IGNORED

cannot fix my slice!!

Note: This thread is 4378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hi ive been playing golf for about 3 years now got my handicap down to 18 but no matter what i cant shake slicing my driver and low irons.

i hit my wedges and upto my 7 iron straight with no problems i also hit my 3 wood and a 3 iron hybrid straight with no problems off the tee and fairway.

but when it comes to hitting my 4,5,6 iron and driver i tend to slice them 8 times out of 10, especially the driver and my drives go unbelievable high.

iv tried literally everything from grips to stance i even change my swing flattening it out incase it was to steep and i just cant shake it.

its got to the point now where as soon as ive got a drive i dread it and tense up, im aiming left all the time and even a good straight drive for me is a fade 30yds from where im aiming.

the rest of my game is pretty solid if i can fix this slice problem il probably shave 6-8 shots of my handicap as most of the courses i play are narrow fairways with trees either side so i get into alot of trouble.

if any one has any siggestions at all i would greatly appreciate it.

thank you.

VRS Covert 8.5°

VRS 3 Wood

VRS Covert 3i hybrid

VR pro cavity irons 4-9

46°,52°,56°,60°

Method 001 putter

Best advice, film your swing and show it in the members swing section. We can all guess, but a video would really help.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My slice was legendary - then I studied the youtube video's on Stack & Tilt.    Totally 100% cured my slice - problem is that my miss is now a hook - not sure what is worse - but one thing is clear - S&T;  created a dramatic ball flight change in my case.    Which I could tell you what part of the swing dynamics caused the change - whatever it is, I'd like to do a little less of it to minimize my draw...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

The club face is wide open if you are slicing like that.  Take the driver and take a nice easy swing.  Keep changing where your top hand is pointing until you hit a hook, rotate it so the back of your hand is moving towards the ground.  If it feels like your top hand is pointing straight at the ground to get that ball flight so be it.  Once you understand that you will get a feel for where the club face is pointing and can start to make adjustments.  In one range session you should be able to curve the ball the other way which is a lesson all in of itself and it will give you confidence that you or your clubs are not defective.

Take lessons immediately after that.  A golf swing is not intuitive.

exactly the same boat as you,...

check my thread in this section called "releasing the club,......confused"

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

As already stated. When you are slicing your clubface is open at impact and probably before as well. So start thinking about why that's the case.

Videos, photos and mirrors can help you alot to spot your own mistakes. Very common are a too steap swingplane and a bad setup including grip. But these are just wild guesses without actually seeing your swing.

Tip of the day: Try hooking some balls for half an hour :)

• Administrator

Originally Posted by goodatgolf

As already stated. When you are slicing your clubface is open at impact and probably before as well.

That's unlikely to be the case. Most likely his path is pointing at or LEFT of the target, but his path is too far to the left.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

As a few have said, post up a video if you can as that would be the easiest way to help offer advice. The other very important question which has helped me in solving my slice which I finally fixed as far as I can tell last week is the ball flight. Does it start out straight and then take a hard right turn, does it start a little left and then curve, or does it start a little right and go further to the right. If it starts out straight like it was for me, it would go straight for about 180 yards and then would turn sharp right your face is square to your target but your swing is out to in. At first when I didn't understand how the swing worked I figured it was a face issue only, not face in relation to swing path and was doing everything I could to fix my face angle which then resulted in even worse shots.

I am fighting a horrible slice myself..   I have looked at the ball flight laws diagrams and it is a push-fade on the diagram but to me, it should be described as a push-slice, because it starts right and then makes a hard right at about 160yds- 180yds,..    I was a the driving range today and tried a whole slew of things to change it, from grip changes to stance changes to moving the ball further forward in my stance to really slowing my tempo down.   The best I got was a HUGE fade a couple of times.  Nothing straight and nothing really playable.  I did try a couple of swings where I stopped the swing right at the impact point and my face was way too open.  I even tried closing the face at address, hoping that would at least get me a playable ball but even those were pushes well to the right.   Watching at impact, even that way, I could see the face was open.

I am thinking I am not getting my hands to release at impact and roll the face closed.   Does that sound plausible?

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Are you sure its a push slice? Could you be aiming way right? Because if you have a push slice, all you need is more closed clubface. If you have a pull slice, then your going to need a new swing path.

you could be getting the ball way stuck behind you as well. This causes a push, but with an open clubface you can see a push slice.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Are you sure its a push slice? Could you be aiming way right? Because if you have a push slice, all you need is more closed clubface. If you have a pull slice, then your going to need a new swing path.

you could be getting the ball way stuck behind you as well. This causes a push, but with an open clubface you can see a push slice.

I am positive it is a push-slice.   The ball is headed right of the target from the point it leaves the tee..  A man standing about 15 yds in front and 5yds to my right of the tee would end up being hit in the chest with the ball.  I can see the clubface is open as it makes impact with the ball, even if I address it with a severely closed face.  At one point, I tried teeing the ball up outside my left toe and still was hitting a fade that was about 20yds right of the target..

So I'm sure my problem is not getting the clubface closed...   What I am at a loss to do, is just that, get the clubface closed.......       Any suggestions??

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

BTW,  I don't have this problem with my irons.......   I hit nice straight shots with them for some reason.......

Sound like me. If I slice that bad, I slow my swing way down, close the face some at address, and make sure when at impact I'm not sitting on my right foot. Few swings later it come back. Usually it happens on an overswing after a good run of holes and confidence kicks up a notch.

Originally Posted by teamroper60

BTW,  I don't have this problem with my irons.......   I hit nice straight shots with them for some reason.......

Thats because the irons have more loft (more backspin) and are not on such a flat plane like the driver because it is much longer.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

Thats because the irons have more loft (more backspin) and are not on such a flat plane like the driver because it is much longer.

That makes sense...........    Now I just need to figure out how to close the clubface at impact.........

Originally Posted by teamroper60

That makes sense...........    Now I just need to figure out how to close the clubface at impact.........

You don't want to close the face at impact, you need to just swing on the correct path with a square face.

• Upvote 1

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

You don't want to close the face at impact, you need to just swing on the correct path with a square face.

Yeah, I probably said that wrong...   What I am trying to do when I say close the face is get the clubface around more than it is now, which would hopefully get it square......

Note: This thread is 4378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!