IGNORED

Great at the range, bad on the course Any Suggestions?

Note: This thread is 3363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a high handicapper working on getting a good swing, on plane etc.

I think this is common but most of the time I hit the ball very well at the range.

I often get the sweet spot, good straight distance, trying to keep it on plane.

I play a course 2x a week and I do hit some good shots but I hit many BAD shots.

BAD like my 5 wood rolls 20 feet where the previous day at the range

I was consistently hitting it dead straight and 175 yards.

I know there is a difference between range and course but this seems extreme.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I think a lot of this can be mental There is so much more riding on a shot at the course than at the range that more swing thoughts get in your head. I would suggest playing a round in your head at the range (even changing up clubs after different shots). I, on the other hand have had it the other way lately. I've sucked at the range but several of my last few rounds have been my best ever. This game is strange!

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Don't know if this is your problem, but part of the mental game for me is not tightening up on the course.  I'll take a couple nice smooth practice swings like my good ones at the range, then on a bad day I'll step over the ball, tighten up, and overswing.  I don't top the ball 20 yards much anymore, but I get the equivalent for my HC.

One thing that helped me is playing a round or two where I decide what club to use, then club one club up every single full shot, all day.  This really forces you to swing loose and 80% all day.  You'll find at the start of the round that when you think you're swinging loose and 3/4, the ball will often go the same distance as on a "normal" swing.  But stick with it and force yourself to swing super super mellow for an entire round.  Really helped my accuracy and consistency.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had a similar problem, was great at the range, inconsistent on the course.  I hit the ball properly at the range, but on the course, I hit mostly fat.  I couldn't figure out why until today.  My backswing on the range is more relaxed and I make a full shoulder turn, but on the course I wasn't making a full shoulder turn so my arms weren't in the right position for my downswing making the bottom of my swing arch in front of the ball.

I focused on the full shoulder turn for the remaining holes and didn't hit the ball fat once, though I noticed something is going on with my left leg position that will sometimes cause me to hit the ball thin.  I can feel it's my left leg but need to spend more time figuring it out or have my instructor watch or video me.  Hope it helps.

Joe Paradiso

I think we all struggle(d) with this. When I joined a club about 6 weeks ago, I was stripping it on the range then was very inconsistent on the course. Just not the same type of contact as on the range. Not a great introduction to the course. It was slightly embarrassing. Towards the end of the round I started swinging more freely and then went to the range afterwards to see if I could figure out the difference.

For me the big breakthrough was that on the range, I would rotate my head a little to the right (looking behind the ball). It just keeps my body nicely centered on the backswing, and thus really helping contact. Whereas if I keep my head straight (keeping too focused on the ball), I get a slight reverse pivot which causes very inconsistent contact. Needless to say, on the course I would be so focused on the ball that I would be in a not so great position at the top.

Once I figured that out, my ball striking has improved immensely on the course. Before I never was able to take the driver out, but with that adjustment I happily take it out.

Good luck!

When you are on the range, do you  simulate a round of golf or do you hit the same club until you get consistant with it? I find it easy on the range to get grooved in with one club by hitting it a dozen times in a row. This is good if you are working on one particular thing but it doesn't simulate the golf game. I found doing things like switch clubs after every shot (driver, hybrid, 7 iron  or 3w, 6iron) helped out.

Thanks for the all the tips.

At the range I usually hit 1 club for 20 balls as I'm currently working on my swing and staying on plane.

I'm just trying to get a smooth proper swing so I'm focusing on that.

Its true that once I get in a groove, I hit a number of ball very well.

I'll simulate a round at the range and video tape myself on the course.

Just to be clear there isn't anything wrong with practicing the same shot over and over again. It is probably the best way to make a modification (something like you want to improve your release) but you have to remember that it isn't a very good simulation of the golf game experience.

Originally Posted by Lizzyboy

Thanks for the all the tips.

At the range I usually hit 1 club for 20 balls as I'm currently working on my swing and staying on plane.

I'm just trying to get a smooth proper swing so I'm focusing on that.

Its true that once I get in a groove, I hit a number of ball very well.

I'll simulate a round at the range and video tape myself on the course.

• 3 years later...

I'm surprised this thread gave out so quickly I can totally relate. But for me it's just the driver.I'll buy a large bucket, hit everything fine including the driver. I'll usually do this on Saturday.

Sunday at the course. Tee up #1. I feel like I have no idea what will happen. If I'm lucky it will be a reasonable drive on the fairway. But sometimes it just dribbles. I hate that.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Range and the course are too different to compare, especially if you hit off of mats on the range.  People have a tendency to remember the 2 - 3 good shots they hit out of 10 on the range with the same club.

