IGNORED

Faksakes' Experiment

Faksakes
Note: This thread is 1813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

WHAT!!!!!!!

Are you serious!!!!!!!!!

Dude, I hope your experiment works out, I am truly, TRULY routing for you, because anyone coming back from an injury deserves support and respect. I know it’s challenging.

But my question is: Who on Earth are you playing golf with? You REALLY haven’t met any adult who has improved their game through lessons???? I find that simply incredible! And frankly a little hard to believe.

Here’s my story. You can read it if you like, maybe it will help you.

I started playing golf in 1992. I was in my early 20’s and a descent athlete. I figured “How hard could it be?” I got some videos etc.. and basically played at a 28 handicap for about 4 years. Good enough to have fun.

Then, 1996 I got some good instruction an took my handicap from 28 to about 18 in one season.

After that I moved. So, I thought I could work on my game alone. I worked hard on my game. My handicap hung around 18 for years. Until my wife wanted to take up the game in 2002. When she did, she got an instructor, and I figured I’d get one, so we could take lessons the same time. He helped me get to a 10 handicap.

So, from 2002 until this past season, my wife and I have moved 3 times, both changed jobs at least once, added 2 kids to our family. During that time, my handicap has been anywhere from 10 to maybe 14 or so. Maybe higher, but I didn't always keep one over that period of time. 

Then, this past season and a half I’ve been working with an instructor I really like. This instructor has been different than others that I’ve worked with. He told me to get better, I’m going to need to make some real changes to my full swing. Previous instructors have helped me with tweaks and trying to keep what I had that “felt good” etc. This guy was like “You can get a little better that way, but to get much better, I’d suggest rebuilding your full swing.” I had the choice. I could continue with what I had, and we could tweak it and stick band-aids on it or let’s rebuild it to something more reliable. (read that as simpler).

It’s taken a while to get where I am right now, literally a season and a half. I continued to work with this guy and what I like about him is his blend of technical and feel. Personally, I like the technical, so he gives it to me. I like to know why something happens. It helps me to know why I’m making changes. There are some fundamentals that all good golf swings have. If yours doesn’t have those you are fighting an uphill battle.

I finished this season at 7.7 handicap. Which is the lowest mine handicap has ever been. I tell people I went from a 10 to 7.7, but that’s not even the whole truth. If I’m honest with myself my true starting handicap was probably higher. I’ve also totally ditched the snap-hook that used to haunt my game, always lurking in the shadows. I’m really looking forward to next season. I’m continuing to improve.

So, if you are still reading this, and I hope you are. What I’m getting at is over the last 26-27 years my game has grown in spurts. But every growth spurt has occurred under the tutelage of a good instructor/coach.

Are there bad coaches out there? Of course there are. But when you write that you have yet to meet one adult whose game has improved from getting lessons???? My jaw drops. I can name a dozen men and a half-dozen women whose game has DRAMATICALLY improved by getting lessons.

Again, I wish you nothing but the best on your journey. I’ve never had a serious back injury. Knee, ribs, shoulder, sure I played high school football in the 80’s so I’ve had my share. Take care of your back. Your heath is really important. Maybe consider yoga. I also ask that you seriously think about your position regarding getting lessons. There are some great coaches out there. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting many of them and working with a few of them on my own game.

Sorry about the long post.

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/18/2018 at 1:01 PM, Faksakes said:

As for no idea if I'd have done better with or without an instructor how about we use common sense? If I can get better in two or three years left handed after suffering a sever back injury, than I was at right handed after 20+ years with instruction then my theories will be proven true to my satisfaction. I think anyone with just a little bit of common sense would agree. That's my final word on that.

If you happen to get better left-handed without any instruction, more power to you, but it certainly wouldn't be common sense to infer that all instruction is worthless.  I've never had a real lesson and play pretty well.  But I certainly wouldn't consider my play a referendum on instruction being good or bad.  And maybe I would've gotten better with some good instruction, I just never wanted to take the time. 

But good luck in your endeavor, I don't think you will find too many allies on this site that will agree with you that all instruction is bad if you get to be a better golfer left-handed without instruction, bad back or no bad back.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

In my college years i trainned with couches twice a week and i managed to lower my handicap to 1.
Last year, after 6 years of no golf i reached +1 handicap trainning without a couch.

