IGNORED

NFL 2018-19

iacas
Note: This thread is 1862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well if I have learned anything in 16 years of coaching football it's that you are going to get bad calls. I remember my first few years yelling at officials, ranting and raving about terrible calls. After that I learned that bad calls are just going to be part of the game.....sometimes you get a call and sometimes you don't. I can pretty much guarantee that if you ask any football coach about bad calls your gonna get the same answer..."you win some and lose some". Is it fair? No. But life isn't fair either. I don't think the Chiefs got robbed nearly as bad as the Saints. The Chiefs defense was garbage all season and it ended up biting them in the ass. The Saints call....was a game changer. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Officials should not have the ability to determine the fate of a team who rightfully earned their place in NFL championship history.”

Well, they didn't do that. It's not like they literally won and the referees did something that took it away. The guy didn't catch the game-winning TD as time expired and the refs ruled him OB when he was clearly in, or something.

But yeah, this shit gets silly, but that's why good refereeing is needed. People are tuning out the NFL. It all feels rigged, and people like to say rigged because at least that implies more than incompetence.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

Well, they didn't do that. It's not like they literally won and the referees did something that took it away. The guy didn't catch the game-winning TD as time expired and the refs ruled him OB when he was clearly in, or something.

But yeah, this shit gets silly, but that's why good refereeing is needed. People are tuning out the NFL. It all feels rigged, and people like to say rigged because at least that implies more than incompetence.

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

At the risk of getting political, it's an absolute joke that any of our federal legislators are wasting time on such things.

Agree.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 1:14 PM, bkuehn1952 said:

Reviewing penalties would be a disaster and that would not have helped the N.O. Saints.  No penalty was called so there would be nothing to review.  Pass interference is much like holding by the offensive line.  Every play likely has some degree of interference and holding.  If there are reviews, every play has to be reviewed.

That was what I replied to some guy on another forum. Well, what about the holding penalty that wasn't called on the NO offensive lineman on that play? He said, "What holding call?" Exactly! Haven't you heard that an NFL ref could call holding on every offensive play if he wanted to?

I hope this idea of "retro" or "review" penalties gets snuffed out really quickly! How long do you want NFL games to take? 6 hours? Hell, I'm just glad they were finally able to figure out what a catch was! 

Back in the day of "completing the process" and "surviving the ground" watching an NFL game was becoming alarmingly close to watching a legal proceeding rather than an athletic contest! 

• 2 weeks later...

Well that game was terrible... I actually thought the Rams were gonna win, but I was wrong. I was really surprised how poor the gameplan was honestly. Reviewing the film (since I sports bet), the Rams made two massive, obvious errors: They needed a blocking TE on the roster to stay in and add protection. It was a huge mistake to send the TEs on as many routes as they did. Secondly, Todd Gurley's usage, if he was in fact healthy like McVay keeps saying, was unforgivably bad. Regardless though, even if Gurley was banged up, the lack of targets to the RBs was the second biggest mistake they made. If Gurley was hurt, CJA should've gotten 5-8 targets in the flats, which would've sustained a few drives IMO. 

I'm sure anyone who reviews the film will see this too, and this was echoed by a few voices involved in coaching that I respect. But seriously, I can't believe McVay's game plan was not to adjust to the Patriots, but rather to just do what they always do and just try to out-execute. Okay, that's fine to start the game that way, but after 10 minutes, it should've been clear adjustments had to be made to counter the Patriots' pressure. 

Constantine

5 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Well that game was terrible... I actually thought the Rams were gonna win, but I was wrong. I was really surprised how poor the gameplan was honestly. Reviewing the film (since I sports bet), the Rams made two massive, obvious errors: They needed a blocking TE on the roster to stay in and add protection. It was a huge mistake to send the TEs on as many routes as they did. Secondly, Todd Gurley's usage, if he was in fact healthy like McVay keeps saying, was unforgivably bad. Regardless though, even if Gurley was banged up, the lack of targets to the RBs was the second biggest mistake they made. If Gurley was hurt, CJA should've gotten 5-8 targets in the flats, which would've sustained a few drives IMO. 

