IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

I seriously doubt whether Mr. Nicklaus gives a damn. I don't think he's looking for any advantage in this contest.

I wish I could agree with you but his record and his statements say otherwise.  And it makes me sad because Jack was my first golf hero.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I seriously doubt whether Mr. Nicklaus gives a damn. I don't think he's looking for any advantage in this contest.

Jack Nicklaus's place in sporting history is secure and deservedly earned. He's coming up on 75; the great elder statesman of golf - loved and revered - again, deservedly so.

No record stands for ever - it's like when Bannister broke the 4 minute mile - he must have known that very same day that his record would eventually be smashed.

Even if Tiger Woods does get to 19, what's to say some Chinese wunderkind won't show up a decade from now and win 20 majors by his 30th birthday? And even if that happens, it won't diminish Tiger's achievements as a golfer (nor anyone else's).

I think Jack does care, if he didn't he would have never suggested the metric for the greatest golfer be changed.  I don't fault him for caring, we all want to leave a legacy when we're gone and given all of Jack's accomplishments he should be discussed as one of, if not the greatest golfers to ever play.

I agree most athletes acknowledge their records may eventually get broken but that doesn't reduce the importance or pride one has in holding the record.

The discussion is who's the greatest, I think we all agree both Tiger and Jack have had amazing careers so there's no intent to diminish either of their careers.

Joe Paradiso

Ok then, Jack's better, or maybe Tiger is. The truth is they were all good and there's no measurable way to know if any one was better than the other, short of using a time machine.

Any way it's golf, you can be king of the world on Thursday and blow darts on Sunday.

I'm done on this subject.

In the bag: TaylorMade R5 Duel driver (44", Senior-flex), Namura 19* 3 Hybrid, Stiff, Cougar X-CAT 26* 5 hybrid, Wilson K-28 irons 6-PW, Wilson Harmonized Gap (52) and Sand (55) Wedges, Blade Runner II putter.

Jack Nicklaus's place in sporting history is secure and deservedly earned. He's coming up on 75; the great elder statesman of golf - loved and revered - again, deservedly so.

No record stands for ever - it's like when Bannister broke the 4 minute mile - he must have known that very same day that his record would eventually be smashed.

Even if Tiger Woods does get to 19, what's to say some Chinese wunderkind won't show up a decade from now and win 20 majors by his 30th birthday? And even if that happens, it won't diminish Tiger's achievements as a golfer (nor anyone else's).

+1  Very well said.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

• 2 weeks later...

http://thesandtrap.com/b/thrash_talk/tiger_vs_jack

More data in Tiger's favor of being the greatest of all time.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

http://thesandtrap.com/b/thrash_talk/tiger_vs_jack

More data in Tiger's favor of being the greatest of all time.

So if McIlroy wins say 10 majors 50-60 tourneys worldwide, would he then be the GOAT?

There was and always be a Mr. Hogan, Mr. Nelson, Mr. Jones, Mr. Palmer, Mr. Player, etc. There will never be a Mr.Tiger,there are are a lot more reasons than one.                                                                                                                                                               sweeper1

Yeah, you're right. They'll probably call him Mr. Woods. :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

So if McIlroy wins say 10 majors 50-60 tourneys worldwide, would he then be the GOAT?

Comment on the article itself, please.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There was and always be a Mr. Hogan, Mr. Nelson, Mr. Jones, Mr. Palmer, Mr. Player, etc. There will never be a Mr.Tiger,there are are a lot more reasons than one.

sweeper1

Don't count on it.

There was and always be a Mr. Hogan, Mr. Nelson, Mr. Jones, Mr. Palmer, Mr. Player, etc. There will never be a Mr.Tiger,there are are a lot more reasons than one.

sweeper1

:doh:

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

How about this argument; The greatest golfer of all time has not been born yet.................. :surrender:

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Very possibly.  IMO you have to look at a lot of things, things on which he has made a very good start.  Which is kind of what the Tiger supporters have been saying all along, vis a vis Jack. (to bring it back on topic)

Rich - in name only

No. Not in my book. Jack would still be the GOAT (assuming Tiger fails to break his record of 18 majors).

• Administrator

At this point I've seen enough posts that reduce what I think is a complex question to the simple "18 > 14" that I owe @turtleback an apology: I was wrong about the number of people who simply compare two numbers (and sometimes, inexplicably to me, the number 19).

You were right, and I was wrong. A lot of people seem to reduce this to "18 > 14."

P.S. Did you read this , @turtleback ?

P.P.S. Edited to hopefully be less snarky. I've probably failed, but I tried. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

At this point I've seen enough posts that reduce what I think is a complex question to the simple "18 > 14" that I owe @turtleback an apology: I was wrong about the number of people who simply compare two numbers (and sometimes, inexplicably to me, the number 19).

You were right, and I was wrong. A lot of people seem to reduce this to "18 > 14."

P.S. Did you read this, @turtleback?

P.P.S. Edited to hopefully be less snarky. I've probably failed, but I tried.

Yes I did and I appreciate it.  It almost HAS to come down to that for them because there is really nothing else on that side of the question.

Rich - in name only

At this point I've seen enough posts that reduce what I think is a complex question to the simple "18 > 14" that I owe @turtleback an apology: I was wrong about the number of people who simply compare two numbers (and sometimes, inexplicably to me, the number 19). You were right, and I was wrong. A lot of people seem to reduce this to "18 > 14." P.S. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/b/thrash_talk/tiger_vs_jack]Did you read this[/URL], @turtleback ? P.P.S. Edited to hopefully be less snarky. I've probably failed, but I tried. :-)

Well now it's just outright cheeky.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint: