IGNORED

Bubba Gets Mad at his Caddie

RadioCop
Note: This thread is 3945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by BostonBrew

The story on the PGA Tour site says Ted convinced Bubba to hit a 9 iron instead of 8, which was Bubba's initial desire.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the yardage was, the conditions were, or how the ball was flighting throughout the day?  There are too many variables that I don't have the answers to assign fault.  But I'll stand behind the fact that I'd be pissed with the results of the outcome.  And if I felt the Caddy gave me the wrong club, I'd let him know.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that? Having emotions is human nature... And under pressure that is when you'll often see those type of emotions rear its ugly head.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Yeah, I'm not sure what the yardage was, the conditions were, or how the ball was flighting throughout the day?  There are too many variables that I don't have the answers to assign fault.  But I'll stand behind the fact that I'd be pissed with the results of the outcome.  And if I felt the Caddy gave me the wrong club, I'd let him know.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that? Having emotions is human nature... And under pressure that is when you'll often see those type of emotions rear its ugly head.

It also appears that there is more to it than the video shows.  It looks like the video starts AFTER the first shot, and further, it looks like the rhetorical yardage question comes after the next shot from the drop zone.  Seems like that comment was in regards to that second shot cuz he flew the green.  Either way, it's no big deal in the long run.  They're both probably over it, as it is probably not that uncommon between player/caddy teams that are that familiar with each other.

The story on the PGA Tour site says Ted convinced Bubba to hit a 9 iron instead of 8, which was Bubba's initial desire.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

It also appears that there is more to it than the video shows.  It looks like the video starts AFTER the first shot, and further, it looks like the rhetorical yardage question comes after the next shot from the drop zone.  Seems like that comment was in regards to that second shot cuz he flew the green.  Either way, it's no big deal in the long run.  They're both probably over it, as it is probably not that uncommon between player/caddy teams that are that familiar with each other.

Correct.  The PGA tour article is a general reference to an apology for talking him into a different club on the shot he put into the water.  The "you're telling me that's the yardage" question came after the drop, when he flew his wedge too far over the green.  So, the question of fact regarding yardages would pertain to the 2nd shot of the video sequence, not the first.  The first shot is a more subjective "is it a hard 9 or a soft 8" type conversation--or whatever the fine details of it were.  The caddie is doing the professional "take one for the team" thing, while Bubba also is doing the ""we" were trying to assess and "we" chose the wrong club" thing so as to publicly smooth this over.

While I've never liked Bubba or how he is portrayed by the media, I don't begrudge any athlete who makes mistakes in the heat of the moment.  That type of stuff is gonna happen.  If it's the exception rather than the rule, and they acknowledge the mistake, I'm fine with it.  I do get some slight satisfaction out of this being caught on camera, I'll admit, but only because it proves that the more cameras/mics you have around, the more likely you are to find undesirable behavior from those we build up.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I think Bubba is a really hard bag to carry. Quite emotional and a very volatile guy. Probably a really hard job being his caddie.

Michael

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Either way, it's no big deal in the long run.  They're both probably over it, as it is probably not that uncommon between player/caddy teams that are that familiar with each other.

Agreed...

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I do get some slight satisfaction out of this being caught on camera, I'll admit, but only because it proves that the more cameras/mics you have around, the more likely you are to find undesirable behavior from those we build up.

I like having more mics and cameras on Tour. I wish we got more footage of the conversations caddies and players have. Every time I hear Bones and Phil talking clubs and yardages, I thoroughly enjoy it. To me, it's interesting to know what process they go through with their club and shot selection.

I like having more mics and cameras on Tour. I wish we got more footage of the conversations caddies and players have. Every time I hear Bones and Phil talking clubs and yardages, I thoroughly enjoy it. To me, it's interesting to know what process they go through with their club and shot selection.

True, I think there are tons of insightful things in those conversations.  Phil/Bones have some of the most in-depth conversations I've heard.  But there are a lot of judgmental AND uptight folks out there, and if anything keeps us from getting more access to more of the athletes/entertainers that we like, it's the times when they have to apologize for things they weren't aware were up for public consumption.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Correct.  The PGA tour article is a general reference to an apology for talking him into a different club on the shot he put into the water.  The "you're telling me that's the yardage" question came after the drop, when he flew his wedge too far over the green.  So, the question of fact regarding yardages would pertain to the 2nd shot of the video sequence, not the first.  The first shot is a more subjective "is it a hard 9 or a soft 8" type conversation--or whatever the fine details of it were.  The caddie is doing the professional "take one for the team" thing, while Bubba also is doing the ""we" were trying to assess and "we" chose the wrong club" thing so as to publicly smooth this over.

