IGNORED

2018 WGC Invitational at Firestone

colin007
Note: This thread is 2087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just no excuse for Tiger to hit short of the green on a par 3. Just a damn shame.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

The cut shot JT just hit ....for those who don’t get it ...(Judy Rankin/Julie Inkster) ...that’s why the PGA is just so much more entertaining than LPGA.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

16 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Tiger usually sucks day 1 and then becomes a third round machine. Looks like it’s working the opposite way this weekend. He’s falling out of contention.

Falling? He only needs to shoot 60 tomorrow... then he's right back in it!!!

Edited by GrandStranded

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

1 hour ago, GrandStranded said:

Falling? He only needs to shoot 60 tomorrow... then he's right back in it!!!

You’re being kind with 60. As each hole goes by its looking more like 56 or 57.

Just now, ChrisP said:

You’re being kind with 60. As each hole goes by its looking more like 56 or 57.

Yesterday I said I thought he looked tired. Today he looks old and tired. I'm starting to wonder how much longer he's going to want to be "just a guy" out there. I'm thinking one more year.

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Yesterday I said I thought he looked tired. Today he looks old and tired. I'm starting to wonder how much longer he's going to want to be "just a guy" out there. I'm thinking one more year.

Oh brother.

He isn't even "just a guy" right now.

He's had multiple top 10s this year. He's still the only real needle mover in the game. He's top 50 in the OWGR despite the minimum divisor of 40.

And he's doing it all coming back from a surgery and basically multiple years almost completely away from the game; a game that chews people up and spits them back out.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

44 minutes ago, iacas said:

Oh brother.

He isn't even "just a guy" right now.

He's had multiple top 10s this year. He's still the only real needle mover in the game. He's top 50 in the OWGR despite the minimum divisor of 40.

And he's doing it all coming back from a surgery and basically multiple years almost completely away from the game; a game that chews people up and spits them back out.

I'm talking about how HE feels this comeback is going. Obviously, if he really believes he can dominate or even get multiple wins again, he's going to keep at it. But let's say this time next year he still hasn't won. You don't think he'd think about retiring? I don't think he's in it for money anymore. He might just feel that with all he's accomplished, why not get on with the rest of his life? 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

I'm talking about how HE feels this comeback is going.

You don't know much of anything about how "he feels this comeback is going."

Every indication he's given says he's ahead of even his expectations. He's doing well, and has gotten into contention a number of times.

3 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Obviously, if he really believes he can dominate or even get multiple wins again, he's going to keep at it. But let's say this time next year he still hasn't won.

That's a long ways off, and really doesn't apply to this topic, wouldn't you agree?

I saw somewhere the other day that Tiger is the only player with a certain set of stats that hasn't won yet this year.

If he keeps playing at this level alone (let alone if he can get a little bit better), winning is not a matter of if, but when.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

I'm talking about how HE feels this comeback is going. Obviously, if he really believes he can dominate or even get multiple wins again, he's going to keep at it. But let's say this time next year he still hasn't won. You don't think he'd think about retiring? I don't think he's in it for money anymore. He might just feel that with all he's accomplished, why not get on with the rest of his life? 

His interviews don’t give any indication he’s disappointed about his progress. 

If anyone knows how hard it is to win on the PGA tour it's Tiger. Just because it he made it look easy, doesn't mean it wasn't extremely difficult. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

You don't know much of anything about how "he feels this comeback is going."

Every indication he's given says he's ahead of even his expectations. He's doing well, and has gotten into contention a number of times.

That's a long ways off, and really doesn't apply to this topic, wouldn't you agree?

I saw somewhere the other day that Tiger is the only player with a certain set of stats that hasn't won yet this year.

If he keeps playing at this level alone (let alone if he can get a little bit better), winning is not a matter of if, but when.

You're right, I'm getting off topic. Sorry about that, I'll end it here. Hey, if he goes home at night and honestly feels he's on the right track, good for him. Keep on going. I just see a guy who's obviously still a good player, but nowhere what he was. He's in his forties. One week it's putting, one week it's distance control, and the driver...? I'm not saying he can't catch lightning in a bottle and win sometime. That's what a "guy" does out there. 

6 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

I would agree. He's obviously still a really good golfer since his comeback, and probably inside top 20 in the world, but to him that's probably 'just a guy'. There's plenty of time for him still to do it, but if he doesn't get back to top 5 in the world, picking up a couple of wins per season, I think the motivation could be an issue. 

It's fine when he's in contention and chasing like in the Open, but days like tomorrow where he's just got to grind out a top 5/10 whatever finish may take their toll on somebody who thrived on being in the mix.  

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

You're right, I'm getting off topic. Sorry about that, I'll end it here. Hey, if he goes home at night and honestly feels he's on the right track, good for him. Keep on going.

Just about everything that he's said indicates that this is the case.

4 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

I'm not saying he can't catch lightning in a bottle and win sometime.

He doesn't need that. At all. He just needs to keep doing what he's doing.

Did you see my note about the stats? I found out what it was… he's the only player in the top ten in strokes gained (he's 7th) without a win. If he keeps doing what he's doing, he'll win.

2 minutes ago, Moxley said:

It's fine when he's in contention and chasing like in the Open, but days like tomorrow where he's just got to grind out a top 5/10 whatever finish may take their toll on somebody who thrived on being in the mix.  

You seem to think he was in the mix every week when he was a top player. It may seem like that, but even that was not true. He still had to grind out plenty of T24s.

• Like 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Let’s not forget it’s not like Tiger’s time off was a timeout for golf. Many young players came to and the field is deeper than ever. Yet here’s Tiger coming back to that with several contentions including leading The Open on Sunday. There is absolutely nothing negative going on regarding Tiger’s progress. Hell a year ago if one of us said we think Tiger will be leading a major on Sunday in 2018 many of you would’ve jumped all over such an outlandish prediction.

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

LMAO. It's a marquee pairing for sure. As much as I like Rory and Poulter, this is JT's to lose. He looks like he did this time last year. Rory's putter scares me, but the way he's driving it he keeps giving himself chances. Hopefully it comes down to the wire.

Note: This thread is 2087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!