I see guys hitting a bunch of shots with their driver, less than half are decent, rest are hooks or slices and claim they are hitting their driver well.  Too bad you don't get 10 attempts from the tee box to pick the one you want to put in play.

The range won't teach you how to handle different lies, rough, sand, etc.  You can simulate a round of golf by alternating clubs but it's still not the same as playing on a course.

Joe Paradiso

The biggest difference is there is a significantly less pressure on the range, so you tend to have a more relaxed swing. Even pros are prone to having a great range sessions and a terrible on course swing. Just look at Tiger. His swing on the range is beauty but when he's on the course, all sorts of problem creeps in.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

The biggest difference is there is a significantly less pressure on the range, so you tend to have a more relaxed swing. Even pros are prone to having a great range sessions and a terrible on course swing. Just look at Tiger. His swing on the range is beauty but when he's on the course, all sorts of problem creeps in.

Exactly @iacas has said in other threads that one of Tigers problems is he isn't able to take his range swing on the course.

Joe Paradiso

Range and the course are too different to compare, especially if you hit off of mats on the range.  People have a tendency to remember the 2 - 3 good shots they hit out of 10 on the range with the same club.

I see guys hitting a bunch of shots with their driver, less than half are decent, rest are hooks or slices and claim they are hitting their driver well.  Too bad you don't get 10 attempts from the tee box to pick the one you want to put in play.

The range won't teach you how to handle different lies, rough, sand, etc.  You can simulate a round of golf by alternating clubs but it's still not the same as playing on a course. W

Exactly @iacas has said in other threads that one of Tigers problems is he isn't able to take his range swing on the course.

Good points. Plus the one other big factor. You get ONE (driver/tee) shot at the course. How often is your 1st of say 10 drive session at the range the really good one?  For me they get better as I get into them.

So what's the solution? For a while I was practicing at 9 hole course (not executive) instead of hitting the range. San Diego fortunately is loaded with cheap golf opportunities and this doesn't cost much more then a large bucket, i.e. $15. Maybe I should stick to this routine and very limited range work.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Good points. Plus the one other big factor. You get ONE (driver/tee) shot at the course. How often is your 1st of say 10 drive session at the range the really good one?  For me they get better as I get into them.

So what's the solution? For a while I was practicing at 9 hole course (not executive) instead of hitting the range. San Diego fortunately is loaded with cheap golf opportunities and this doesn't cost much more then a large bucket, i.e. $15. Maybe I should stick to this routine and very limited range work.

What has worked for me is to spend more time on the course playing but I use my practice sessions to work on specific things in my swing.  When I go to the range I don't just rush through a bucket of balls.  I use a SkyPro and video to look at the mechanics with my instructor and try to work on things that I'm doing wrong.

For example, the last few weeks I've been focused on my take away because I was taking the club away to the outside which was causing an out to in swing which caused most of my shots to fade or slice depending on how far out I started.  It felt like I was going straight back but in the video it clearly shows the club going out first.

I'm also trying to focus on "dragging" the club back along the ground on my take away versus lifting it up too quickly.

Joe Paradiso

You may care to take a 2x4 poece of wood about 36" long to the range. Its for your feet. The range tee is flat. Thats good, but the course is not. If you put the wood under your rear foot, your swingpoints will change a little like you are on a unlevel lie. Put the board under both heels, or the toes, and more angles change as they might on a course. Its all I have to suggest.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

when on the range do you pick a target to hit to or are you just trying to hit it straight.

I can Highly recommend you to pick targets when on the range. because on the course a straight shot

can end up in trouble.

It also lets you focus more on the shot

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Remain positive...

Keep improving the swing so you hone a good one.

Keep playing 2X per week.

Playing helps you focus on inconsistencies, and gives you clues on future work.

For example, I've honed a swing with an instructor for 3 months now, and began playing again. Still have plenty of work to do with my instructor, but he says "Go play."

The last few times I've played, for the first 6 holes, I've been about 2 over, and then the roller coaster arrives ... tempo gets out of whack, arms get tight, technical aspects of the swing feel not quite right ... and I get a series of bad holes ... bogey, double, bogey, followed by a few pars, maybe a birdie, and then more + holes...

It's a game of endurance ... see if you can go deeper into the round with better scoring.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

For me I find it helps to not rush on the range.  Get a bucket.  Visualize a hole you know well.  Play it like you would that hole.  Driver then from how that shot goes imagine what you would need next.  Wedge at a new target and if you hit it.  Pick a new hole you like.  Forces you to play different clubs and not just pump the same one 10 times.  Also find it alot more fun then just whacking balls.

Note: This thread is 3363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!