IGNORED

Pinehurst/Sandhills Buddy 50th Bithday Summer 2019

Kevlar10
Note: This thread is 1852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello fellow sandrrappers,

I’m planning a 50th birthday/Buddy Trip for August 22-25 2019.  We already have accommodations and rounds of golf at Talamore and Tobacco Road, but we’d like to have one or two more rounds on the agenda.  I was thinking about 7 Lakes and another easier or cheaper course to start the trip.  I had even thought of trying to get on a Pinehurst Resort course as a special surprise.  Although #2 and #8 are probably not in the budget.  Do you think we will be able to get on #5, #7, or #9 if we wait until 72 hours before?  If you can make any suggestions on other good course in the area, that would be appreciated as well.

As you are playing Tobacco Road....you must be a Stranz fan. Si I would suggest Tot Hill. I'd also say Dormie Club is very nice too.  Set up a time or two at those without paying upfront. Then try at Pinehurst and if doesn't work out you have times made. If it does cancel the others asap. Love Tobacco Road...enjoy.

11 hours ago, Kevlar10 said:

Hello fellow sandrrappers,

I’m planning a 50th birthday/Buddy Trip for August 22-25 2019.  We already have accommodations and rounds of golf at Talamore and Tobacco Road, but we’d like to have one or two more rounds on the agenda.  I was thinking about 7 Lakes and another easier or cheaper course to start the trip.  I had even thought of trying to get on a Pinehurst Resort course as a special surprise.  Although #2 and #8 are probably not in the budget.  Do you think we will be able to get on #5, #7, or #9 if we wait until 72 hours before?  If you can make any suggestions on other good course in the area, that would be appreciated as well.

If you are booking your Talamore stay through Talamore, MidSouth is a very course at a reasonable price.  Right next door to Talamore is Longleaf, not excessively difficult, and usually reasonably priced. The Whispering Pines courses are also very reasonable.

August is usually a pretty quiet time, so there is often good availability for tee times, as long as the US Kids tournament isn't in town that week.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've always liked Pine Needles and Mid-Pines when I've made this trip with buddies, not everyone plays 36 a day. But those of us who do, it is almost always on those. I prefer to finish at Mid-Pines and relax/recover in their bar.

Players play, tough players win!

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

If you are booking your Talamore stay through Talamore, MidSouth is a very course at a reasonable price.  Right next door to Talamore is Longleaf, not excessively difficult, and usually reasonably priced. The Whispering Pines courses are also very reasonable.

August is usually a pretty quiet time, so there is often good availability for tee times, as long as the US Kids tournament isn't in town that week.

Ever play the Raeford or Fayetteville courses?  Not that far away from Southern Pines. 

I wasn't playing when I was in that area, which I now regret.  But then, I did find a lot great roads for exploring on 2 wheels........

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

4 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I've always liked Pine Needles and Mid-Pines when I've made this trip with buddies, not everyone plays 36 a day. But those of us who do, it is almost always on those. I prefer to finish at Mid-Pines and relax/recover in their bar.

Agree with this, MidPines is my favorite around there.  My response was primarily to his question of easier and/or cheaper courses.  His thought of 7 Lakes is ok, Foxfire fits that category, or even Hyland Hills.  Mid Pines, Pine Needles, #7 or #9, those will be a little tougher and a bit more expensive.  

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

Thanks everybody for your feedback.  I think I've got the golf and accommodations properly lined up.  I found a great deal for two nights at the resort, two rounds (#4 and #9) and the cradle, kicking it off with Tobacco Road after a night there.  As we are already playing the Cradle, what are your thoughts about Thistle Dhu for another fun activity?   

Oh boy, one big wrinkle was added.  I was on the phone with the booking agent, ready to book and he asked if I had thought about the Manor Inn.  He said it will be opening after renovations before our travel dates.  Has anybody seen any updates on the renovations?  I have read some really bad reviews prior.  I guess new would have to mean better.  Any thoughts or insights?

Thistle Dhu is a lot of fun, find the time, it's free.  Haven't heard what exactly they are doing at the Manor Inn but I would assume it will come out nice.  If you're not really concerned about saving a little money I'd stick with the Carolina.

Rob Tyska

On 3/16/2019 at 11:05 AM, Kevlar10 said:

Oh boy, one big wrinkle was added.  I was on the phone with the booking agent, ready to book and he asked if I had thought about the Manor Inn.  He said it will be opening after renovations before our travel dates.  Has anybody seen any updates on the renovations?  I have read some really bad reviews prior.  I guess new would have to mean better.  Any thoughts or insights?

There are renderings on the website about the renovations.  No surprise that the window A/C units will be replaced by a modern HVAC system.

ManorRendering_mast_large.jpg

Located a short walk from the Carolina Hotel is the Manor Inn. Built in 1923, it features 42 guest rooms including suites and adjoining rooms.

Rob Tyska

• 2 weeks later...

As they say, the best laid plans often go awry.  We’re still going but our forth suddenly decided he can’t go.  Fortunately, the resort was very accommodating.  They’ve moved my reservations to the condos and are giving us the original cost pp, even though we are now 3.  We are still playing Tobacco Road and added Southern Pines, instead of Pine Needles.  I’ve read good and not so good reviews about SP.  what are everybody’s thoughts about Southern Pines?  I’m still pumped about the trip and can’t wait but the wagering won’t be as fun now that there’s only 3.  Also, does Pinehurst get a lot of singles? I’m hoping that they won’t match us up with singles because we’ll be pretty festive and may get a bit rambunctious on the course.

I think Southern Pines is a really good layout, kind of Donald Ross classic holes.  It lays gently on the land, if that makes sense, it doesn't look as if much dirt was moved to make the course.  Its never been in super shape, and I've read of its financial troubles, but I've also read of new management, so I hope conditions have improved.  And on your way from golf back to the hotel, stop at the Sly Fox for a pint or two, its right at SouthWest Broad and Morganton Road.

Dave

Southern Pines is a nice enough course, but it feels more like a municipal course then Pine Needles or Mid Pines.

Not sure of your dining tastes or budget by my favorite is Elliott's on Linden for something a bit different and always excellent.  He also owns the Sly Fox.

VSicROn5S4Sex2kcrxko_elliotts-on-liden-l

Contemporary restaurant for refined, imaginative dishes made with local ingredients & global wines.

Ironwood Cafe is a great choice if your schedule allows you to get there for their early bird specials (last page).

http://www.ironwoodpinehurst.com/downloads/PDF/menus/spring_menu.pdf

Edited by RemyM
  • Like 1

Rob Tyska

Sounds like Southeen Pines will be a good course between TR and Pinehurst.  Sly Fox also sounds like a good reco, but we might play SP in the morning and play #5 or #7 in the afternoon.  I got an email for an additional discount to add a course other than #2 or #8, so we may be playing 3 rounds at the resort if we can fit it in.  Eliot’s might not be a good fit if you knew the crew that will be going.  Are there any more relaxed places in Pinehurst.  We’re going to Grille 1895 on Saturday and it will be tough enough to get them in line with that.

I would say Elliot's is more relaxed then 1895 Grille.   The Tavern and Ryder Cup Lounge at the Resort are more casual.  In the Village there is Drum & Quill and Dugans

Rob Tyska

On 3/30/2019 at 12:18 PM, Kevlar10 said:

Are there any more relaxed places in Pinehurst.  

If you just want some good beers, Southern Pines Brewing Company is solid and a relaxed atmosphere. They usually have a food truck parked outside as well, and you can also bring in your own food like pizza or something.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Note: This thread is 1852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!