IGNORED

Newbie Observation Driving Range vs. Course

NoName
Note: This thread is 2111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

47 minutes ago, NoName said:

I initially started hitting off the mats, until I noticed a good 90 % of the others were hitting off the grass. And when in Rome ... lol

But yes, I have noticed that my shots on the mats appear to go much further than on the grass. Have also noticed, on the grass, that my divots sometimes go further than the actual ball hahaha. 

Welcome to this lovely game. Definitely start a swing thread and you’ll get fantastic advice. Also, as you are new...

1. Do not get too excited (outwardly) with ‘ah ha’ moments. They will not last and any outward expression of such moments will only anger the golf gods and punish you accordingly.

2. Feel ain’t real. Learn it. Live it.

3. Putting is your least concern.

Welcome again my friend. Cheers.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

41 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Welcome to this lovely game. Definitely start a swing thread and you’ll get fantastic advice. Also, as you are new...

1. Do not get too excited (outwardly) with ‘ah ha’ moments. They will not last and any outward expression of such moments will only anger the golf gods and punish you accordingly.

2. Feel ain’t real. Learn it. Live it.

3. Putting is your least concern.

Welcome again my friend. Cheers.

Haha, dully noted, my friend. And thank you for the warm welcome.

I often have to tell myself to calm down after I hit a " good " shot. Because generally the next one is a violent hook. I fear I may have to start showing up to the golf course in disguise until I get better lol. 

" No one succeeds without effort... Those who succeed owe their success to perseverance.

Let come what comes, let go what goes. See what remains. "

- RM

1 hour ago, NoName said:

And I have been seeing an instructor. Thankfully. I think ... now 3 times ? In the past month or so. I find that each time I go I learn more and more about what I'm doing wrong, and less and less about what I'm doing correctly lol. But that's what I love about golf (as I'm a perfectionist by nature). I love learning. I love the challenge. And I would assume, even after having played for 50 years, that you are still learning. Again, I would assume lol. But what a great game it is.

And I think I'll check out that Member Swing thread. Would love some extra pointers and anything/everything that you good folks have to offer.

I won't speak ill of your instructor, but learning about the things you're doing wrong isn't necessarily productive.  Ideally, you should leave each lesson with one, no more than two, specific things you're going to work on when you practice.  You might have drills or slow movements to practice, but you shouldn't be loaded up with multiple changes all at once.  Video can be a really useful tool, both to demonstrate what you're trying to change, and to take on your own to verify that you're actually making the desired change.  I suggest you talk with your instructor to make sure you understand what your "homework" is at the end of each lesson.

And yes, I'm still working on my game.  I got my first instruction in more than 20 years through my own Swing thread here, and a little more when @iacas visited my club for a TST outing and Aimpoint classes.  A year later, I'm still working on the changes recommended, and making slow progress.  Golf is hard, but its a lot of fun.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

20 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I won't speak ill of your instructor, but learning about the things you're doing wrong isn't necessarily productive.  Ideally, you should leave each lesson with one, no more than two, specific things you're going to work on when you practice.  You might have drills or slow movements to practice, but you shouldn't be loaded up with multiple changes all at once.  Video can be a really useful tool, both to demonstrate what you're trying to change, and to take on your own to verify that you're actually making the desired change.  I suggest you talk with your instructor to make sure you understand what your "homework" is at the end of each lesson.

And yes, I'm still working on my game.  I got my first instruction in more than 20 years through my own Swing thread here, and a little more when @iacas visited my club for a TST outing and Aimpoint classes.  A year later, I'm still working on the changes recommended, and making slow progress.  Golf is hard, but its a lot of fun.

No, that's quite all right. She has a wonderful personality, seems to possess a great deal of knowledge ... however, she has to be pushing 80 or so. And I certainly don't want people to think ill of ME, regarding her age. However, I almost feel like it would be best for me to work with someone a tad bit younger ... maybe a little more technological advanced, as she just critiques me with just her eyes. I don't know. But well, well said in regards to " I suggest you talk with your instructor to make sure you understand what your "homework" is at the end of each lesson. " I don't quite feel I've gotten that from her really ... 

And good for you, my friend !! And for you to say golf is hard ... well, it makes me feel better about myself, as I KNOW you would stomp me all over the golf course if we played lol. 

" No one succeeds without effort... Those who succeed owe their success to perseverance.

- RM

I would say the problem is a combination of everything you mentioned. Fatigue makes a huge difference in every sport I've played, when your start to get tired, you get sloppy. With all forms of sports and exercise it is a good idea to pace yourself and give yourself a rest day now and then to prevent injury. If you find yourself getting worn out by the end of your driving range session, slow down, hydrate, stretch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeM3111 said:

I would say the problem is a combination of everything you mentioned. Fatigue makes a huge difference in every sport I've played, when your start to get tired, you get sloppy. With all forms of sports and exercise it is a good idea to pace yourself and give yourself a rest day now and then to prevent injury. If you find yourself getting worn out by the end of your driving range session, slow down, hydrate, stretch. 

Thank you, Mike !! 

- RM

Similar to my experience 2 weeks ago when I went to the driving range after an over 4 year layoff.   Hadn't hit a real ball full swing since March, 2014.     Soaring balls but with hooks for a time, then dead straight and boring, then -- after moving from driver straight back to wedges halfway thru the large bucket of balls -- topping.    Trying to swing too fast maybe.    Or tiredness.

The old guy closest to me ("old" despite the likelihood he was no older than I) would hit for a spell, then go sit at a picnic table and hydrate for 10 minutes.    Probably the smart way, rest and refocus.     

Good comments above.   

