IGNORED

LPGA's Lincicome will play in PGA Event in July

MrGolfguy67
Note: This thread is 2104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Following in the footsteps of Annika Sorenstam, Michelle Wie, and others. The Barbasol Championship is in Kentucky in mid-July opposite the Open Championship.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/02/sports/golf/brittany-lincicome-pga-.html

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Following in the footsteps of Annika Sorenstam, Michelle Wie, and others. The Barbasol Championship is in Kentucky in mid-July opposite the Open Championship.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/02/sports/golf/brittany-lincicome-pga-.html

Stubborn. They just can’t let it go.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I mean, reading her (Lincicome’s) comments on this, she claims that she’s not personally trying to prove a point or make a statement or anything, but simply taking advantage of an opportunity. 

Of course the narrative changes if she does well and contends. And of course the narrative will be also filtered through many agendas along the way. 

But I fail to be riled up about this, and most certainly not in a negative way like so many seem to be. 

I’m interested to watch, and I hope she does well and enjoys herself. And I take her comments at face value as they stand for now. Would definitley be entertained to see her contend or win. It would 

This is the most exciting announcement in a decade and will be the most highly anticipated event in years. She moves the needle like no other golfer in history (except, perhaps, Tiger). She has had several results in the top 50 this year, so anticipation is high. I am excited, as should be every sports lover. She also has a chance to move into the top 30 in the Rolex rankings, so......exciting times.

Edited by Shorty
  • Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Why would you be riled up about it? I thinking it's cool when women compete with men, although I dont expect her to win in dramatic fashion. Even if she did play to the best of her abilities, the odds are poor against a large field.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

As I understand it, unless it has changed, there is no rule that says a man can't play in an LPGA event. With that, there is nothing wrong with a women playing in PGA event. I think some guy did play in a LPGA event way back when. Australia maybe?

I most likely won't watch the event, but I will be checking her scores from time, to time. 

Even if she MCs, she will most likely not finish dead last. It will also be interesting to see if any of the local sports books offer up any prop bets on her play. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, Zeph said:

Why would you be riled up about it? I thinking it's cool when women compete with men, although I dont expect her to win in dramatic fashion. Even if she did play to the best of her abilities, the odds are poor against a large field.

Like I said, I won’t be/am not.  

But I’ve seen in the past some guys come out against women playing events on the PGA Tour for various reasons. I’ve heard: ‘waste of time’,  ‘waste of a spot for a guy trying to make a living’, ‘publicity stunt’, ‘feminist/liberal agenda’, etc.’ 

Some folks get QUITE worked up about it. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Patch said:

As I understand it, unless it has changed, there is no rule that says a man can't play in an LPGA event.

Yes, there is, and always has been.

This is dumb and she won’t come close to contending. But as an opposite field event… they gotta get publicity.

I’ll be watching… because NCAA Nationals are there in 2019.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sam Snead, in 1962 won an  "unofficial" LPGA event. He's credited with being the only man to win an LPGA event. 

As for a women taking away a spot from a man, imo there's men on the PGA tour who have about the same chance of missing the cut as this lady does. 

In the end, it's a sponsor's decision for ratings, which for professional golf is not a bad thing. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Patch said:

As for a women taking away a spot from a man, imo there's men on the PGA tour who have about the same chance of missing the cut as this lady does.

No. She’s way behind any men who could qualify. Maybe not behind some local player who gets a spot.

See also the Serena Williams vs. make players discussion.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 6/3/2018 at 12:54 AM, sofingaw said:

I mean, reading her (Lincicome’s) comments on this, she claims that she’s not personally trying to prove a point or make a statement or anything, but simply taking advantage of an opportunity. 

But I fail to be riled up about this

I’m interested to watch, and I hope she does well and enjoys herself. And I take her comments at face value as they stand for now. Would definitley be entertained to see her contend or win. 

I agree

Don't you shank no more 

I’m ok with her humble comments. I wonder if she was their first choice? I’m surprised they didn’t ask Lexi. I’ll watch, which is the whole point. But I don’t expect much.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Prize money is certainly a motivating factor. So are distance and accuracy. Guys can get on a 550+ yards par 5 in two. Tiger hit a 300+ yard drive with a 3 metal. I don’t believe par is an option for Brittney. But...... good luck to her! 

On 6/5/2018 at 4:31 PM, Vinsk said:

I’m ok with her humble comments. I wonder if she was their first choice? I’m surprised they didn’t ask Lexi. I’ll watch, which is the whole point. But I don’t expect much.

This was a simple decision.

Perio Inc. owns Barbasol and Pure Silk....Lincicome is sponsored by Pure Silk....the CEO of Perio asked Brittany...she said yes.

The Barbasol is being played opposite of the Open Championship....the Barbasol event needs all the exposure they can get.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

That makes sense. I wasn’t aware that BL was sponsored by Pure Silk alone...I thought LT was too. Seems like I see that Pure Silk logo on a bunch of LPGA players.

(edited)

Edited by iacas
please embed videos

Don't you shank no more 

11 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

This was a simple decision.

Perio Inc. owns Barbasol and Pure Silk....Lincicome is sponsored by Pure Silk....the CEO of Perio asked Brittany...she said yes.

The Barbasol is being played opposite of the Open Championship....the Barbasol event needs all the exposure they can get.

Correct - this thread, on a golf board is proof that it is working. Had they given the sponsors exemption to a local player it would have made zero news impact.
Truth is that with it being opposite The Open Championship, I won't watch any of it anyway, but the media will certainly cover the first couple of days that she is teeing it up.

Players play, tough players win!

Note: This thread is 2104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!