IGNORED

Aaron Wise

Moxley
Note: This thread is 2165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Great to see him win yesterday , and what an exciting prospect at just 21. This of course follows his T2 in the wells fargo recently, so it's obviously not just a flash in the pan. 

Wondering how quickly he can make it to the big stage? is it too late for him to play his way into the Ryder Cup? unless I'm mistaken I don't think his win is enough to get him into either the US Open or Open Championship (though he could get into the top 50 by then), so the PGA may be his only big event this year.

Either way, it's going to be really interesting to see what this lad can do

1 hour ago, Moxley said:

Wondering how quickly he can make it to the big stage?

With a PGA Tour win, I think he’s there, even if it’s not a major.

He has earned his way into the US Open in the past (2016–missed cut).

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Moxley said:

This of course follows his T2 in the wells fargo recently, so it's obviously not just a flash in the pan. 

We have very different definitions of "flash in the pan." The history of golf is long. Even in one season, this little run will qualify as nothing more than a "flash in the pan" unless it continues strongly after this.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

He's definitely got potential, and he took the long way onto the PGA Tour. Time will tell how good he will be, but he's got the chops to compete and stay at this level:

• 2016 NCAA Individual Champion
  • Went to the PGA Tour Canada in 2016 and earned a Web.com card
  • Got a PGA Tour card through the 2017 Web.com Tour
  • Won in his 26th start on the PGA Tour (for comparison, Rory won with his 19th, Jordan with his 24th, Justin Thomas with his 43rd)

It's going to be hard to project a ton from this specific win because the course is so different to what they normally play on the PGA Tour. I'm really impressed by guys that can go up through the minor tours like he did, because there are a ton of really talented golfers out there.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

No one knows the future, but Wise is impressive. To go low - 65 - on the last round in the last group, is impressive.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

he jumped up to 66 in the OWGR with the win, so he still has a decent shot to make this year's US Open - needs to climb to Top 60 by June 11

That said, its hard to say what this will turn into.  I think we are a very long ways away from talking Ryder Cup...compare him to someone like Patton Kizzire - he has won twice this year and then sort of fell flat, and don't think he's in much of a Ryder Cup conversation.  I always like to see young guys do well, always looking for the next star, but as impressive as he was this week he still has a long way to go.

-Eric

Alright, I might be a little too excited, and I should have said it doesn't seem like it's a flash in the pan, rather than declaring it obviously wasn't.

Still, I think the signs are promising here, and I don't think it's the same as Kizzire ; Kizzire is a decade older, further into his career, had a less impressive CV on entering the tour, and managed to win a couple of events early in the season before most players had showed up. Basically, Kizzire just had a spell of good form, whereas I think Wise looks to be on an upwards trajectory, and we've likely still to see the best of him.

A long way to go indeed, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing his name a lot in the future.

1 hour ago, Moxley said:

A long way to go indeed, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing his name a lot in the future.

This phrase is grossly over used for the most part. Announcers abuse it like there’s no tomorrow. The PGA Tour is incredibly difficult and the strength of field is deeper than ever. He had a good win and it should just be taken as that and nothing more. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

There is something wrong when someone finishes 2nd and then 1st in great style and the sages declare that he "has potential", or "feel" that they may hear more of him in the future. :-)

The answer is that nobody knows and he is part of a pattern of extremely talented young players turning up ready to win.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Like Smylie Kaufman...poor kid. The butt of the Spring Breakers now....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, Shorty said:

There is something wrong when someone finishes 2nd and then 1st in great style and the sages declare that he "has potential", or "feel" that they may hear more of him in the future. :-)

The answer is that nobody knows and he is part of a pattern of extremely talented young players turning up ready to win.

I'm not a sage, just a golf fan sharing my musings in a forum about professional golf. Whatever our views on Wise are, I fail to see how there's 'something wrong' with that. 

1 hour ago, Moxley said:

I'm not a sage, just a golf fan sharing my musings in a forum about professional golf. Whatever our views on Wise are, I fail to see how there's 'something wrong' with that. 

Well that’s just @Shorty sharing his muse. Not wrong, but I agree that players are over hyped too soon and statements such as yours contribute to that. No biggie really. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we go the rest of the year never hearing about Wise. I think more is required before labeling a player as ‘seeing his name a lot.’ He certainly seems like a kid I’d root for though. We’ll see I guess. 

Note: This thread is 2165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!