cooke119

Grip from Regular to Mid Size

14 posts / 1681 viewsLast Reply

I had been using regular size grips because I never gave it that much thought and that is what came with the clubs when I purchased them. However, I was snooping around the internet and ended up on the Lamkin site, they have a simple program based on your hand measurements to tell  you what you should be using. Mine turned out to be Mid-Size vs Regular. I changed my woods and driver and what a difference, big improvement to feel and accuracy. Now most members on The Sand Trap probably knew this but maybe some don't. I am not recommending any grip, your choice, I went with Golf Pride. Now over time I will be changing out my irons and wedges as funds permit.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Yeah, measuring my hands was never a thought until I got fitted for my driver.  Frank did it, I needed standard +3 Wraps.  I never thought I was over standard.  Always wore a medium glove.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have long thin fingers and use standard +3 as well. I was fitted to that a while ago. I could go with midsize too as it does feel comfortable as well. 

Agree on importance of grip size. Years ago, I had oversized grips which the pro said would help with a hook. More recently, Mr. Arthritis seemed to dictate Jumbo's that I used for awhile. Got another (even older) set of irons and re-gripped those with Midsize, no wrap. Great for me, arthritis and all. Best, -Marv

16 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Yeah, measuring my hands was never a thought until I got fitted for my driver.  Frank did it, I needed standard +3 Wraps.  I never thought I was over standard.  Always wore a medium glove.

I use a Medium/Large glove but never thought to measure my hands for a grip. I have had three sets of lessons and not once did the "Pro" talk to me about grip size. I played yesterday with the new grips and pulls and fades were kept to a minimum which for me is saying something. I attribute this to a number of factors, I took the TST thread on "how to hit a driver" to heart and with the new grips had the best round I have ever played, (and it was 41* out with a little wind, i.e., cold).

Personally, I have always preferred a 1/8" oversize grip that allows more hand to grip contact for better power transfer and additional control.

I used to have all my irons fitted with Avon Chamois Jumbos. This seemed to help with my long fingers. I now go with Mid sized or extra tape.

Most fitters had a method to 'recommend' a grip size to me - (pretty much all said normal hold and don't let the fingernalis dig in else too small).  But pretty much all of them ended up commenting in the end that the fit had to be comfy for me was a lot more important whether or not it fit some standardized fitting chart guidelines.  (i.e., if fit the chart and it said standard, but if I was more comfy and hit better with jumbos, then jumbos it is - screw the chart).  Still, the generic guidance is a good place to start.

yeah...me too....I recently regripped the five iron I got at a thrift shop (Titleist 695MB). I went with a Lamkin Oversized and it feels a LOT better than the Tour Velvet that it came with. I have long, skinny fingers and to complicate things, my right hand has Duputryns Contracture (not so bad though). The rest of my irons are mid-sized.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:18 PM, cooke119 said:

I had been using regular size grips because I never gave it that much thought and that is what came with the clubs when I purchased them. However, I was snooping around the internet and ended up on the Lamkin site, they have a simple program based on your hand measurements to tell  you what you should be using. Mine turned out to be Mid-Size vs Regular. I changed my woods and driver and what a difference, big improvement to feel and accuracy. Now most members on The Sand Trap probably knew this but maybe some don't. I am not recommending any grip, your choice, I went with Golf Pride. Now over time I will be changing out my irons and wedges as funds permit.

Well I picked up some extra cash from a belated Christmas present and treated myself to new mid size grips on all my clubs, they feel great although I haven't hit them yet. Picked them up this morning and it is going down to 8* tonight, don't think I will be hitting anything for a while.

Arthritis in fingers has forced me to really look at many different grips and sizes. Most charts put me in either standard with extra wraps or midsize.Settled on two that are helpful. Golf Pride cp2 pro  standard  (thicker than most) and Superstroke comfort grips midsize. Consider comfort and relief more than sizing for each individual being most the important factor.

Edited by mpb1472

2 hours ago, mpb1472 said:

Arthritis in fingers has forced me to really look at many different grips and sizes. Most charts put me in either standard with extra wraps or midsize.Settled on two that are helpful. Golf Pride cp2 pro  standard  (thicker than most) and Superstroke comfort grips midsize. Consider comfort and relief more than sizing for each individual being most the important factor.

I actually got the mid size and had them double wrap the tape, feels really comfortable for my hands, can't wait to play.

Agree that CP2 Pro and Superstroke comfort grips are both great.  I felt that both give a confident grip but are comfortable, but ended up going with the Superstroke.

It warmed up enough to get to the range yesterday and I got to try the new grips on all my clubs. They feel much better then the regular grips I had on, hit them well. I'm still surprised by how much a change in the grip can impact your feel and confidence with a club. Wish I had done this earlier.