WarrenB

G10 Driver Cut Down

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

I broke the shaft in my G10 last summer and had a local shop reshaft it. I told him standard ! I realized yesterday that it was over 46” long. I cut it down to 44 1/2 “ and was worried that I’d lose distance. Through swing weight change. I just donated 20 shag balls to the river  and then I crossed the street to play one hole  course is closed. I actually gained yardage on the hole I was 20 yards past my usual spot. I suspect that I hit it on the screws!  Any thoughts?

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

4 hours ago, WarrenB said:

I broke the shaft in my G10 last summer and had a local shop reshaft it. I told him standard ! I realized yesterday that it was over 46” long. I cut it down to 44 1/2 “ and was worried that I’d lose distance. Through swing weight change. I just donated 20 shag balls to the river  and then I crossed the street to play one hole  course is closed. I actually gained yardage on the hole I was 20 yards past my usual spot. I suspect that I hit it on the screws!  Any thoughts?

Results sound good, if it works for you then go with it. I cut an old driver down once and couldn't feel the head anymore and it was unplayable for me, but then I need heavier shafts to begin with and losing the extra weight actually hurt my swing.

BTW stock length for the G10 driver is 45.75".

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My biggest swing flaw is swinging back too fast and never catching up. I have a fast strong tempo but I’m working on it. Lol

This topic comes up often. A shorter club is easier to make solid contact with. More control, better impact location. Whatever slight loss of head speed is negated by better contact thereby ball speed stays consistent and often higher on average.

I cut 3/4" off a Ping G driver, felt no difference, didn't help with my fade/slice either. What did help was following directions under Swing Thoughts, How to Hit a Driver. That plus mid size grips, versus regular, helped a lot. Now I'm pulling left, (slightly), have to work on that next. 

10 hours ago, WarrenB said:

I have large hands have used oversized grips for years with 3 tape wraps under. I can barely swing a regular grip it feels like a pencil 

Same for me. I've started to migrate to Mid-size up from standard +3, which is was fitted for. I also like the MCC +4 grip from Golf Pride because it feels better in my right hand.

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Same for me. I've started to migrate to Mid-size up from standard +3, which is was fitted for. I also like the MCC +4 grip from Golf Pride because it feels better in my right hand.

I've taken lessons, been fitted for clubs and nobody ever said anything about grip size. I used a Lamkin app on there web site one day, just for grins, and they said based on my hand size I needed a mid size grip. I changed my driver first, big difference in feel, I have now changed everything in my bag to Golf Pride mid size grips, playing much better. Can't wait for spring.

1 hour ago, cooke119 said:

I've taken lessons, been fitted for clubs and nobody ever said anything about grip size. I used a Lamkin app on there web site one day, just for grins, and they said based on my hand size I needed a mid size grip. I changed my driver first, big difference in feel, I have now changed everything in my bag to Golf Pride mid size grips, playing much better. Can't wait for spring.

I switched to the Dritac multi compound. They are 50 grams and I like that they were lighter potentially making my swing weight just a tad heavier. Very tacky and I swap them out 2 times a year

3 hours ago, WarrenB said:

I switched to the Dritac multi compound. They are 50 grams and I like that they were lighter potentially making my swing weight just a tad heavier. Very tacky and I swap them out 2 times a year

Wow, two times a year, you must play and go to the range a lot. Mine last for a year or two. Do you change them yourself or have them done? To do all my clubs it cost around $180.

42 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

Wow, two times a year, you must play and go to the range a lot. Mine last for a year or two. Do you change them yourself or have them done? To do all my clubs it cost around $180.

I have everything I need to do them it doesn’t take long and I like fresh grips. When I see them on sale or I have a little extra rat money I order and try to keep about 20 onhand

42 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

I live across the street from the course. I play nine  whenever the Weather is nice and we have a range plan $40 a year all the balls you can hit. 

Edited by WarrenB

7 hours ago, cooke119 said:

Choose grips for comfort.

5 hours ago, cooke119 said:

Last time I ordered I think it was 13 grips for $90 bucks. The dritac grips come in individual wrapped sealed packages so they don’t dry out. I have a set of 70s blades I’m thinking about re gripping just to see how I got them

17 hours ago, WarrenB said:

I have everything I need to do them it doesn’t take long and I like fresh grips. When I see them on sale or I have a little extra rat money I order and try to keep about 20 onhand

I live across the street from the course. I play nine  whenever the Weather is nice and we have a range plan $40 a year all the balls you can hit. 

Nice, you're a lucky man.