IGNORED

Masters Bush League Bullying - Everything I hate about Augusta

chico713
Note: This thread is 4014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by onephenom

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Kid had unusual circumstances. Shorter hitter, first to hit, most likely hybrids and fairway woods,  clock starts on the first hitter usually and that was usually him.  Caddy not necessarily fully in tune w/ the kid's way of playing and the club distances,  very windy day when the kid was on the course, fast greens.  Kid isn't conditioned to a course found to be difficult/challenging, even to greats like Lefty - no big deal.  Looks like he's kicking PGA Champ Keegan Bradley's ass even with the penalty. He has yet to three-putt a single green during this tournament.

I'm a fan of the kid now - and hope that he becomes the world's number one some day.

Everyone has unusual circumstances... not going to treat him differently because he's a kid.

But yeah, he is beating Keegan, props!

My point is the kid has more reasons than today's PGA professonals like Jim Furyk for instance. He (Mr UglySwing) has played Augusta National for over a decade, has an experienced caddy, isn't nearly the first player in the group to hit like the kid.

What's Furyk's excuse?

Everyone has unusual circumstances... not going to treat him differently because he's a kid.  But yeah, he is beating Keegan, props!

(Bradley's actually beating him by 2 now.)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My point is the kid has more reasons than today's PGA professonals like Jim Furyk for instance. He (Mr UglySwing) has played Augusta National for over a decade, has an experienced caddy, isn't nearly the first player in the group to hit like the kid.

What's Furyk's excuse?

He speeds up when he gets 1 informal warning, official warnings and gets put on the clock.

Edit: Just read an article that said he took 5h and 15min to play his round, and that isn't all that long.

Uh, what?

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

• Administrator

What's Furyk's excuse?

Furyk doesn't need an excuse: he doesn't fall a whole behind and then fail to make up ground.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Furyk doesn't need an excuse: he doesn't fall a whole behind and then fail to make up ground.

Tiger said he was waiting on tees sometimes for 3 or 4 groups ahead of him... how much did Guan effect that?

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

Tiger said he was waiting on tees sometimes for 3 or 4 groups ahead of him... how much did Guan effect that?

The fact that there was nearly a wide-open hole in front of Guan's group at some points should indicate that he had a significant effect.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

The fact that there was nearly a wide-open hole in front of Guan's group at some points should indicate that he had a significant effect.

Yes, I know a lot was on him. But I doubt 1 open hole would lead to 3+ groups...

Originally Posted by onephenom

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

Yes, I know a lot was on him. But I doubt 1 open hole would lead to 3+ groups...

I believe their tee times were a four and a half hours apart. You can't possibly blame that on the kid.

I believe their tee times were a four and a half hours apart. You can't possibly blame that on the kid.

Sure you can. He played a 5+ hour round, and slowed down everyone behind him, slowing down everyone behind them, and so on.

• Administrator

Wrong.

You are aware that in the event of a traffic accident the ripple effects are still seen eight hours later , right?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Those who say to give the kid a break, this is golf. The rules, some you might disagree with are what make this game great. They are set up over time by those who want to keep the integrity of the game. It is such a great game that the players will call a foul on themselves. You don't see people in basketball go to a ref, "Yea i fouled him you missed it." or In Football, "Yea i held that guy", or tennis, "Yea, that guys ball was in and you missed that call". No, no other sport has such an adherence and respect for the integrity of the rules of golf. It is this adherence, not just by the rule officials, but by the players themselves that makes this game honorable and great. To give this kid a break would go against all that the game stands for. Also, with Tiger, he was given a two stroke penalty because the USGA 3 years ago didn't think it was fair that outside forces (people who have no time on there hands but to sit and watch for penalties they can call in) to effect the tournaments. That's why instead of DQ, they went with a 2 stroke penalty. Which doesn't bother me. Its a new era, with HD TV's, social media, people with no lives, that they had to protect the players and the game, and constant DQ's because the rules officials and players can't catch everything is the right thing to do. Tiger knew what he was doing, he knew that 2 yards, the same shot, the same conditions, the same club would come out perfect. He's lucky not to be DQ'd, but 2 strokes is fair by a rule they are enforcing consistantly.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

Wrong.