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, DaveP043 said:

I'm at the opposite end of the experience spectrum, I've been playing for about 50 years.  In my opinion, your problem on the range is probably both physical AND mental.  A golf swing involves a lot of muscles, working in ways that are not "normal" in the rest of your life, so without a doubt you're experiencing some physical fatigue.  The golf swing also requires significant concentration, and you'll need to learn to concentrate for extended periods of time.  My full-swing practices rarely last more than 35 or 40 minutes, because at some point it becomes "exercise" rather than actual productive practice.

You haven't mentioned getting instruction, but if you're practicing 6 or 7 days a week without some good guidance, you're probably just ingraining some bad habits.  Lots of practice can improve the consistency of your results to a point, but your upside will probably be limited, and the practice may make future changes more difficult.  I really recommend that you find a good instructor.  One option is to post videos of your swing in the Member Swing thread here https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/.  Be sure to click the Reveal Hidden Content button to learn about getting appropriate quality video, and other guidelines.  

I agree, find a good instructor before you develop a lot of bad habits that will hard to break. 

• Like 1

Thank you, gentleman !!

And great observation, Shanks. I've noticed, personally speaking, that when I take my sweet time out there, I tend to hit the balls much better. Much more accurately. And honestly, I think today is a good example of that, as I had stopped by the driving range this morning, relatively in a hurry. Topped darn near every ball I swung at. And clearly needed to slow my swing down, as I felt a few of the swings darn near bring me up out of my shoes lol.

I guess some days are good, and others ... well, yeah lol. I remember thinking at one point, " Maybe I should take up bowling. " Hahahaha. 

- RM

On 5/22/2018 at 8:59 PM, iacas said:

Golfers are consistent.

It's the results that vary. But bad golfers are pretty much always bad. Their good shots are anomalies. Vice versa for good players.

Yes, Erik. That's true, too.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Welcome to the infirmary. There is no known cure for the golf bug. Everyone here has it, and associates best with people that have it. Other diseases, like leprosy, are quarantined. We call it a golf course. You've found the right place for treatment.  

Your story, I wrote the same thing two years ago. I played when I was a kid, in college, and then started again, about 40 years later. I have walked your path, however, when I decided I really wanted to learn to play golf. So I started the learning curve you've started. I'm not an expert on anything but going from awful to not quite so bad. I'll simply give you my experience. There are others who will tell you to make a swing video and post it, and if you don't do this within the next few days, you aren't going to progress as fast as you might. These people are really good at analyzing swings.

On 5/17/2018 at 11:49 AM, NoName said:

Hello gentleman ! 

As mentioned in my Intro a couple of days or so ago, I am a newbie to the game of Golf. Have watched it since I was a child (am 34 now), but never really knew, nor appreciated, how difficult the game really, truly is.

Difficult?! Man, you have no idea. It gets worse. The better you get, the more you find out it's a lot harder than that. 

With that being said, I've been playing now for roughly a month or so. And in that time I've spent a good 80 % of it on the driving range. Scratch that ... 90 % lol. Have played a few rounds in that time (have lost SEVERAL balls, 10 my first time) of course, but am really trying to hone my swing (see: hit straight) before I get back onto the course. Now to the point of my post ... I tend to practice 6,7 days a week. Generally the driving range followed by some work on the greens. Have noticed these last couple of days that I'm hitting targets (100, 150, 175 yards) more often than not with my irons. However, for example, I'm hitting targets consistently for about 30 minutes or so into my practice session. After that, I'm struggling to hit the balls squarely. Today, for example, I found myself " topping " the ball A LOT towards the end. Or, rather embarrassingly, whiffing the ball completely. And, also embarrassingly, I cant' seem to hit my driver and woods straight to save my life. I mean, they tend to go 200 plus yards everytime, but almost always to the right. Sometimes violently lol.

A couple of things. One, for some reason golfers tend to think they are better than they are. Poker players and lovers think the same thing. But the result will always tell you the truth. You're only as good as your last swing.

The last part is the true part. It takes a LONG time to build up golf stamina. I've been working on keeping my left wrist straight for 23 consecutive months. Ben Hogan moved a guy's thumb on his grip, and said it would be a year before he saw the effect. Maybe apocryphal,, but nonetheless true. It's a difficult skill to master. Or even get good. The goal is to get better.

So my question is this ... what I'm experiencing, particularly out there on the driving range ... is it mental ? Newbie mistakes ? Or is Golf something that one PHYSICALLY needs to become adjusted to ? Perhaps I should pace myself ? Not hit 60 or so balls each day ? Golf more ? Etc. ?

I'm 63, and still work, nights, 7-3 am. I have been on the range or course almost every day for almost two years. Add yoga to your schedule and that's me.

Mental? Undeniably, and more than you can imagine. Newbie? Of course. We tend to think we are better than we actually are, but find out it's a humbling game. IMHO, you're doing fine. It simply takes thousands of reps, 10,000 if you're a fan of Malcolm Gladwell, and that's probably a floor, not mastery. Keep doing what you're doing.

Thank you. 

Hope it helps.

🙂

Wayne

I have been there. Topping the ball cones from lifting the v club instead of dragging it back. when you lift the club up on your back swing you have a tendency to look up before you hit the ball. My father called it pee a boo. Your woods could be a couple of things: 1) you could be standing to close to the ball try backing up a little. 2) You could have the ball to far foward in your stance this you will have to plat around with it a little. 3) Make sure your club face is not pointe3d to the right before you start your swing, if it is you will have what my fiend calls a pronounced fade. I hope this helps some. 😀

You guys are the greatest !! Thank you for the replies !

- RM

• 1 month later...

I don't have any good instructional advise to give as I am not a good player, but can tell you that I also have the same challenges.  A couple years, I got a range pass and practiced and practiced and practiced.  I thought, I could improve this way and it was less expensive than lessons and a lot of greens fees.  Well, I didn't get much better.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 2111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!