IGNORED

So, How Bad Do I Get Beat...?

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 10/28/2018 at 3:50 PM, David in FL said:

It was Blanton’s.

I outgrew Jim Beam about the time I got out of college and got a real job! ;-) 

Blanton’s is the best!

But ATM is probably in your future, its hard to beat two guys by yourself.  But good luck.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
5 hours ago, NM Golf said:

So if I am not mistaken you are getting the appropriate amount of strokes from the lower handicap as if you were playing him in a singles match. BUT he gets a partner that has the same handicap as you. 

GOOD LUCK!...don't forget your wallet

Reminds me of some good advice I received one time from a local bookie, "Don't bet drunk."

About 4 months ago I made a similiar bet with a 5 handicap and his friend who is about a 9. No strokes, just best ball, them against me. I was lucky to tie, lost the front, won the back, tied the 18 on a 12' birdie on hole 18. It's hard beating a partnership by yourself, especially if they ham and egg you.

No, I get 6 strokes...3 per side.  I think I’m probably still a few strokes light of what I really should get, but we’ll see.

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I like the idea of you being your own best-ball team. If you don't like a shot, hit another one from the same spot and it will usually be better (remember player B is nearly always better than player A, when both A and B are the same person)! Use that second ball as the point from which to hit your next shot. That's a lot more fair, and you may not even need 3 strokes a side, probably just 3-4 overall. :beer:

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

14 hours ago, David in FL said:

No, I get 6 strokes...3 per side.  I think I’m probably still a few strokes light of what I really should get, but we’ll see.

With 6 you might have a shot. Hopefully none of them get hot. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

With 6 you might have a shot. Hopefully none of them get hot. 

Yeah...There’s no doubt I have to play well, and all four of them have to play pretty mediocre.  The hardest thing in something like this is the mental aspect. It just grinds you down, because of four people, there’s always going to be at least one or two that are not only in the hole, but likely playing it fairly well. You never get a break where you can catch your breath.

Given the choice, I would bet against me!

Should be fun though…

In David's bag....

I survived...kind of.

Shot 79 gross.  Lost 2 ways on one bet and only 1 way on the other.  The stroke on 18 proved pivotal as i thought it might, with my 4 for 3 swinging 3 bets.

3 ways only cost me $30.  Honestly, a better result than I deserved given the silliness of the bet in the first place!  

:dance:

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

I survived...kind of.

Shot 79 gross.  Lost 2 ways on one bet and only 1 way on the other.  The stroke on 18 proved pivotal as i thought it might, with my 4 for 3 swinging 3 bets.

3 ways only cost me $30.  Honestly, a better result than I deserved given the silliness of the bet in the first place!  

Well played sir. Glad to see the damage was minimal...now don't go making any more bets like that lol!

12 hours ago, David in FL said:

I survived...kind of.

Well done. Do you think you played better or worse because of the added pressure in competition or was it pretty much a typical round, scoring-wise?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, billchao said:

Well done. Do you think you played better or worse because of the added pressure in competition or was it pretty much a typical round, scoring-wise?

Pretty typical.  

I was fortunate in that none of them played particularly well, or  it could’ve been ugly!

In David's bag....

4 hours ago, David in FL said:

Pretty typical.  

I was fortunate in that none of them played particularly well, or  it could’ve been ugly!

So you beat your handicap and none of them played particularly well and you lost $30. I think that says everything we need to know about the wiseness of the bet.

Well played, especially making the 4 on the last under the gun. Very good job keeping it to $30. I hope they bought you your steak dinner with that!

Well done! It could have been a lot worse obviously. Your score on the last hole had a huge influence, so good for you that you came through under pressure.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Note: This thread is 1995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!