You are aware that in the event of a traffic accident the ripple effects are still seen eight hours later, right?

unlikely that the kid's actions caused a 4-groups on 4th hole five hours later - more likely reachable par 5 #2 causes a huge backup from early part of the round...throw in a difficult 240 yd par 3 where the bottleneck was.

unlikely that the kid's actions caused a 4-groups on 4th hole five hours later - more likely reachable par 5 #2 causes a huge backup from early part of the round...throw in a difficult 240 yd par 3 where the bottleneck was.

The amount of time elapsed is irrelevant to the delay ... Same as Erik's traffic analogy. The thing that ends traffic delays is a let up in incoming cars, just like in golf what would cause the backup to ease is a letup in constant groups ... which there wasn't. Besides, who f**king cares about that? He was out of position.

... what everybody is neglecting here is the circumstances surrounding the penalty.     Any other time, such a penalty is accepted an everyone moves on.    With all the hype surrounding the kid, the gravity of a 14 year old amateur potentially making the cut when GMac, Poulter, Mahan, Harrington, Oostheizen did NOT- it was huge news at that moment. The rules officials must have known that at that very moment the penalty was issued, it had a very good chance of being directly responsible for him missing the cut by the cut line that was known at the time .      My point, is that for a penalty so rarely enforced, which equated to a lousey 10 seconds over the time allotted, it could have been overlooked, due to the gravity of the situation ... AS IT ALMOST ALWAYS IS ON EVERY WEEKEND ON EVERY PROFESSIONAL TOURNAMENT.

Being that he made the cut makes it more of a moot point - however, I assure you, it that penalty cost him the weekend, it would have been a massive story !

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

• Administrator
Originally Posted by inthehole

The rules officials must have known that at that very moment the penalty was issued, it had a very good chance of being directly responsible for him missing the cut by the cut line that was known at the time.

Why should that matter? What if he bumped his ball and it moved an inch? Should they have also waived that penalty?

You don't seem to realize he earned a penalty, and was penalized properly.

Originally Posted by inthehole

My point, is that for a penalty so rarely enforced, which equated to a lousey 10 seconds over the time allotted, it could have been overlooked, due to the gravity of the situation ... AS IT ALMOST ALWAYS IS ON EVERY WEEKEND ON EVERY PROFESSIONAL TOURNAMENT.

a) It's rarely enforced because a player is rarely out of position that much, warned that many times, put on the clock, and then FAILS TO HIT THE SHOT IN THE ALLOTTED TIME.

b) It was way, way more than 10 seconds. If it was just 50 seconds (given 40) they'd have not given him the penalty.

Originally Posted by inthehole

Being that he made the cut makes it more of a moot point - however, I assure you, it that penalty cost him the weekend, it would have been a massive story !

With the same feelings - he earned the penalty, and bummer for him, but he should have picked up the pace.

What about the many, many groups behind him that he messed with by causing the backups and delays?

What people seem to fail to realize is that outside the ropes he is a 14 year old kid from China.  But the moment he comes inside the ropes he is a Masters competitor just like all the rest.  No more, no less.

There are 2 kinds of discrimination:  one is singling someone out because of their race/age/etc.  The other is NOT singling someone out because of their race/age/etc. (taken from the movie Stand and Deliver).

• Upvote 2

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I don't see what all the argueing is about.  The kid admitted he played a bit slow and that's that.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18

I don't see what all the argueing is about.  The kid admitted he played a bit slow and that's that.

a bit? haha, you're quite nice.

But ys, he admitted he played slow, said it wasn't unfair, he clearly understood he was going to be given a penalty stroke

Note: This thread is 4014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!