IGNORED

Anyone have problems hitting indoors?

Note: This thread is 2120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just wanted to get some feedback on this issue. When I was being fitted for my Ping i200’s I was outside on the range. All was good. When I moved inside to get on the TrackMan, I was hitting inside (like a giant garage with open door) yet I was hitting out to the island greens (our range hits into water.) For the life of me I couldn’t hit. Not the ‘you just suck’ case...I just felt so awkward. I couldn’t hit driver at all either. When I walked about 10’ out to the grass area I did just fine. The pro I was with said he’s know some people who can’t hit in an enclosed environment even when hitting out to real conditions and not a net or screen. I’ve also noticed the same thing the few times I’ve tried simulators or TopGolf-like places it’s like I’ve never swung a club. Does it just take time or have any of you had this issue persist? 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most likely you were subconsciously (?) afraid of your club hitting something. You felt closed in. That would be my guess. 

It probably something you can over come by repetition. 

Only problem I have in doors is if I think the cieling is not high enough. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

3 minutes ago, Patch said:

Most likely you were subconsciously (?) afraid of your club hitting something. You felt closed in. That would be my guess. 

When I tried a simulator in my old house I could see that. But this place (the fitting studio) has a 30’ ceiling. It’s possible that just seeing walls around me may throw me off. I dunno. It’s the main reason I don’t hit clubs at places like PGA SuperStore...I know I’ll just make an ass of myself.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I haven't felt that. In fact, when the local golf dome was up and operational, I actually hit the ball better!

I suppose it was because of the confined space (the back wall of the dome was about 80 yards out (so no full club would not hit the back wall), that I simply focused on a complete swing. There was room enough to see if the shot was curving one way or another.

It was when I got out in the open, on the course, that I would have problems. Suddenly target and distance, and not the swing, became priorities! I would begin "slugging" at the ball. Golf is hard! 

There is a thing called proprioception: an awareness of where your body is in space and time.  It is a valuable commodity when sorting out a movement; but obviates other factors.  Fortunately, it is better, in the long run, to be aware of these things...whether you are aware of them or not.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1 hour ago, Piz said:

There is a thing called proprioception: an awareness of where your body is in space and time.  It is a valuable commodity when sorting out a movement; but obviates other factors.  Fortunately, it is better, in the long run, to be aware of these things...whether you are aware of them or not.

Thanks Bryson. ....kidding..sorry. Yeah I know this and I guess I just haven’t hit inside enough to get over the distraction the surroundings cause for me. 

The noise of a driver in a room the size like Golftec uses can be ear ringing.

Wonder what would happen if you took a swing in an enclosed stadium? Like ballparks in Arizona or Seattle?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Nope, other than my three previous residences had low ceilings so I couldn't really swing indoors beyond maybe chipping.  I hope I can make a full swing indoors and hit a ball, or the mat I have sitting in a room right now, to accompany the indoor hitting net I recently ordered, is going to go to waste. 

To answer your question, no, I haven't had trouble hitting indoors at golf shows or shops.  One of my favorite golf books does have a chapter on how to hit the ball out of the living room of someone living course-adjacent, but I don't recall it happening to me nor can I recall the contents of the chapter offhand, so I don't know if I can help.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Golf is such an insane game that it can give rise to all sorts of phobias (Latin for fear), not to mention the yips and other related maladies. What you describe is definitely fear based.

Indoor phobias are not all that unusual and can be cured. It just takes some practice. You have a fear of possibly mishitting and the ball ricocheting off of walls or ceilings that are obviously a lot closer to you than if you were hitting outside. You unconsciously tighten your grip so much it turns a previously normal swing into something very ugly.

I had a strange phobia about 10 years ago. I couldn't hit from a range, especially double-decker ones. I had the distinct feeling that I would lose my grip on the club and fling it forwards. It also manifested itself sometimes when hitting over water when the ball was right close to the water's edge or sometimes from highly elevated tees. I wasn't afraid of losing the ball, I was afraid of losing the club...launching it into the drink or off a cliff. Crazy!

It got cured. I took a lesson and the pro was able to assure me, by facing me and holding onto the club while I was swinging and tugging as I was completing the follow-through, that regardless of how light I was gripping, it was strong enough to not let it go. In your instance I think it's just going take some practice until you realize that your normal swing is sound enough that you're not going to miss-hit it.

Edited by xrayvizhen

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

This is probably true with me. The problem is I don’t get to hit inside very often. It’s usually just when I’m trying a new club but as I said I just avoid the inside golf store because of my humiliating past experiences. I had an Opti-Shot at my house in Colorado. I thought I’d try it since the weather sucks there for golf for a large part of the year. Regardless of my inability to swing well indoors, imo the Opti-Shot was total junk so I just lost interest in indoor practicing. Maybe I’ll ask my pro to let me use the studio and just spend some time and get familiar with it.

@Vinsk I have felt this same thing with hitting indoors too.  I think part of it for me at least has to do with being a lefty.  I know when I would hit in some bays to try out drivers they would have the lefties hit closer to the wall than the right-handed players due to the setup of their trackman.  I haven't had much of an issue with hitting irons or wedges but I just try and avoid hitting drivers inside at all costs.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 12:18 PM, shakogolfer78 said:

@Vinsk I have felt this same thing with hitting indoors too.  I think part of it for me at least has to do with being a lefty.  I know when I would hit in some bays to try out drivers they would have the lefties hit closer to the wall than the right-handed players due to the setup of their trackman.  I haven't had much of an issue with hitting irons or wedges but I just try and avoid hitting drivers inside at all costs.  

Yeah I’m a lefty too. But I don’t have the excuse of being closer to any wall. The fitting place I was at for my Ping i200’s is a large garage like setting with a high ceiling and plenty of room. I stood about 6’ from the opening to the outside. It’s similar to the setup you see with Mark Crossfield’s videos (let’s get stuckey’ guy). My issue now is I’m going to want to get fitted for the new Ping i220 or i500 when they come out (assuming I like them esthetically.) And even though the facility I used allowed me to hit outdoors, I wasn’t real confident in the fitter. Young guy, gave me lessons for which I came to realize he hasn’t done much homework or kept up with the modern ideology despite being so young. Maybe he’s a better fitter than instructor? So a lot of babble to try and say I’d rather try a more reputable fitter but I fear inevitably it will be in an indoor setting for which I’m bound to make an ass of myself.

Note: This thread is 2120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!