the fence... reach out to the local tour director (emails are on the site) and see if maybe you can try one out before joining.  I guarantee you'll find it's run well and you'll have fun.  

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

• 1 month later...

I have played Golf Channel AM Tour since the beginning & before, when it was called another name. $195 to join but you can call them & play once to see if you like it. The $195 gets you some swag ... shirt, hat, balls, that kind of stuff. The $195 is a wash ... break even stuff.

IMHO - it is the only way I can play higher lever competition on the Pro level courses. I am West Coast but I travel a lot as an engineer. I get contracts in other states & play GCAM Tournaments in San Jose, Phoenix, Austin & Miami. 

Tournaments cost app. $115 - $250 for a one day tournament ... depending on course. I find I get to play otherwise 'private' courses I could never get on. Sometimes the GCAT price is LOWER than rack rate at high end courses. I play those !

They also have 2 day major tournaments at PGA level courses.

I have played Innsbrook, TPC Sawgrass in Florida. PGA West Stadium in LaQuinta & Pelican Hill in California as examples.

They set up the course nicely. Flags around. Tented starting holes. Announce your name, home & sometimes events you have won. The scoring area is usually nice & someplace to chill while scores are being tallied.

Course is detailed ... cups painted white, red & yellow hazards marked. Pin sheets & scorecards are pro level. Greens rolled & fast.

Competition is by flights ... so you play against your own age & level players. Nice trophy's - sometimes crystal. Money is ok. 1st is usually more than entry fee. Depending on # of players in a flight - they pay down 3-4 places. Cash skins game. That's the real fun.

If you are a poor person ... go play a Muni. If you want to improve against serious competition at your own index level ... on the same courses the PGA, LPGA & Seniors Tour plays ... this is the tour. All my golf friends I met on this tour. I have a weekly game with the San Diego guys I met on tour.

Obviously I like this tour. I play about 7-10 Tournaments a year. I am getting older. Less than $2000 a year ... I think it is a bargain to be able to play these courses ... with REAL competition on REAL courses ... set-up hard ... with people you see multiple times. Instead of playing a Muni with strangers. I get to choose which events I play ... close to home or at a major resort.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great writeup and welcome to TST! Sounds like you have had some great experiences with it.

4 hours ago, moonlight said:

If you are a poor person ... go play a Muni.

I dont think that comment was necessary, there are people of all different ages on this site who are in varying financial situations but still enjoy golf. 

If other members of the tour share a similar attitude like that, considering people who play municipal courses to be "poor people", then I'm definitely not interested.

Edited by klineka
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

9 hours ago, klineka said:

I dont think that comment was necessary, there are people of all different ages on this site who are in varying financial situations but still enjoy golf. 

Yes, but how are we to keep the undesirables from mixing with the elite? Can you imagine the awkwardness with having to play the same course as "the help"?

• Thumbs Up 1

Jon

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/22/2018 at 1:26 AM, freshmanUTA said:

I will give my 2 cents. I played Golfweek am tour past 2 years in charlotte nc

the tournaments are run well and its essentially cash prizes (visa gift cards that you can use anywhere)

the cost is higher than a regular round for sure (they have to make a profit), but a lot of the events are on private tracks you cant get on easily otherwise 

my issue with the Golfweek is pace of play. Because they are for profit, they will put up to around 120 players on the course (its always a shotgun start and they will double tee every hole except par 3's)

im done with it. An average round is 5.5 hours. If cart path only, it will be 7 hours

I cant do it anymore. If my first 4-8 holes arent good, i've literally walked off the course multiple times now (because i was already too far back to win anything)

done wasting my time and money

Scott

Yes, ultimately almost every "Tour" is going to be slower than a nice casual round.  We either get used to it or stop playing organized competitive golf.

