IGNORED

Was lining up my feet crooked

Note: This thread is 1772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just started playing again after many years away.  Game is rough around the edges.  Inconsistent for now.

All day I've had a consistent bit of slice fade.

On the last few holes, I told my friend to stand behind me and see if my feet were aligned correctly.

He said my toes were pointed to the left side of the rough.   So, I adjusted and the slice was reduced bigtime.

What are some of your tips for correct alignment and aiming?

photo.jpg

I hold the club I am going to use, horizontally, with my arms hanging straight down at my hips. This tells me how my feet, knees, and hips are aligned, in relation to my intended target line. Since my arms are attached to my shoulders, my shoulders fall in line with my lower body. Since my swing follows my shoulder line, my overall ball flight is usually pretty good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Were you holding your mouth right?  That's the real key.  A simple way to check is to compare your facial expression, at address, to your facial expression after the shot.  If they are quite dissimilar...you weren't holding your mouth right.  Improper alignment, foot-wise, is often the root cause of this phenomenon...although there are many other factors that may play a role.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

19 hours ago, Used2PlayALot said:

Just started playing again after many years away.  Game is rough around the edges.  Inconsistent for now.

All day I've had a consistent bit of slice fade.

On the last few holes, I told my friend to stand behind me and see if my feet were aligned correctly.

He said my toes were pointed to the left side of the rough.   So, I adjusted and the slice was reduced bigtime.

What are some of your tips for correct alignment and aiming?

photo.jpg

I practice with alignment stick or another club. I take my stance and align my body, then I lay the stick or club at my feet and see if I was aligned correctly.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...

My living room floor is white 12" vinyl tile squares with 1" black squares in side. I work on my alignment at home using the squares to check and make sure that my club face is square, and my feet, hips and shoulders are square. At the range, I use a second club on the ground.

I honestly don't know what a "slice fade" is!

Is this another description of a push fade? Tell me.

It doesn't just matter where your feet are pointing, it also matters where your hips and shoulders are pointing as well.

The feet don't matter.  What matters is the knees, hips and shoulders are all aligned in the same manner. 

By looking at your picture, it looks like your shoulders are pointed more right than your knees.  It's a bit difficult to see where your hips are aligned.

I always address the ball by first aligning myself behind the ball to my target, then I walk up several feet left of my ball then stop and turn 90 degrees to my ball and address it perpendicular to my target line.  I ignore my feet pretty much.  When I swing, I'm focused on ensuring my swing arc is more of an in to out swing and that my divot starts after the ball and curves to the left (I'm right handed).

Edited by edomingox

I've found it's just practice.  Every time I go to the range I line up one alignment stick close to where I want my feet, and another one fairly close to where I'm going to be placing the balls, both parallel to my target line.  So then you're always perfectly aligned during practice.  Do that enough and you'll get very familiar for exactly what it feels like when you look up from the ball at your target after you set up when you're aligned correctly.  

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• 11 months later...
Note: This thread is 1772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!