I'm sure anyone who reviews the film will see this too, and this was echoed by a few voices involved in coaching that I respect. But seriously, I can't believe McVay's game plan was not to adjust to the Patriots, but rather to just do what they always do and just try to out-execute. Okay, that's fine to start the game that way, but after 10 minutes, it should've been clear adjustments had to be made to counter the Patriots' pressure. 

I just don’t think the Rams showed up. The games leading up to the SB imo showed the Rams to have a much better offense than what was seen in the SB. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

I just don’t think the Rams showed up. The games leading up to the SB imo showed the Rams to have a much better offense than what was seen in the SB. 

That's a fair opinion certainly, but IMO the reason they lost was coaching, and the Rams players were let down, for the reasons I cited.

Constantine

4 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

That's a fair opinion certainly, but IMO the reason they lost was coaching, and the Rams players were let down, for the reasons I cited.

I wonder what kind of communication took place amongst the OC and head coach? I mean surely someone on the Offensive unit could see the strategy was failing.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I wonder what kind of communication took place amongst the OC and head coach? I mean surely someone on the Offensive unit could see the strategy was failing.

That's a good question and I would like to know the answer to that, so I actually googled around just now to see if I could find anything. McVay did say to the media after the game that he got outcoached, but that obviously could just be him trying to draw heat away from his players.

"They did a good with job with that, with the stunts and different things. They mixed it up," McVay said. "They played almost exclusively some man coverage principles and decided to take away -- really in the early downs, all they ended up was playing some single high buzz structures with some quarter principles. They did a great job. it was a great game plan. There is no other way to say it, but I got out-coached tonight."

Remember, McVay is the puppet master in Jared Goff's helmet, so if he's confused, then Goff is going to be confused and that was definitely the case in this game. According to Goff, the Patriots defense was disguising its looks on nearly every play. 

"Everything," Goff said. "They were doing such a good job defensively mixing it up on us and we had a hard time moving the ball. They played so well, and we know what type of offense we are, and for them to do what they did to us tonight is impressive."

Source

Patriots obviously deserved to win and have all the respect, but it does sound like the Rams players themselves were seeing what was going on, but just couldn't execute given what the Patriots were doing, sort of like a rock beat scissors situation where no matter how hard you try, you're going to get beat. 

Left tackle Andrew Whitworth said the Rams couldn't get their run game going because the Patriots switched up their defensive front and started putting six guys on the line. 

"They did a really good job of playing us with six on the line all day and limited space to be able to get the runs through there," Whitworth said. "Just missed opportunities for us."

Running back C.J. Anderson saw the same thing Whitworth saw: The Patriots controlled the gaps on the offensive line for all four quarters, which made it nearly impossible for the Rams to run the ball. 

"Gap control," Anderson said of why L.A. had so much trouble on the ground. "They played New England football, that's what they do. They've been doing that for years, so nothing changed. We just didn't execute today."

According to Whitworth, the Patriots were doing things that the Rams hadn't really seen on film all season. 

"I think they ran some games and then had some different looks where maybe guys who had been kind of the rushers all year, where different guys were rushing and some of that stuff," Whitworth said. "And then we just had some early things you can't do, some miscommunications on which protections and different things. It's just unfortunate that we didn't take advantage of the opportunities we did have."

....which is why I just cannot understand why the Rams did not keep their TEs in to account for this. It was useless to continue sending them on routes. Higbee and Everett are both receiving TEs too and having that roster makeup obviously left them ill-prepared to counter this even if they tried to, but they should've at least tried to. 

That's why I don't think this is on the Rams players as much as it is on McVay. The Rams defense certainly did a great job holding the Patriots to just 13 points as well. 

Anyway, it was an entertaining season even if this final game wasn't particularly exciting from a non-Patriots fan perspective. 

Edit: I guess I didn't answer your question, Vinsk, but it sounds like the players knew what was going on. Or at least Andrew Whitworth did. The Rams O is the Sean McVay show, so it wouldn't surprise me if this was all him. 

Edited by iacas
cleaned up pasted text

Constantine

10 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

McVay did say to the media after the game that he got outcoached,

McVay was going against Belicheck. He should’ve known that before the game and accepted he’d have to make rapid adjustments and not just ‘stick to a game plan.’ Yeah....sounds like coaching played a huge role in that loss.