Brian Kuehn

14 hours ago, scottyarcy said:

I will give my 2 cents. I played Golfweek am tour past 2 years in charlotte nc

the tournaments are run well and its essentially cash prizes (visa gift cards that you can use anywhere)

the cost is higher than a regular round for sure (they have to make a profit), but a lot of the events are on private tracks you cant get on easily otherwise 

my issue with the Golfweek is pace of play. Because they are for profit, they will put up to around 120 players on the course (its always a shotgun start and they will double tee every hole except par 3's)

im done with it. An average round is 5.5 hours. If cart path only, it will be 7 hours

I cant do it anymore. If my first 4-8 holes arent good, i've literally walked off the course multiple times now (because i was already too far back to win anything)

done wasting my time and money

The Golf AmTour has adopted rigid pace of play rules. I attended a major championship at PGA West in April. 360 players on two courses over two days, not one round over 4 hours and 30 minutes. Let me say that again...NOT A SINGLE ROUND exceeded 4 hours and 30 minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

9 hours ago, NM Golf said:

The Golf AmTour has adopted rigid pace of play rules. I attended a major championship at PGA West in April. 360 players on two courses over two days, not one round over 4 hours and 30 minutes. Let me say that again...NOT A SINGLE ROUND exceeded 4 hours and 30 minutes.

that doesn't seem possible. 180 players on each course, so 10 players per hole. did they do 2, 5 somes per hole?

i feel like that would take 8 hours per round

Just now, scottyarcy said:

that doesn't seem possible. 180 players on each course, so 10 players per hole. did they do 2, 5 somes per hole?

oh, maybe you did tee times and not a shotgun start? (GWAM only does shotgun start)

if tee times, i can believe it

Scott

• Administrator
5 hours ago, scottyarcy said:

You do realize that some players can be finished playing while others have yet to tee off right? Tee times might last from 8am until 2pm or something.

I'm not saying that's what he said, just that it's possible to get 156 players or more through a course in a day without them literally all playing at the same time(s).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

You do realize that some players can be finished playing while others have yet to tee off right? Tee times might last from 8am until 2pm or something.

I'm not saying that's what he said, just that it's possible to get 156 players or more through a course in a day without them literally all playing at the same time(s).

yea so it has to be tee times, not shotgun start

if thats the case, i might look into golf channel tour

Scott

• Administrator
Just now, scottyarcy said:

yea so it has to be tee times, not shotgun start

if thats the case, i might look into golf channel tour

Probably, though I have no direct experience. Usually the most you can fit on a course is 144 - 36 x 4. Two foursomes per hole.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Probably, though I have no direct experience. Usually the most you can fit on a course is 144 - 36 x 4. Two foursomes per hole.

in a member guest tournament 2 years ago, there were 78, 2 man teams

that's 156 players, shotgun start. It took 4 hours to play 9 holes. It was unbearable

Scott

On 7/6/2019 at 6:44 AM, scottyarcy said:

oh, maybe you did tee times and not a shotgun start? (GWAM only does shotgun start)

if tee times, i can believe it

The AmTour only does tee times. Two waves, morning and afternoon, off #1 and #10. It's a thing of beauty, there is someone on #9 and #18 just checking turn times. Then there are multiple AmTour marshals on the course monitoring times as well. It's a well oiled machine.

I used to bash the AmTour a bit, then I actually got involved with it and have found it to be a great organization. I highly recommend it now, they made a believer out of me. 

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

The AmTour only does tee times. Two waves, morning and afternoon, off #1 and #10. It's a thing of beauty, there is someone on #9 and #18 just checking turn times. Then there are multiple AmTour marshals on the course monitoring times as well. It's a well oiled machine.

I used to bash the AmTour a bit, then I actually got involved with it and have found it to be a great organization. I highly recommend it now, they made a believer out of me. 

you  mean golf channel tour right?

the golf week ONLY does shotgun starts, so with 120 players it takes forever

Scott

On 7/7/2019 at 9:15 PM, scottyarcy said:

you  mean golf channel tour right?

the golf week ONLY does shotgun starts, so with 120 players it takes forever

Well technically it's just the Golf AmTour now but yes. They have dropped the "channel" part. It's tee times only and they try to do threesomes as well. All the major championships are threesomes. I've never seen a 5 hour round, the longest I have seen was about 4:45, but that was a local event at a tough course. 

The only drawback I hear is cost, but when you consider you will play in a decent time, you get announced on the tee, the overall running of every tournament is top notch, you get your money's worth. 

Edited by NM Golf

Note: This thread is 1388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!