IGNORED

On a Launch Monitor - Open for Suggestions

DrMJG
Note: This thread is 2031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On Wednesday, I am going to spend 100 or so shots being tracked with a new TrueTrack at my DR (unlike TopGolf, no "beverage" service and it will just be me).  Like a kid in a candy store, there are so many things I can get checked, but, for a first time, what should I concentrate on?  I am not going to play a simulated round, I know that.  So I am thinking of ball speed,  direction, and distance for each club in my bag to set a base line for future work.  But I am open to suggestions...

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd suggest if you don't know your average distance you hit each club to make that a priority.   Other than that, I'd work on your priority piece from your instructor.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I am going to record AoA for my driver, and average distance for each club for sure as well as face to path so I can share this info with my instructor on Thursday.  I will also record ball speed.  I have never had any of this recorded so it should bring a lot of information to the fore.  What we DO with the information will come at next meeting.

Should I warm up a bit before I start recording info?

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I'd warm up first, and pay close attention to carry yardages per club. After that add what ever you want to learn from.

I say carry yardages because roll out after the carry can change from course to course. Even from hole to hole. Roll out is best factored after knowing the conditions for the shot at hand. . 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• iacas changed the title to On a Launch Monitor - Open for Suggestions

Whatever you do DON'T chase numbers.  I work with launch monitors at work and it's easy to try to hit it too hard, too high, too low...

Can't stress it enough, don't chase the numbers.

When I was fit for my driver, I didn't want to see the numbers, nor did I ask the fitter.  I kept hitting and let him do his job.  He showed me everything at the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/23/2018 at 5:54 PM, DrMJG said:

On Wednesday, I am going to spend 100 or so shots being tracked with a new TrueTrack at my DR (unlike TopGolf, no "beverage" service and it will just be me).  Like a kid in a candy store, there are so many things I can get checked, but, for a first time, what should I concentrate on?  I am not going to play a simulated round, I know that.  So I am thinking of ball speed,  direction, and distance for each club in my bag to set a base line for future work.  But I am open to suggestions...

If this is your first time on a launch monitor, I suggest using it for informational purposes rather than instructional. Don't try to change your swing or do anything out of the ordinary. Use the LM as a way to assess your current game.

Loosen up with a few balls, then hit maybe 3-5 shots with every club and get your baseline numbers, carry yardage, shot zones, etc. Get a good idea of what you average with your clubs. You should also map out your partial wedge shots. Write down or take pictures of your data so you can go back to it later.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Nice thing about this system, I can save ALL data to my phone and then to my computer.  So I will have a lot to look at.  My goal is information.  Just raw data this time.

I find it handy to have a bunch of links/notes to term definitions on my smartphone when using radar, while I'm in agreement with @Typhoon92, I really don't like looking at the numbers (by myself, more comfortable when an instructor is there) sometimes I see a number for something like swing direction and I'm like, what's swing direction again? Also having the tour averages table is handy for reference to see what the general window of values is, because I can't tell you off the top of my head what the spin rate range for a 7I should be (4000 ish? See, I need the table), plus knowing spin rates for different length short game shots. 

Also, I check into Trackman University once in a while to bone up on the terms and info, plus they usually update their curriculum once in a while and it's free, why not.  

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I find it handy to have a bunch of links/notes to term definitions on my smartphone when using radar, while I'm in agreement with @Typhoon92, I really don't like looking at the numbers (by myself, more comfortable when an instructor is there) sometimes I see a number for something like swing direction and I'm like, what's swing direction again? Also having the tour averages table is handy for reference to see what the general window of values is, because I can't tell you off the top of my head what the spin rate range for a 7I should be (4000 ish? See, I need the table), plus knowing spin rates for different length short game shots. 

Also, I check into Trackman University once in a while to bone up on the terms and info, plus they usually update their curriculum once in a while and it's free, why not.  

A good rule of thumb which makes it super simple is spin rate for irons is what the iron number is...7 iron =7000 rpm, 5 iron = 5000 rpm and so on.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Hit 6 shots with every club with a top tracker.  Lots of information I will be going over with my coach so I am not overwhelmed with too much information. I am mainly focused on average distance with each club as well as any specific/special  information gained with the tracker.  I seem, based on first read, to have no huge range gaps between clubs.  Appears to be about 10 - 12 yards between clubs.  So, I am basically happy that my club set appears to cover the range of what I need.  It was fun and I will update at some point.

Note: This thread is 2031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!