It´s better to train with a couch or not? Despite i will never train with a couch again, not even if i get paid for it (I just don´t want anybody tell me what to do), i have to say that it can´t hurt you and he could take you to another level with his knowledge.
Yes, i reach a lower handicap by myself but i think that in my college years without them i will never reach 1 handicap and maybe today with a couch I could be lower than +1.

If you get better than 14 index playing left handed, with a couch I´m sure you will get even better or at least get to 14 faster.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

In my college years i trainned with couches twice a week and i managed to lower my handicap to 1.
Last year, after 6 years of no golf i reached +1 handicap trainning without a couch.

It´s better to train with a couch or not? Despite i will never train with a couch again, not even if i get paid for it (I just don´t want anybody tell me what to do), i have to say that it can´t hurt you and he could take you to another level with his knowledge.
Yes, i reach a lower handicap by myself but i think that in my college years without them i will never reach 1 handicap and maybe today with a couch I could be lower than +1.

If you get better than 14 index playing left handed, with a couch I´m sure you will get even better or at least get to 14 faster.  

*coach.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

19 hours ago, Vinsk said:

*coach.

I trained with couches in college, mostly after too much to drink and too much illegal drugs.  Face down.

• Like 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I was going to do this experiment on my own as I was not aware of any coaches that taught the way I think it should be done. Every book I’ve ever read, every lesson I’ve taken, every video I’ve seen (until recently) was mechanics focused. If you learn great that way, then cool. That’s awesome. I struggled.

Then as I said in an earlier post, a poster here told me to check out a maniac named Robin Matthews Williams. I was surprised to see that there was in fact someone out there teaching what I had been thinking/talking about! He’s hilarious as well, although I’m sure many here would not agree haha. Point being, here was a guy espousing the same points of view I had, and he seems to be having success doing it. Very cool.

So I started breaking my “no instruction and no video” rule and checking out his vids. To be fair, again, I was ignorant that this idea was being taught. I should have assumed it was, as everything under the sun has been done. I just hadn’t been exposed to it.

So you see I’m not anti-instruction at all!  In looking at the comments in one video I saw a guy post about someone else teaching this way in my home city! No freaking way...but it was true.  What are the odds?

Ok, so update time:

I have been increasing my exercise routine and really focusing on building my bone density/fitness on one hand and then focusing on mobility with the other. I have a couple of mobility tools my physio recommended and they are awesome (foam roller, a couple of different balls). So, lots of balance stuff and stretching, some high intensity on the bike and fast walking. I vary things a lot and am using my “course management” ideas for fitness and weight loss as well. I may go into this further at some point if it’s effective.

A few days ago I went to a used golf store and bought my first two left handed clubs. I got a Ping Cadence Ketsch Traditional mallet putter. It’s a beauty. I also got a Ping Glide 56 degree sand wedge. Two year old model I think. The putter was like new, the wedge had a little wear but otherwise it’s in great shape. I was really excited getting these clubs, what a weird feeling buying left handed golf gear was though.

I got home and started messing around. So far my ideas have held up with putting on the carpet. I don’t think it’s going to be an issue having success at this aspect at all.

I’ve been taking some cuts in the yard and inside with the wedge, just focusing on what feels good for my back. I was able to get into a nice rhythm after about 10 half swings and the back was feeling great. No pain at all. Of course I was taking it easy but it was encouraging none the less.

Back to the instructor I found that teaches in alignment to my ideas in my home town. His name is Ron Sisson and after we went back and forth in the comments of one of his vids I emailed him my details. My injuries, my plan to learn left handed, did he want to work with me? Did he think we’d be a good fit? What would be the approach he would take? Etc.

We decided to talk on the phone about it and had a good conversation. We both think alike on many things.  I booked a LESSON with him for Jan. 7th. We are going to start out very gradually and go from there. We’ll start with chipping, small swings, putting etc. If we are on the same page and I think he can speed me along the learning curve then I’m all for it. If I don’t see value then I’ll move along. I have no idea what he thinks about chipping, pitching and putting and if his approach stays the same for those aspects of the game. I think it should, so hopefully he does as well, and if not I’ll just move it back to the long game with him. I feel this approach should be for every shot.  I’m excited to talk more with him and pick his brain.

