IGNORED

Picking Up Wrong Ball

Hoosier 1
Note: This thread is 2082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A player gets to a ball that is in the GUR (Newly planted sod that many player play from) and can't decide if he wants to drop or not.  After a minute he decides he wants a free drop and picks the ball up and drops to nearest point.  He gets ready to hit when another player ask if he is hitting the correct ball.  At that point he realizes he has made a determination on another players ball and lie.  He plays his ball while the other player drops the ball moved.  Is there a penalty by the guy making a determination and moving the ball?

Not unless they were playing a match against each other. In which case he would get a 1 stroke penalty.

See rules 18-4 and 18-3

Edited by Rulesman
  • Thumbs Up 1

18-3. By Opponent, Caddie or Equipment in Match Play

a. During Search

If, during search for a player's ball, an opponent, his caddie or his equipment, moves the ball, touches it or causes it to move, there is no penalty. If the ball is moved, it must be replaced.

b. Other Than During Search

If, other than during search for a player's ball, an opponent, his caddie or his equipment, moves the ball, touches it purposely or causes it to move, except as otherwise provided in the Rules, the opponent incurs a penalty of one stroke. If the ball is moved, it must be replaced.

(Playing a wrong ball - see Rule 15-3)

(Ball moved in measuring - see Rule 18-6)

18-4. By Fellow-Competitor, Caddie or Equipment in Stroke Play

If a fellow-competitor, his caddie or his equipment, moves the player's ball, touches it or causes it to move, there is no penalty. If the ball is moved, it must be replaced.

I wonder why they make the distinction between match play and stroke play?

Either way, as long as it wasn't stroke play, then there is no penalty as long as you replaced the ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Because 18-3b is different than 18-4.

The guy purposefully picked up the ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Because 18-3b is different than 18-4.

The guy purposefully picked up the ball.

Does 18-3b apply in equity then in stroke play?

If so, then if a person thinks a ball is theirs, and goes ahead with the OP's description of events, they suffer a penalty. Because, this wasn't in the act of searching for a ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

8 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Either way, as long as it wasn't stroke play, then there is no penalty as long as you replaced the ball.

Are you sure? There is no mention of a search.

(edited)
11 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

In stroke play, a fellow competitor fits the definition of an outside agency.  If there was a penalty to be assessed to either player, it would be outlined in 18-4.

In stroke play, an outside agency is any agency other than the competitor's side, any caddie of the side, any ball played by the side at the hole being played or any equipment of the side.

In match play, there IS a penalty for moving your opponents ball, as @Rulesman pointed out.  18-3b is specifically for match play.  

Edited by DaveP043

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Ok, I still don't get why there is a distinction between stroke play and match play here.

18-4 is vague enough that it should cover if the ball was purposely moved or not. Other rules specify accidently touched, or touched when searching for a ball, or purposely touched. Not stating the intent implies it covers all scenarios, including malicious ones. I can easily think of a situation were an opponent moves the players ball. Why not just make the wording the same?

Is any malicious intent in stroke play fall under Rule 1, disqualification by the committee?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

21 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Ok, I still don't get why there is a distinction between stroke play and match play here.

18-4 is vague enough that it should cover if the ball was purposely moved or not. Other rules specify accidently touched, or touched when searching for a ball, or purposely touched. Not stating the intent implies it covers all scenarios, including malicious ones. I can easily think of a situation were an opponent moves the players ball. Why not just make the wording the same? 

Is any malicious intent in stroke play fall under Rule 1, disqualification by the committee? 

First, be careful with opponent vs. fellow-competitor. Opponent = person you're playing against in match play; fellow-competitor = someone you're playing with in stroke play.

Rule 1-2 would probably apply if a player in stroke play moved another player's ball with the intent to place that player at a disadvantage. In general, though, in stroke play, this is no harm, no foul type situation.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

5 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

First, be careful with opponent vs. fellow-competitor. Opponent = person you're playing against in match play; fellow-competitor = someone you're playing with in stroke play.

Rule 1-2 would probably apply if a player in stroke play moved another player's ball with the intent to place that player at a disadvantage. In general, though, in stroke play, this is no harm, no foul type situation.

Rule 1-2, is influencing the movement of the ball. Not causing the ball to move that has come to rest.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

15 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Rule 1-2, is influencing the movement of the ball. Not causing the ball to move that has come to rest. 

:doh:Boy, I don't know what happened to my reading skills there.

That said, I think you deal with malicious intent in stroke play by disqualification under 33-7. This would be really rare, though. For example, finding a ball you know is another player's but then throwing it into weeds so he can't find it.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, Rulesman said:

Are you sure? There is no mention of a search.

Does "search" have a specific meaning in golf?

Pretty much a search is any time between hitting your ball and finding it - whether it's obvious or not....whether others are helping you or not.

Bill - 

9 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Pretty much a search is any time between hitting your ball and finding it - whether it's obvious or not....whether others are helping you or not.

It means looking for the ball in the area you expect it to be.

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Here's the way I look at it.  Perhaps I'm not entirely correct, but this is the way it makes sense to me.

In match play, there are 3 categories of human beings.  There's your side, potentially including a partner and caddies.  If your side moves your own ball, you get a penalty, and you have to put it back.  There's your opponent, potentially including partners and their caddies.  If your opponent moves your ball, in most cases THEY get a penalty, and you replace the ball.  Then there's everybody else in the world.  If they move your ball, you put it back, and nobody gets a penalty.

In stroke play, there are only two categories of humans.  There's your side, again potentially including your partner and your caddie(s). If your side moves your ball, you get a penalty, and you have to put it back.  Then there's everyone else in the world, including your fellow-competitors.  Your fellow-competitors have no more standing in relation to your ball than a spectator, a rules official, the guy mowing the greens, or a hot dog vendor.  If any of them move your ball, you put it back, no penalty to anyone.  Obvious the exception is a fellow-competitor maliciously moving your ball to intentionally put you at a disadvantage, as @DeadMan mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

24 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

No, remember that there is a time limit. As per @Rulesman, that time doesn’t start when you make your stroke—you’re allowed time to get there. Off topic for this thread, but still...

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

1 hour ago, Missouri Swede said:

No, remember that there is a time limit. As per @Rulesman, that time doesn’t start when you make your stroke—you’re allowed time to get there. Off topic for this thread, but still...

the "from the stroke" part, of course I was being wry about it, but you need to understand what i mean then.

this part makes sense of course, as does rulesman's reply, both are a bit 'no kidding'.  but I mean is it defined in the rules in writing - is there a paragraph?  I'll go do a rules keyword search.  Just seeing if anyone would reply directly.  Something along "a search begins when player is in the area, the location isn't immediately apparent and he announces he's searching for his ball"  or the like.

If not, Hoosier noted "there was no searching, he just assumed it was his ball" - well, the time he was in the area is still a search.....he failed.....(it was in the area he thought the ball was in, and he looked for his ball, and he identified a candiate) - I would say a search was conducted in general terms, perhaps not so if 'search' is explicitly defined though.

that's enough of that if people consider it off topic - I didn't

thanks to both of you for the answers though

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!