IGNORED

Ball Test and Ball Suggestions

Note: This thread is 3918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That chart is definitely interesting.  It does get me curious to give the Chrome Hex a try since it has similar spin on wedges to the E5 but a lower spin on the driver.  Might make a good option on some of the straighter courses I play where I can get a bit more roll.

Desmond, how does the Hex Chrome feel when putting compared to the E5. Which one is softer, since it looks like you've played both before?

Acer XF Ti 10.5 / GDI G60
Mizuno JPX 825 Hybrids 16* and 19* / Steel Fiber HLS75
Mizuno MP H4 (4-PW) / Steel Fiber i95 cw
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58
Odyssey ProType Tour #7

It always hard to stop the ball from that distance! If you don't have a full swing, you don't hit the ball that hard. So you create less spin! I'm currently using the taylormade TP5 ball but not totaly happy with them! Also searching For the right one! Till now i liked the wilson fg tours best for feel and stop control only i use 2-3 balls a round Because they wear pretty fast! Posted this treat in an other forum, i get lot responses about Srixon Z star and Mizuno TP S balls! Last ones i can't buy in the Netherlands

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

That chart is definitely interesting.  It does get me curious to give the Chrome Hex a try since it has similar spin on wedges to the E5 but a lower spin on the driver.  Might make a good option on some of the straighter courses I play where I can get a bit more roll.  Desmond, how does the Hex Chrome feel when putting compared to the E5. Which one is softer, since it looks like you've played both before?

I found the Hex Chrome is softer as to feel off the putter In fact I switched from the e5 to the Callaway HEX chrome The chrome is a superior ball, IMHO. I also like the Taylormade TP3 and RBZ Urethane. The Lethal flights lower but stops like glue on the green. Off the putter, it is soft like a baby's behind

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had my own post concerning my search for ball for me, but this one is much better.

However being a beginner, this post has somewhat baffled and confused.  My understanding is low spin off the driver makes for better distance and straighter shots, and higher spin off the wedge gives the ball more sticking power on the green.

So why are the B330's so popular when they have the highest spin rate of the driver.  From looking at the chart I would think the best overall balls would be both the Callaway Hex Chromes, Zxrion Z star XV, Titleist Pro V1X & Wilson F6 Tour X.

I have a 95-100 SS & hit a Cobra AMP Cell 11.5* driver and would probably pick the Callaway Hex Chrome+.

Am I understanding all this correctly?

Thanks, this is a great thread.

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

Originally Posted by cnl390

I had my own post concerning my search for ball for me, but this one is much better.

However being a beginner, this post has somewhat baffled and confused.  My understanding is low spin off the driver makes for better distance and straighter shots, and higher spin off the wedge gives the ball more sticking power on the green.

So why are the B330's so popular when they have the highest spin rate of the driver.  From looking at the chart I would think the best overall balls would be both the Callaway Hex Chromes, Zxrion Z star XV, Titleist Pro V1X & Wilson F6 Tour X.

I have a 95-100 SS & hit a Cobra AMP Cell 11.5* driver and would probably pick the Callaway Hex Chrome+.

Am I understanding all this correctly?

Thanks, this is a great thread.

Some people need spin along with high launch.

I hit the Lethal, and while it is a great ball, soft off the putter, long, and stops like glue on the greens, it flighted lower (less spin) for me than a TP3, RBZ Urethane or Chrome. My swingspeed is not 95-100, and I want more carry and some roll - so I like more spin than a Lethal offers off the driver. I have a box of Chrome + balls that I have not tried, but they may be similar to the Lethal.

Next up will be a playing comparison of the RBZ Urethane against the Chrome, and then Chrome +.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I had my own post concerning my search for ball for me, but this one is much better. However being a beginner, this post has somewhat baffled and confused.  My understanding is low spin off the driver makes for better distance and straighter shots, and higher spin off the wedge gives the ball more sticking power on the green. So why are the B330's so popular when they have the highest spin rate of the driver.  From looking at the chart I would think the best overall balls would be both the Callaway Hex Chromes, Zxrion Z star XV, Titleist Pro V1X & Wilson F6 Tour X. I have a 95-100 SS & hit a Cobra AMP Cell 11.5* driver and would probably pick the Callaway Hex Chrome+. Am I understanding all this correctly? Thanks, this is a great thread.

I'm a relative beginner, and have tried many balls. My ranking, if price is no option fits quite nicely with the chart, and your reading of it. 1) Pro V1x 2) Hex Chrome 3) Z-Star XV I have not tried the Chrome+, but my swing speed is in the 90s, to MAYBE 100, so I think the regular chrome is probably better. Would definitely try the (+) if I got the chance. I also have not tried the Wilson's, but will when I see some. The 3 balls I mentioned above all fly far enough (cant tell a distance difference) and all spin enough on greens, with the V1x beating the other 2 out just a bit. I think I'm gonna stick to refurbished V1x's and look for deals on the others as I can get them. Also, the XV feels a bit harder off the driver specifically, to me. Also, the yellow ones feel just a tad harder, maybe? If I really connect, the ball feels really heavy at impact. But in a good way. Like it will fly 10 miles! Some may not like that, however.

The chart really helps out, but here is my question.. I have been playing two piece balls because I was under the impression they have lower side spin, reducing the amount of time I might spend in the rough. Would the hex chrome work for me if I wanted to keep with the philosophy (other than the 2 piece ball Phil of course)

Good info.  I think I'll give the Hex Chrome or Chrome + a try this weekend.  I have a driver swing speed average of 99 so I'm guessing the Chrome + would work out a little better?

Titleist Vokey 50,54,58
Odyssey ProType Tour #7

Originally Posted by Stuffs

Good info.  I think I'll give the Hex Chrome or Chrome + a try this weekend.  I have a driver swing speed average of 99 so I'm guessing the Chrome + would work out a little better?

It depends -

On your spin and if you launch the ball high.

If you are a high spin, high launch player off the driver, then the Chrome + will probably work better for you. It should offer a slightly lower launch and spin off the driver than the Chrome.

If you are low spin and need higher launch and/or spin, the Chrome may work better for you.

I bought a dozen Hex Chrome and played 18 yesterday and 9 this evening.  Yesterday my play was mediocre at best, but I do believe I was hitting the ball much straighter.  This evening the majority of my drives were going high straight and long.  And I was hitting my irons awesome.  I also hit my best 3W shot off the fairway ever.  Was it the balls, I don't know for sure, but something sure made my drives much better.

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

I like the Titleist SoLo for a medium/low priced ball, and the Bridgestone 330 RX in a premium ball for the feel and characteristics you seem to be looking for. Honestly, I can play Noodles and not see a lot of difference in my score, but there is a difference to me in feel. As far as fitting, sometimes the ball makers will have a fitting day --this is how I got hooked up with the B330 RX. The fitting was free and they gave me a couple of 2 packs to try.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Just played two rounds with the Chrome +.  Its an interesting departure from the E5.  It definitely spins noticeably more from the wedges to the short irons.  Its been a while since I was able to spin an 8 iron back a couple feet.  Off my driver, its has some noticeable reduction in spin. For me, I launch the E5 high with just the right amount of spin to keep a good amount of carry.  With the Chrome +, its more of a medium traj with less spin so the ball does come down faster.  Total distance, using my skycaddie and just knowledge of my home course, I'm losing on average 10-15 yds. From full shots to around the green, they both feel about the same.  On putting, I still like the E5 feel a little more.  They just feel like start off rolling more true.  So I'm pretty torn between those two now.  I like the short game spin of the Chrome + more but the E5 off the driver suits me more.  Also the putting feel which is pretty important to me goes to the E5 as well.  I still got the full sleeve so I'll keep playing them until I lose them all and see how it goes I guess.  I'm very impressed with the short game spin from this $30 ball though and stopping it on a dime always makes me smile.

Titleist Vokey 50,54,58
Odyssey ProType Tour #7

Originally Posted by Stuffs

Just played two rounds with the Chrome +.  Its an interesting departure from the E5.  It definitely spins noticeably more from the wedges to the short irons.

Off my driver, its has some noticeable reduction in spin. For me, I launch the E5 high with just the right amount of spin to keep a good amount of carry.  With the Chrome +, its more of a medium traj with less spin so the ball does come down faster.  Total distance, using my skycaddie and just knowledge of my home course, I'm losing on average 10-15 yds.

[So the putting feel which is pretty important to me goes to the E5 as well.  I still got the full sleeve so I'll keep playing them until I lose them all and see how it goes I guess.  I'm very impressed with the short game spin from this $30 ball though and stopping it on a dime always makes me smile.

Try the normal Chrome - it will get trajectory back up and you should regain all of your driver distance; it should have more length than the e5, with nice greenside spin. You might also try the TP3 or RBZ Urethane.

[ATTACHMENT=288]2013 Spin Rates.pdf (270k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

I think there's something wrong with that chart, I noticed it when that issue came in the mail. There's no way the Gamer scored that low, especially off the wedges. There must have been a mistake with the test.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

I think there's something wrong with that chart, I noticed it when that issue came in the mail. There's no way the Gamer scored that low, especially off the wedges. There must have been a mistake with the test.

A chart tells only part of the story. I would not take it as gospel. Some of the chart goes against what the OEMs say in their marketing material. For example, take the Chrome+ and Chrome. Callaway says tour players needed less spin off the driver than the Chrome and came up with the Chrome +. I would expect in the real world that is true. There is a reason Gary Woodland or Phil plays the Chrome+, and I play the Chrome. I need more launch/spin off the driver, while Pros don't.

So while I empathize, don't worry about a chart - go with what works. They seem to be using the new version of the Gamer, and that may make a difference.

Originally Posted by colin007

I noticed that the urethane version, "Gamer Tour" is not listed. I would be interested to see where it would be on the chart.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I used to play ProV1, then switched to Srixon Z Star, because the performance was the same and I like the brand Srixon better.

Two weeks ago however a friend showed me a Vice golf ball. Has anyone ever heard of it? I think they are from Germany or something like that. The look really cool and I couldn't feel a difference. I had the top model "pro" which is a 3-piece urethan ball (I looked it up ;) http://www.golfballs.com/Golf-Balls/Vice-Pro-White-Golf-Balls.htm), exactly like the ProV1 and it was soft as a baby kitten. I think I will change to Vice balls since they not only look much cooler than any ball I ever had, they are also a lot cheaper (exept if you're into lake balls, but i personally think they are rubbish). Not sure how I feel about the Neon colour though. I think I'm gonna stick to white ;).

Has anyone ever played a Vice ball? would be really interested in your opinions. If not give it a try, it's worth it.

Note: This thread is 3918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!