Hope you all are having a great Christmas so far, I’m off until after the 25th so going to enjoy it and keep working on things. Thanks for reading and all the best!

Hey guys, I am unable to address all your questions as the mods probably don't want this thread going backwards. That's fine, it's their forum. Mods can you please at least post this so people know I'm not just ignoring them

On 12/22/2018 at 6:11 PM, Faksakes said:

I was going to do this experiment on my own as I was not aware of any coaches that taught the way I think it should be done. Every book I’ve ever read, every lesson I’ve taken, every video I’ve seen (until recently) was mechanics focused. If you learn great that way, then cool. That’s awesome. I struggled.

Then as I said in an earlier post, a poster here told me to check out a maniac named Robin Matthews Williams. I was surprised to see that there was in fact someone out there teaching what I had been thinking/talking about! He’s hilarious as well, although I’m sure many here would not agree haha. Point being, here was a guy espousing the same points of view I had, and he seems to be having success doing it. Very cool.

So I started breaking my “no instruction and no video” rule and checking out his vids. To be fair, again, I was ignorant that this idea was being taught. I should have assumed it was, as everything under the sun has been done. I just hadn’t been exposed to it.

So you see I’m not anti-instruction at all!  In looking at the comments in one video I saw a guy post about someone else teaching this way in my home city! No freaking way...but it was true.  What are the odds?

Ok, so update time:

I have been increasing my exercise routine and really focusing on building my bone density/fitness on one hand and then focusing on mobility with the other. I have a couple of mobility tools my physio recommended and they are awesome (foam roller, a couple of different balls). So, lots of balance stuff and stretching, some high intensity on the bike and fast walking. I vary things a lot and am using my “course management” ideas for fitness and weight loss as well. I may go into this further at some point if it’s effective.

A few days ago I went to a used golf store and bought my first two left handed clubs. I got a Ping Cadence Ketsch Traditional mallet putter. It’s a beauty. I also got a Ping Glide 56 degree sand wedge. Two year old model I think. The putter was like new, the wedge had a little wear but otherwise it’s in great shape. I was really excited getting these clubs, what a weird feeling buying left handed golf gear was though.

I got home and started messing around. So far my ideas have held up with putting on the carpet. I don’t think it’s going to be an issue having success at this aspect at all.

I’ve been taking some cuts in the yard and inside with the wedge, just focusing on what feels good for my back. I was able to get into a nice rhythm after about 10 half swings and the back was feeling great. No pain at all. Of course I was taking it easy but it was encouraging none the less.

Back to the instructor I found that teaches in alignment to my ideas in my home town. His name is Ron Sisson and after we went back and forth in the comments of one of his vids I emailed him my details. My injuries, my plan to learn left handed, did he want to work with me? Did he think we’d be a good fit? What would be the approach he would take? Etc.

We decided to talk on the phone about it and had a good conversation. We both think alike on many things.  I booked a LESSON with him for Jan. 7th. We are going to start out very gradually and go from there. We’ll start with chipping, small swings, putting etc. If we are on the same page and I think he can speed me along the learning curve then I’m all for it. If I don’t see value then I’ll move along. I have no idea what he thinks about chipping, pitching and putting and if his approach stays the same for those aspects of the game. I think it should, so hopefully he does as well, and if not I’ll just move it back to the long game with him. I feel this approach should be for every shot.  I’m excited to talk more with him and pick his brain.

Hope you all are having a great Christmas so far, I’m off until after the 25th so going to enjoy it and keep working on things. Thanks for reading and all the best!

Hey guys, I am unable to address all your questions as the mods probably don't want this thread going backwards. That's fine, it's their forum. Mods can you please at least post this so people know I'm not just ignoring them

Sorry to see you go. You received nothing but honest and straightforward opinions here along with some facts presented by experts. Life is a learning experiment. All of it. Appreciate what others have to offer and learn from other’s ideas whether you agree or not. Choosing the less traveled road can be rewarding, but don’t take it if you can’t accept where it may take you. Take care.

Cheers.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator
9 minutes ago, DogGolf92 said:

soooo just curious. but hows the left handed play coming along? 

He took his ball and went home.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!