IGNORED

Chicken or the egg?

Note: This thread is 2079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd love opinions on this question....before I go for a club fitting, should I try and groove my swing, so that the fitting is tied to something consistent or get fit to a swing that may be different from one to the next?  Thanks!

What sort of fitting?  Some measurements don't change much, others do.   The reality is that if your swings are probably sufficiently similar to one another that the right result in fitting can be found.  I wouldn't spend the money for the five hour every club every possible spec fitting that a Tour player might get, but the "OEM representatives are at the golf shop today, spend 30 minutes and get the suggestion for which irons in which specs to get" is a far better idea than off the shelf, no matter your level.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tough question, with two possible answers.

Get the fitting first, if you want, with what ever swing you have now. Just be sure to get a set of clubs that can easily be adjusted to how your swing might change later on. Some clubs are tough to adjust, and you will find it tough to find someone to adjust them locally.

Second option is to have a consistent, decent ball flight swing before getting fitted. The fitting will do more good, for your score with an already decent swing. Plus you don't have to buy new clubs down the line for a while, or worry about someone to adjust the set as needed, should your swing change. 

If it were me, I would go with the second option. Especially if my fitter was also a combo swing guru/fitter/club builder. 

What ever you do, make sure whoever you are dealing with is qualified, and knows what they are doing.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator

If you wait to groove a swing before you get fitted for clubs you’ll never get fitted for clubs.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, 59ike said:

I'd love opinions on this question....before I go for a club fitting, should I try and groove my swing, so that the fitting is tied to something consistent or get fit to a swing that may be different from one to the next?  Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about the swing itself - if you're trying to get better, you'll always be tweaking one thing or another.

If you're new to the game, I would probably have a pro look at your stance/setup to make sure you're not doing something glaringly bad that would mess up your static measurements (lie angle, etc)...but a good fitter would probably do that anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

- John

On 8/6/2018 at 2:00 PM, iacas said:

If you wait to groove a swing before you get fitted for clubs you’ll never get fitted for clubs.

Yep! Also, many of the measurements needed for a fitting can be done statically, they don't need you to swing. One exception to this is a "dynamic" lie fitting. If I were spending the money for a fitting and new clubs, I'd definitely want this done!

You did not mention your experience level, but from what you said, it sounds like you are very new to the game.

You need as others have described, a static fitting which matches the length and lie of the club to your general size, as well as having the proper size grip for your hands. I would also consider investing in a decent set of clubs. You don't have to have the very best, but actually if you look around you can find better used clubs that match your specs. If you buy used, pay attention to the grips and make sure they are your size, as well as replacing them if they are worn.

Better, good fitting equipment will help you progress faster.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 2079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!