IGNORED

When to Replace a Faithful Gamer?

Note: This thread is 1866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay, so this year a lot of folks are calling "The year of the driver". I can see why. It seems every company has a really great driver offering this year. Anyhow, it got me thinking about how often I replace my clubs. Let's look at the past 10 years, and the past 20 years. 

Driver:

I've had 4 drivers in the past 10 years. (1 of those did not make it a full season before I returned to the old gamer, so really it's like 3.) 7 in the past 20 years.  So a driver lasts me on average about 3 seasons, maybe a little more. 

Irons:
1 set in the last 10 years. 2 sets over the last 20 years. Easy math, a set of irons last me 10 years. 

Fairway woods/hybrids: 

This one is tough to calculate because the mix constantly changes, but I'm estimating my average is pretty similar to the driver at about 3 seasons before replacement. I once had a Callaway X hybrid that was in my bag for like ever. But I've had other fairway woods that didn't even make it through the season. This is the area I "tinker" the most. 

Wedges:

They get replaced every other year. Every 2 years I buy a new pair of Vokeys. I nearly always buy a NEW set of the previous model year, if I'm lucky I can find a NEW set from 2 model years ago. The Vokeys don't change a whole lot, so I can basically seek out the same loft, grind and bounce combination and just buy 'em off the rack. I have to confess I don't experiment or get fitted or go outside my comfort zone at all here. I just replace 'em every 2 years. This year I went crazy and got black ones.

Putter:

I've only ever had 3 putters in my golfing life. So, a putter lasts me about 10 years. Although, I'm getting a new one this year and my old gamer is only about 5 years old. 

So, in summery Wedges last me 2 years, driver/woods/hybrids about 3 years, Irons and putters last me 10 seasons or more. 

Not sure what all that means, but I'm curious how often do you guys replace a reliable performer? 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to When to Replace a Faithful Gamer?

Personally, at this stage of my golf journey,  I don't change/retire any club, unless it becomes broken, or other wise unusable. I just don't believe that "newer" is that much better, for the price. Even when I was younger, I never felt the need to buy the latest, greatest, newest technology. 

I alway kept in mind, that at the professional ranks, the average tournament stroke improvement for the past 30-50 years, was not that great, considering all the new technology. As an amateur, I figured my improvement would be a lot less than the professionals. 

"Year of the Driver". That's a good one. Sounds like marketing hype. I am certainly not in the market for a driver. Never will be again. 

My irons, both sets, are several years old, but they still do the job I ask them to do. Way back when, I did my home work, and made long term quality my priority. 

Fairway woods are the same as my irons. Still very usable. 

My wedges I am still pleased with. Grooves are conforming.  I don't have a "spin the ball back" type of swing, but I can still make the ball check up a little. That, and I have a really good drop, and stop, flop shot when needed. 

I just retired my long term putter of 20+ years, about a year ago, due to unrepairable damage. My replacement putter I expect will be on my death bed with me. 

• Thumbs Up 2

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

When I was working and had cash to burn, (I'm now retired), I was a club hound. I have in my garage four sets of irons, five drivers, eleven putters, untold number of wedges and fairway woods. But I now have a full set of clubs that work for me so I wont be buying anything except balls and tees. If I feel like switching clubs I just go into my garage and put a "new" set together from what I have.

5 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Putter:

I've only ever had 3 putters in my golfing life. So, a putter lasts me about 10 years. Although, I'm getting a new one this year and my old gamer is only about 5 years old. 

Were you fitted for your gamer? Once I was fit for my Edel, I knew it was the last putter I'd ever buy. Ill send it in to be refinished in a few years, but as far as the specs and feel, I'm done changing putters.

Wedges last 18-24 months, drivers are a lot alike if you hit the sweet spot. My irons are usually every 5 years. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

4 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

Were you fitted for your gamer? Once I was fit for my Edel, I knew it was the last putter I'd ever buy. Ill send it in to be refinished in a few years, but as far as the specs and feel, I'm done changing putters.

Wedges last 18-24 months, drivers are a lot alike if you hit the sweet spot. My irons are usually every 5 years. 

I'm actually going to see @iacas day after tomorrow to be fitted for an Edel putter. I'm looking forward to it. I've never been fit for a putter before. 

I only replace a "faithful gamer" if it stops performing for some reason. Or betrays me.

That could include worn-out wedges, a cracked driver, a club that is significantly surpassed by newer equipment in terms of performance (actual, measurable performance on a launch monitor, not marketed hype).

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm actually going to see @iacas day after tomorrow to be fitted for an Edel putter. I'm looking forward to it. I've never been fit for a putter before. 

Erik fitted me for my putter. It was fun. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

On 2/26/2019 at 5:03 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

Did you do the fitting yesterday? How did it go?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator
12 hours ago, klineka said:

Did you do the fitting yesterday? How did it go?

I can't speak for @ChetlovesMer, but I had a good time! 😄

We got inside the hole from 18' (laser distance), and then fine-tuned to dead center with two lines on the bottom. Lie angle was 72°, loft 4°, mallet head, S0 hosel. 34".

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have only been back to the game less than 2 years and my set is relatively new. While I probably will have my irons from 6-pw for a few more seasons, my longer clubs are constantly in flux. I am struggling with my long irons and hybrids, so I have been mixing and matching trying to find ones I can hit consistently. But once I do find what works I plan to “freeze” my setup for as long as possible.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:07 PM, iacas said:

I can't speak for @ChetlovesMer, but I had a good time! 😄

We got inside the hole from 18' (laser distance), and then fine-tuned to dead center with two lines on the bottom. Lie angle was 72°, loft 4°, mallet head, S0 hosel. 34".

You forgot the blue dots. I'm also getting blue dots on the face... along with my initials. Naw. Seriously it was good. I learned a lot. Erik knows his stuff, and it's a good place to work on your game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, claypotsmoke said:

How do you know when a club needs to be replaced due to wear?

For a putter, unless it is really beat up, never. You may need to change the grip from time to time, but Tiger still has the same grip on his putter.

Irons, it is really the grooves that should be looked at. If they are in good shape, then the irons are still good.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

For a putter, unless it is really beat up, never. You may need to change the grip from time to time, but Tiger still has the same grip on his putter.

Irons, it is really the grooves that should be looked at. If they are in good shape, then the irons are still good.

Thanks.  What specifically about the grooves tell you they are worn?

2 hours ago, claypotsmoke said:

Thanks.  What specifically about the grooves tell you they are worn?

If they look smoothed over and rounded. If you wear through the chrome layer, they will brown too with certain irons. This one below is extreme, but you get the point.

181780A8-2679-43B4-8F28-3BADC333CEAB.jpeg

• Informative 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

If they look smoothed over and rounded. If you wear through the chrome layer, they will brown too with certain irons. This one below is extreme, but you get the point.

181780A8-2679-43B4-8F28-3BADC333CEAB.jpeg

I have a gun metal CG10 that is starting to show some wear, I’ll upload when I can grab it

6 hours ago, claypotsmoke said:

Here is my 50 degree.  This one still seems like it has hits left

E8046904-93A5-41CA-9408-6A7679B0B1E3.jpeg

Those grooves are fine. You could have the lie angle checked. Wedges take a lot of obuse. If it was upright from standard, that could cause left movement. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!