IGNORED

LPGA's Lincicome will play in PGA Event in July

MrGolfguy67
Note: This thread is 2097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Brittany was the first professional athlete signed by Barbasol's parent company, the CEO had this to say on the topic - "Brittany's talent as a champion golfer and her character as an exceptional individual make her a most worthy Sponsors Exemption".

8 hours ago, Shorty said:

Just don't pretend she's there because she's an awesome golfer. 

But she is, and awesome person as well.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

She’s not there on merit. Spin it or believe all the bull you want. Women are nowhere near as good as the men.

It’s marketing. Pure and simple. I don’t have any issue with that, but call a spade a spade.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)

Where did I say she was as good as the men?

She's a very good professional golfer who is also a very good person, therefore she has been judged worthy on her own merit.

Edited by MrGolfguy67

Don't you shank no more 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Where did I say she was as good as the men?

Well…

13 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

By the definition of Merit - the quality of being particularly good or worthy, especially so as to deserve praise or reward; as a professional golfer Brittany earned her spot in this event, therefore it is newsworthy.

The event is a men's event on the PGA Tour. Now, admittedly, it's an opposite field event, so it's not particularly strong, but Brittany hasn't established the merit as a golfer to be in the event.

It's not about her qualities as a human being; PGA Tour stops don't give sponsors exemptions to play in the tournament to the nicest people. They award them to:

• Pros on the bubble, those guys who need a break.
  • Local or otherwise newsworthy people. People who will draw some spectators and/or news coverage, local and/or nationally/internationally.
  • A buddy, a nephew's buddy, etc.

That's about it. Only the first of those are at all really "merit" based, because again it's a professional golf tournament of one of the highest levels of play.

Brittany is not playing on "merit." She's playing because it's a little publicity stunt.

Which is totally fine. I've defended the invitations of Jerry Rice and Steph Curry. This is like those.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

It's not about her qualities as a human being; 

In this case it actually is. Did you see my post on the top of page 3 where i quoted what the CEO of Barbasol's parent company said? He said it was a combination of her talent as a golfer and her character as an exceptional individual that make her worthy of the exemption. His words not mine. 

Her status as a championship player on the LPGA partnered with her being known as a big hitter (on her tour) who could handle the step up to a longer course partnered with her character as a good person; she checks all the boxes - therefore she was judged worthy on her own merit. 

Don't you shank no more 

23 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

In this case it actually is. Did you see my post on the top of page 3 where i quoted what the CEO of Barbasol's parent company said? He said it was a combination of her talent as a golfer and her character as an exceptional individual that make her worthy of the exemption. His words not mine. 

Oh Gawd!!! What has her "talent" as a golfer got to do with her playing in a mens event? You may as well have a talented card player. It's a publicity stunt - and I'm fine with that. You are talking as if she's in the field because she's a good player.

Every single CEO of every company that sponsors anyone  says that person X is sponsored because "they embody the values and ethics of our company" or some such BS. No - they sponsor them because they occupy media space when they're doing well, which can be cheaper than buying traditional column inches or advertising air time.

From what I can see, almost every person on the LPGA Tour is an awesome person, once you take out the cheats like revolting Lexi T.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

10 minutes ago, Shorty said:

What has her "talent" as a golfer got to do with her playing in a mens event?        You are talking as if she's in the field because she's a good player.

Because, like i've stated, she's not just some run of the mill LPGA pro who has never won anything and drives it 230 off the tee. She's won multiple times on her tour, majors even, and has the type of game (as a long hitter) that could handle the step up to a longer PGA Tour course. 

Again, she checks all the boxes - Championship player on her tour (Check), known long hitter (Check), character as a good person (Check). 

Don't you shank no more 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Because, like i've stated, she's not just some run of the mill LPGA pro who has never won anything and drives it 230 off the tee. She's won multiple times on her tour, majors even, and has the type of game (as a long hitter) that could handle the step up to a longer PGA Tour course.

I'd take that wager.

She's a good LPGA Tour player. Her entry is not at all "golf-merit" based. Though the PGA Tour doesn't have a gender requirement, the men that play the PGA Tour are much, much, much better than even the best women. There are a few thousand players who are all better than Brittany Lincicome from a "golf-merit" standpoint.

Look at the Serena Williams thing - the best guess was that she, as dominant as she is would be about 500th in the world as a man, IIRC? Ditto for Brittany, and she's no Serena.

Again, she checks all the boxes - Championship player on her tour (Check), known long hitter (Check), character as a good person (Check). 