6 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

McVay was going against Belicheck. He should’ve known that before the game and accepted he’d have to make rapid adjustments and not just ‘stick to a game plan.’ Yeah....sounds like coaching played a huge role in that loss.

Yea, I really thought Sean McVay was the guy who would crack the code too, so it definitely surprised me when he just didn't adjust. I hope he learned something, but I guess we'll have to see next year how his coaching tendencies change, if at all. The three points they ended up scoring was certainly a shocker. I was confident that the under would come through, but 16 total points was pretty shocking to me. 

Constantine

2 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

....which is why I just cannot understand why the Rams did not keep their TEs in to account for this. It was useless to continue sending them on routes. Higbee and Everett are both receiving TEs too and having that roster makeup obviously left them ill-prepared to counter this even if they tried to, but they should've at least tried to. 

The Rams may have been banking on the fact that the Pats were generally poor at defending against TEs receiving during the season. There were games where a no-name TE was made to look like Tony Gonzales. It was frustrating to watch.

But against K.C., twice, they shut down Kelce for the most part, and he is a terrific receiving TE. So they got better at it because they were able to pressure QBs more later in the season.

I think what the Pats did best was disguise the D until right before the snap. They started that around mid-season with even having no down linemen at the snap. It was a defense I first saw them do against Buffalo when Bledsoe was QB. The QB and line have no idea where pressure is coming from. But a good offense would just audible to a power run to counter. Rams did not do that.

Scott

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The Rams may have been banking on the fact that the Pats were generally poor at defending against TEs receiving during the season. There were games where a no-name TE was made to look like Tony Gonzales. It was frustrating to watch.

But against K.C., twice, they shut down Kelce for the most part, and he is a terrific receiving TE. So they got better at it because they were able to pressure QBs more later in the season.

I think what the Pats did best was disguise the D until right before the snap. They started that around mid-season with even having no down linemen at the snap. It was a defense I first saw them do against Buffalo when Bledsoe was QB. The QB and line have no idea where pressure is coming from. But a good offense would just audible to a power run to counter. Rams did not do that.

Yea, it was pretty odd how well the Patriots defense played during key stretches of their last five games of the season considering how bad they looked at times earlier in the year. Of course when it really mattered, they were totally prepared. 

But the Pats were really bad against covering running backs, so I'm just surprised the Rams didn't attack that at all. What in the world was wrong with Todd Gurley? He was obviously hurt despite what Sean McVay keeps saying, but I was sure Gurley would've had his knee scoped by now, and yet it hasn't happened. Bizarre. 

Anyway, now we're nearing that time of year where I brace myself for the sequence of garbage moves the Jets always make each offseason. I assume they're gonna end up somehow mortgaging the next five years on a totally bloated Le'Veon Bell contract where he inevitably declines within two season. Ugh in advance. 

Edited by JetFan1983

Constantine

The local papers were saying that the Lions helped the Pats figure out how to beat the Rams.   Media grab I'm sure but the hapless Lions played both well.   They were close to the Rams at the end of 3 and did beat the Patriots.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 2/17/2019 at 4:05 PM, JetFan1983 said:

Yea, it was pretty odd how well the Patriots defense played during key stretches of their last five games of the season considering how bad they looked at times earlier in the year. Of course when it really mattered, they were totally prepared. 

But the Pats were really bad against covering running backs, so I'm just surprised the Rams didn't attack that at all. What in the world was wrong with Todd Gurley? He was obviously hurt despite what Sean McVay keeps saying, but I was sure Gurley would've had his knee scoped by now, and yet it hasn't happened. Bizarre. 

Anyway, now we're nearing that time of year where I brace myself for the sequence of garbage moves the Jets always make each offseason. I assume they're gonna end up somehow mortgaging the next five years on a totally bloated Le'Veon Bell contract where he inevitably declines within two season. Ugh in advance. 

Here you go! Bloated contract and bloated Le'Veon.

gettyimages-458697552-e1550758290774.jpg

The Jets have frequently been mentioned as a potential suitor for free agent running back Le’Veon Bell, but there may be at least one reason the Jets...

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!