11 posts / 661 viewsLast Reply

Bought a new to me shaft pull Hzrdus black 6.5. Cleaned it all up and went to install the adapter and noticed there was alot of pressure. Got it installed and tried it out and it was like a steel rod. My average  ss is 118 and I have a pretty aggressive transition. Pulled it off and tried to clean the tip out. Got 3.5 inches into the shaft and it was still solid?!? Did something change? Are shafts not hollow anymore? Dont want to dig further in and break something. 

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

8 hours ago, Foreright247 said:

Bought a new to me shaft pull Hzrdus black 6.5. Cleaned it all up and went to install the adapter and noticed there was alot of pressure. Got it installed and tried it out and it was like a steel rod. My average  ss is 118 and I have a pretty aggressive transition. Pulled it off and tried to clean the tip out. Got 3.5 inches into the shaft and it was still solid?!? Did something change? Are shafts not hollow anymore? Dont want to dig further in and break something. 

Sometimes they put a weight in the shaft tip to adjust swing weight.

Lead Tip Weights for Graphite Shafts

They have a hole in the middle of them to make installation of the shaft head or shaft adapter easier, but that gets filled with epoxy during assembly. You can drill it out with a small bit to install a new adapter.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Never heard of any shafts which are solid.
As Scott mentioned, tip weighting is common and anti-vibration cords are sometimes inserted throughout the entire shaft.

It sounds like epoxy that has extended up although 3.5 inches is a long way for the epoxy to squeeze up into the shaft. Unlikely a tip weight because you would be able to see it when you were assembling.

My guess based on what you described is possibly tungsten powder that was mixed with epoxy and installed down the shaft. This would make the shaft feel stiffer and deaden the feel as well. Although if this is the case you should eventually be able to drill the powder out.

Could also have been a tipped shaft to begin with which is why is plays stiff.

Problems with buying used shafts, never know who or how they were installed and treated. 

Definitely wasn't a tip weight. Got it figured out. Went in through the top and made it approx 6 in from the end. So I just got a longer bit and drilled it out. It was a gray powder that was coming out so I'm leaning toward the tungsten powder. Reinstalled the adapter no problem. Hopefully get to try it out tomorrow.  Thanks for the replys 

Tungsten powder is a good idea in theory, but never works out well in practice. Every time I used it, which has only been on a few occasions, I go back shortly thereafter and drill it back out. Glad you got it worked out.

I've only used tungsten powder in a putter. Most woods can be adjusted for swingweight now with head weights anyway.

13 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Where did u buy it? Golfwrx forum?  

Nah. I just like to tinker and do things myself. I’m an engineer. It’s in my genes.😜

On January 5, 2019 at 7:48 AM, boogielicious said:

Nah. I just like to tinker and do things myself. I’m an engineer. It’s in my genes.😜

I meant the OP, not u Boogie.  Sounded like something someone at wrx would do, then dump it and buy a $600 shaft...