IGNORED

Anyone Else Lose 2+ Clubs Distance w/Irons When Temps Are Below 50°?

MattM
Note: This thread is 1965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've found that it's a combination of factors that can add up to 2 to 4 clubs less distance. In cold weather the ball shrinks up and won't compress as much. Your muscles may be colder and less quick. You're wearing more clothing which restricts your swing. The cold air is dense and not rising, so no lift there. The course is probably wetter than in high Summer, so much less roll. 

I've had balls start to carry less far on HOT days that were cloudy and humid. In one round I crushed a Driver that didn't go as far as I thought it should, and wondered why. My Uncle, who was a country club pro before WWII, said it was probably because the air was getting really thick and sticky. There were thunderstorms on the way, and it was about as humid as it gets here! 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 clubs seems a bit extreme, but for sure you'll lose distance when it's cold. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

On 12/4/2018 at 8:34 PM, iacas said:

I will never play in cold weather at sea level... :whistle:

I find I lose about a club when I play when it's cold out. If the ground's frozen, though, all bets are off.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On 12/5/2018 at 6:58 AM, jamo said:

2 clubs seems a bit extreme, but for sure you'll lose distance when it's cold. 

That was my thought too!  

I was playing in our golf course's Golf Association that charges $20 per player for skins and scores (net and gross).  Well, my swing (I felt was really good that day) I was hitting fairways and every shot I tried to hit onto the greens (be it a 140 yard 8iron or a 150 6iron) was still coming up short!  The worst part is I knew I caught them clean and perfect and at least 6 approach shots were directly in line with the holes only to drop before making the green.  It was crazy!  I was even using a low compression Taylormade Project A and it never seemed to matter.  It was just amazing, and it cost me money!

10 hours ago, MattM said:

That was my thought too!  

I was playing in our golf course's Golf Association that charges $20 per player for skins and scores (net and gross).  Well, my swing (I felt was really good that day) I was hitting fairways and every shot I tried to hit onto the greens (be it a 140 yard 8iron or a 150 6iron) was still coming up short!  The worst part is I knew I caught them clean and perfect and at least 6 approach shots were directly in line with the holes only to drop before making the green.  It was crazy!  I was even using a low compression Taylormade Project A and it never seemed to matter.  It was just amazing, and it cost me money!

Well, welcome to the reality club! When it gets cold, the ball doesn't go as far! The air is more dense, the ball doesn't go as far. And let's not ignore the atmospheric phenomenon known as "subsidence". Even when high pressure is in control, that can just serve to shove the air down toward the ground! Even a breeze behind you won't add any distance! 

8 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Well, welcome to the reality club! When it gets cold, the ball doesn't go as far! The air is more dense, the ball doesn't go as far. And let's not ignore the atmospheric phenomenon known as "subsidence". Even when high pressure is in control, that can just serve to shove the air down toward the ground! Even a breeze behind you won't add any distance! 

I don't think anyone is arguing that there is no difference, but rather how much. My experience this fall, playing at around 40F, was about 1/2 to 1 club worth of distance.

Also, subsidence happens at any temperature because upper level air is almost always colder. Many inversions happen in the summer months.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 12/7/2018 at 7:28 AM, boogielicious said:

I don't think anyone is arguing that there is no difference, but rather how much. My experience this fall, playing at around 40F, was about 1/2 to 1 club worth of distance.

Also, subsidence happens at any temperature because upper level air is almost always colder. Many inversions happen in the summer months.

Good points. I think golfers with higher clubhead speeds are less affected by this phenomenon than those with slower speeds. Higher swing speeds can still compress the ball, while slower ones can't as much. 

And you're right, this happens even in hot weather. Many times I've noticed when playing under a "dome" of high pressure, and it's nice an warm, that sometimes a following wind doesn't proved that much of a boost. I've learned to look at the leaves on the trees. If you can't see the undersides of the leaves, that means the air is not rising, there's no lift. 

I moved to the coast from Alberta so I can play year round (almost)  Sea level golf, high humidity and cool in the winter has been very humbling but I still enjoy getting out and playing. 

Note: This thread is 1965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!