IGNORED

Keeping the clubs in the trunk all the time? Bad Idea?

Note: This thread is 5133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Store them indoors at all times! I live in wisconsin and wouldn't DARE leave them outside on a cold winter night ... i'd let it slide on a summer night or two but that's about it

I don't know anyone that I play with who keeps their clubs indoors. No one has ever had shaft issues. I don't think indoor vs. outdoor is much of an issue (at least not here in Texas where our temps go from 20F-110F, rather than Wisconsin which is lower). The trunk or inside a vehicle is different because the temps can get so much higher, but I still don't think it's a problem for shafts that have been properly installed.

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

This seems crazy to me. Been golfing for 15 years and always hav eclubs in car. I am more concerned about being prepared to play an emergency 9 than i am about the club head flying off. This is not an issue. I guarantee it. Poor installation.
Driver: Cobra ZL 3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher War Club: Burner Titanium Raylor 21degree Hybrid: Bobby Jones 24 4-PW: Ping i3's Wedges:Mizuno MP T-10 White Satin 52, 56, 60 Putter: 15 year old Odyssey Rossi Blade. Ball: Bridgestone e5 Swing Oil: Grey Goose, always in the bag.

i take mine out in the winter... other than that, they are in there!! Like RAGU

+1. It's easier to play or practice on the spur of the moment without having to run home and load my clubs into the car.

To the OP, the guy did a shotty job. A club shouldn't separate from leaving it in the trunk for 3 months, in the spring. In fact, there is nothing wrong with leaving clubs in the trunk of the car at all. My clubs are always in the trunk and I have never had a problem. I used to take them out over the winter but have been lazy the last few years and left them there. I live in southern Missouri where it can be below zero in the winter and in the 90s and 100s with humidity over the summer.

If you need proof, I have had the my 3-wood for about 15 years and have never had a problem. Hard to remember it being new, but it is still good as new. So for the better part of 15 years a club has been in the trunk, in all sorts of conditions, and their has never been a problem. Magic club? Perhaps. Old golfers myth that doens't hold water? More likely.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I t drives me nuts when people try to cover their mistakes with lame reasons....they basically are insulting your intelligence. Your clubs are FINE in the car. The only thing that COULD happen is the grips may dry out sooner, but most people regrip at the very least every other year anyway. As others have stated, keep them in the car, they're fine. The only thing I do is keep my iron covers on the Mizzy's when they're in the car so they don't get excess bag chatter. Think about it this way...most people keep clubs in the garage when they're not in the car. I live in Maine and the garage gets insanely cold.....and hot and humid. What's the difference.

Of course there are those people that keep them in the living room or bedroom....but they're probably single, never had a girlfriend and have bigger issues than a bad epoxy job!

What's in my bag:
Superquad Driver
19* and 22* Rescue Hybrids
4-PW MP 57 Irons
CG14 52* Gap Wedge CG12 56* SW CG12 60* Lob Wedge CO3-hI push them around with my Linksmen X-7 cart.

Well, during my last round the head came off of my recently (3 months ago) reshafted 60 degree wedge. I called the guy that reshafted it for me and told him what happened, and he said it was because I kept my clubs in my trunk all the time, and the heat gets to them........ I practice 3 times a week and play 2-3 times a week, so keeping them in my car makes sense to me. I'm always ready to hit the range during lunch, or play a quick round after work.

He's full of it. I've kept mine in the car for more than 20 years and have never had a clubhead come off or suffered grip or other damage from it. Here in Denver we experience temperatures from 105° in midsummer to -25° in midwinter, and I've seen no harm to my clubs at all.

Golf epoxy breaks down at around 250º.

And the inside of your car never gets nearly that hot. Not even close. If it did, a cup of water would boil.... ain't gonna happen.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My clubs are in the trunk of my car at all times except for the following three situations:

I played that day, in which case they are taken out for a cleaning afterwards and stored in the garage over night, then right back in the car the next morning.

The wife is taking the car, in which case I take them out because I do not trust her to lock the car.

It is winter and there is no chance I will play.

Other than that, they are in my car, day and night... because I need them for a late notice 9 or a practice session during a long lunch...

Grips will dry out, but they are changed at a minimum of every spring anyway.

Josh

WITB
Driver: Ping G425 - Aldila Rogue White
3 Wood: Nike SQ Dymo 
Hybrid: TaylorMade SLDR
Irons: Ping i525 Retro Spec
Wedges: Cleveland 588 (52,56,60)
Putter: Never Compromise Gamble Limited Custom

Balls: Titleist ProV1

Three reasons to take clubs out of the trunk:
* Going into area of city with high incidence of auto break-ins
* Summer heat - drying out the rubber of the grips
* Summer heat - heading up golf balls

Years ago the idea was that trunk heat damaged golf balls. Anyone know how big a problem this is?

At work I park in an open-air, covered garage building. The temperature rarely gets above 80 degrees, even during the summer.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I never take my clubs out of the trunk unless they are going out to play.
Never EVER had an issue with heads flying off, grips getting wrecked, or balls turning into a square.

Wives tales.

Go ahead and leave 'em in the car if it's more convenient for you. Won't hurt anything.

:Acer: XF Leggera Driver 10.5* True Ace Death Stick 56g Shaft

Quick Strike Q4M 21* Hybrid and Q4U 24* Hybrid with  Platinum 60 Shafts

685 OS Milled Irons 5-PW with  Platinum 60 Shafts

:Killer Bee: NCW Wedges 52* 56* 60*

:TearDrop: Putter

I always leave mine in the trunk as well. I do have the benefit of owning a hatchback though. On a hot day i just roll down the windows a bit and open the backseat. The air will flow through the car pretty good.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Count me in for leaving them in my trunk as well... I very rarely ever take my clubs out!
In my bag
Machspeed 9.5 Stiff
CrossBax 5 wood
Idea Tech 19* Hybrid
a3 22* Hybrid Slingshot 4D Graphite 5-AW Burner XD 56* & 60* Wedge Callie Putter e6+Home Course: www.dogwoodtracegolf.com

I do not leave my clubs in the trunk, unless I am playing two days in a row or something to that effect. Probably a little OCD on my part but in the summer is gets to hot and would probably ruin my rangefinders and in the winter it gets to cold and would probably crack grips. After a round of golf, I just bring them in the house, my wife is cool with having a set of clubs setting in the great room from April until October!

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

What a crock...you have to heat the heads up with a torch or heat gun to get them to come loose, 110* or so in the car isn't going to effect the epoxy.

I leave mine in my car because I don't want to get caught without them if an opportunity to play comes up. I think the only issue is that the grips will get slick more often from the heat cycling, but I can live with that versus having to load them in/out of my car all the time.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

I keep mine in the trunk partly because there's no storage space in my apartment that's safe from my 3-year old and partly because that way I don't leave evidence if I sneak off to play golf when I should be at work.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I guess I should clarify that I take mine out also because my Toyota matrix is a hatchback and my clubs are easily visible if anyone walks by. Since I'm at college during the week, I in no way trust the other people on this campus to not break in to my car to steal clubs when they'll steal an iPod, stereo, cd cases...etc lol, especially when some people just see a taylormade headcover and think expensive (even if it were like 10 years old). So I just take them in to my dorm room for the week.

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

Mine only come out when I park at the airport. For theft reasons.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Note: This thread is 5133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!