IGNORED

Are graphite shafts only for old dead people?

Note: This thread is 2127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm getting back into golfing.  
I know that skill is 99% and equipment is 1%.

My clubs are 1994 set of Titleist DCI with stiff shaft.
I never should have gotten stiff, since I peaked out at 13 hcp.
I am certain I just need R(egular) shaft for an average swing speed.

With my old set:
100 yards  = wedge
150  = 6 iron.
3W goes 190  (Old TaylorMade 3W)
Driver goes 230 (Rocketballz)

Well, a friend just gave me a set of his new Callaway Steelhead XR

The shafts are Ozik Program f15 60/r matrix
(He just wants to stick with his 1990s Tommy Armour 745s)

My game is rusty so I just need to groove my swing again.
Without spending any money, I have a choice between too stiff and too flex?

Do you think I should use the Callaway's w. graphite shafts?
I don't see how my friend ...who was an 8....was sold old man shafts!
Has the industry evolved ? 

Edited by Used2PlayALot

When I got a new driver a few years ago, I went to Golfsmith and had a guy check out my swing. 
My swing speed is about 85-89mph. 
He said it's nice and smooth and regular flex shaft is right for me. 

Matt Kuchar and Brandt Snedeker have been seen with graphite in their irons in PGA Tour events.  I believe each has won on the PGA Tour with graphite shafted irons.  I would hazard a guess the shafts weren't A-flex or R-flex, might not even have been as "whippy" as S-Flex.  

From the markings, I would guess that your friend's Callaway XRs are regular flex, not senior.

I don't think you'll do wrong with the Callaways.  The XR head is a great clubhead, too -- you'll be able to improve your swing while hitting your fair share of GIRs, a great way to score (and maybe get that handicap under 13) :-) 

My recommendation:  thank your friend for the clubs and use them a bit.  I think they'll work fine for you.  If not, you could consider getting them re-shafted;  it's less expensive than a new set and, as I said before, Callaway XRs are a great iron head. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hello again.  Graphite shafts would likely suit old, dead. people just fine.  I'm thinking of Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen, Harry Vardon, and a few others.  In the hickory days...every shaft was "too whippy".  It is possible to play, very effectively, with a softer shaft; but quite difficult to craft an efficient swing around a shaft that is too stiff.  Not saying it cannot be done; but the former results in a more elegant swing.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Speaking for us older, dead golfers, we can use any shaft in the right flex. Where we run into problems is when the chosen shaft is too long. If they are too long, the roof of our caskets gets in the way. Still, another reason to use a qualified club fitter...................lol 😀

Edited by Patch
  • Like 3

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

So, you're saying getting "R" flex graphite shafts is not a colossal mistake?

If so, then I will keep using the clubs if it's not a big deal.  

Just wondering what the difference b/w "R" flex steel shaft vs. "R" flex graphite shaft ?

Patch, you said it right! Too long a shaft also gets in the way of the headstone!  Now, back to the question.  Now that I am older with an 80mph swig, sometimes better sometimes worse, the move to graphite senior has made golf fun again.  My wedges are stiff non-graphite, but work very well.  A proper fitting is worth the time (and money).

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I chose reg graphite in all clubs couldn’t be happier.

Driver 240-260 

7 iron 150

When on a monitor box store unqualified types tell me I need stiff,  but being fitted outdoors on Trackman by pro I trust worked differently.  So glad I went to softer gear.

2 hours ago, Used2PlayALot said:

OUCH!  That's a bitch slap if I've ever been bitch slapped.   

• Like 3

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

@Used2PlayALot, there are no standard flex specifications One mfr's R  flex might be stiffer than another's and vice versa. IMHO Nippon steel shafts are among the most consistent. I have Project X R flex in my irons and A flex in my driver and they are comparable. I have another mfr's R graphite shafts in my other iron set and they play stiffer. You will have to hit an play with the clubs. I would pay attention to the weight, launch height and "loading" of the shaft (I'm not that smart; my pro friend says that). Anyway, much, much more than just flex to be considered. And, yes, graphite is not just for the recently dead! Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

21 hours ago, Used2PlayALot said:

I'm getting back into golfing.  
I know that skill is 99% and equipment is 1%.

More like 75/25.

Edited by c. lassiter
Screwed up the quote.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, c. lassiter said:

More like 75/25.

It's nowhere near 75/25.

I could beat you with a set of women's clubs, and Dustin Johnson could probably beat me with a lefty set of women's clubs. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

37 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's nowhere near 75/25.

I could beat you with a set of women's clubs, and Dustin Johnson could probably beat me with a lefty set of women's clubs. :-)

So what are you saying?  85/15?  95/5?  Surely you are not suggesting that it makes no difference at all.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, c. lassiter said:

So what are you saying?  85/15?  95/5?  Surely you are not suggesting that it makes no difference at all.

I'm not saying it's no difference.

Just that it's nowhere near 75/25.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I know little, except what I experienced.

i had stiff graphite shafts 14 years ago, and didn’t play after that year. When I got back into it again this year, they hurt and I was erratic. I bought some reg flex, and things were better, and I knew I was on the right track. I had my swing speed checked and I was borderline, then tried some senior flex. Arms didn’t hurt at all, everything was straighter and distance increased a lot. It was magic.

I’d say the right gear vs skill is close to 50/50.

Edited by Robbie son of Lucky

The skill/gear ratio is 100/0.  In the words of the philosopher Bum Phillips..."He can take his'n and beat your'n or your'n and beat his'n".

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Piz said:

The skill/gear ratio is 100/0.

No, it’s not that high either.

Note: This thread is 2127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!