She doesn't check all the boxes. She checks one box: marketing. It's a marketing stunt. Pure and simple. There's no golf-based merit at all to this decision other than that she's maybe the best female golfer Barbasol has on their roster (or maybe the best that they have on their roster who agreed to take part in the marketing stunt).

P.S. She's averaging 271.695 yards driving (6th) on the LPGA Tour this year. That would place her… 207th… out of 206 golfers on the PGA Tour. By over three yards.

• Like 1

I give up.

If she checks all the boxes, let her do Monday qualifying and see how she goes. That'll solve the problem.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Look at the Serena Williams thing - the best guess was that she, as dominant as she is would be about 500th in the world as a man, IIRC? Ditto for Brittany, and she's no Serena.

100% correct.

And look at the heat McEnroe took for telling truth and then being accused of being sexist for saying she was the best female tennis player ever.

For those who don't know, McEnroe said Serena might be 700 in the mens' rankings after saying she was the best female tennis player ever. The interviewer asked why he couldn't say best "tennis player ever" and why it need the female qualification. Serena agreed, but McEnroe was painted as a villain. Like Iacas said, Lincicome is no Serena Williams.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Though the PGA Tour doesn't have a gender requirement, the men that play the PGA Tour are much, much, much better than even the best women. There are a few thousand players who are all better than Brittany Lincicome from a "golf-merit" standpoint.

You are arguing a point that i'm not even trying to make. I've never said she was better than the men or that she deserves to play over some men. Both you and Shorty seem to not even understand the points i'm making. Everything i've said on the topic is true & correct, i'm sorry if you don't agree with it. We'll just have to agree to disagree. 

Don't you shank no more 

• Administrator

Not true.

You are simply trying to twist the definition of “merit” to suit your case.

There is no golf based merit for her to play.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Not true.

You are simply trying to twist the definition of “merit” to suit your case.

There is no golf based merit for her to play.

Concur  - good LPGA Tour player doesn't constitute "merit" for a PGA event. I'd submit there would be a few college men who are more deserving than Britt based on her tier of "golf merit."

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

On 6/3/2018 at 1:58 AM, Shorty said:

This is the most exciting announcement in a decade and will be the most highly anticipated event in years. She moves the needle like no other golfer in history (except, perhaps, Tiger). She has had several results in the top 50 this year, so anticipation is high. I am excited, as should be every sports lover. She also has a chance to move into the top 30 in the Rolex rankings, so......exciting times.

So. she has finished in the top 50 in the LPGA a couple of times this year? And this qualifies her to play in a PGA event? Sorry, but that's far short of Annika Sorenstam!

On 6/3/2018 at 4:30 AM, Patch said:

As I understand it, unless it has changed, there is no rule that says a man can't play in an LPGA event. With that, there is nothing wrong with a women playing in PGA event. I think some guy did play in a LPGA event way back when. Australia maybe?

I most likely won't watch the event, but I will be checking her scores from time, to time. 

Even if she MCs, she will most likely not finish dead last. It will also be interesting to see if any of the local sports books offer up any prop bets on her play. 

I don't believe that it has changed either. The last I knew, the LPGA rules dictated that a person must be "born" a woman to compete on their tour!

11 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

So. she has finished in the top 50 in the LPGA a couple of times this year? And this qualifies her to play in a PGA event? Sorry, but that's far short of Annika Sorenstam!

Turn on your irony detector :-)

She’ll be lucky to not finish last in the field.  

@MrGolfguy67 do you think she will make the cut, being the awesome LPGA player and super-duper wonderful person she is?

If you do, how much are you willing to bet?

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

9 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

She’ll be lucky to not finish last in the field.  

@MrGolfguy67

She's an awesome person, so she's a winner no matter what happens. Her sponsors said she's a wonderful person. She qualified because she's awesome and that's a very high bar. 😎

• Administrator

Woke up to find that @MrGolfguy67 got a warning for insulting another member (not me), even though he still hasn’t made clear at all what “merit” she has to play.

PR stunt. Pure and simple. And as always for sponsor invitations I’m okay with that reason.

But unless the “merit” is that she’s gonna be good PR there’s no golf-based merit.

@MrGolfguy67

"Sponsor exemptions" is a term applied to places in the field for a professional golf tournament that are set aside to be filled at the discretion of the tournament's sponsor. In other words, the tournament sponsor gets to say, "I want Player X, Player Y and Player Z in my tournament," and those players get in even though they have not otherwise met the qualifying criteria for the tournament. 

Done.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 2097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!