While I've never liked Bubba or how he is portrayed by the media, I don't begrudge any athlete who makes mistakes in the heat of the moment.  That type of stuff is gonna happen.  If it's the exception rather than the rule, and they acknowledge the mistake, I'm fine with it.  I do get some slight satisfaction out of this being caught on camera, I'll admit, but only because it proves that the more cameras/mics you have around, the more likely you are to find undesirable behavior from those we build up.

But even watching the video... I don't think it is that big of a deal.  I know a lot of folks use the phrase 'A gentleman's game' to describe golf... But maybe I was brought up differently?  Golf is a sport, just like any others, where emotions can run high.  And exchanges like the one shown between Bubba and his Caddy fall into the 'So what' category for me?   I dunno... Maybe there was something there?  But I didn't really see anything to bring his character flaws (we all have them) into focus.

But even watching the video... I don't think it is that big of a deal.  I know a lot of folks use the phrase 'A gentleman's game' to describe golf... But maybe I was brought up differently?  Golf is a sport, just like any others, where emotions can run high.  And exchanges like the one shown between Bubba and his Caddy fall into the 'So what' category for me?   I dunno... Maybe there was something there?  But I didn't really see anything to bring his character flaws (we all have them) into focus.

I'm with you. I don't see the big deal. It's currently the top story on a few golf sites and I think its unwarranted. Typical for the media, I know. He was upset, he expressed it, and that's that.

(Allegedly) blaming somebody else for your own poor play is a bigger character flaw than throwing a club, for me.  I'd rather a guy shout obscenities at the top of his lungs.

But, no, it's not that big of a deal for me either.

I don't really see it as a big deal.  This kind of stuff happens all the time I can imagine.  I would like to say I would handle it differently but I don't know that for sure.  I was not in and never will be in that situation.  I don't know if he is a jerk or not and none of us should really care.  Who gives a flip, he is just a freaking golfer.

What is more interesting to me from a golf standpoint is why he would let his caddy tell him what club to use at all.   He should just ask yardage alone.  Only Bubba knows what shot he is going to hit and with what trajectory.  He can probably hit any iron one club up or one club down at will and should know what that yardage is.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

It is not uncommon for a Tour player to blame an invisible spike mark, a caddie's advice, or even a playing partner. Bubba was a little out of line and over the top and Feherty called him on it. The ensuing story is mostly drama because it must have been a slow news day for the golfing press.

• Upvote 2

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

I agree. I know that sometimes the golfer and caddy are buddies but at the end of the day, it's an employer/employee arrangement. I'm sure we've all had bosses that at one time or another, got on us for something we may or may not have been responsible for. If you like your job and your boss, you let that stuff slide. No big deal.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

I agree. I know that sometimes the golfer and caddy are buddies but at the end of the day, it's an employer/employee arrangement. I'm sure we've all had bosses that at one time or another, got on us for something we may or may not have been responsible for. If you like your job and your boss, you let that stuff slide. No big deal.

The fundamental difference is that the player-caddie on course interaction is in the public. The mature way to handle this situation is for Bubba to publicly own the mistake (he hit the shot), but deal with his caddie privately. It's no different than if my secretary makes an error. I'm the attorney and I'm responsible for everything with my name on it. To the court I own the mistake. But I talk to my secretary privately to make sure it never happens again. I definitely have a different take on Bubba than I did before. Just childish behavior.

My bag...under construction

Driver -  AMP 10.5 degree

3W - :adams: Speedline Fast 12

3H  Baffler T-Rail

Irons - 4-PW  G20s

Wedges -  G20 54* SW and an old  Bazooka 60* LW that will be replaced next

Putter -  Scottsdale Y-Worry

Originally Posted by Desert

I definitely have a different take on Bubba than I did before. Just childish behavior.

Seriously!?

SERIOUSLY.

Honestly I don't know how someone can watch that video, and pass judgement on ones character.  Wow.  Society is way too sensitive and quick to judge......................

• Upvote 3

Bubba's swing on the tee shot was garbage...no wonder it came up short, horrendous follow through. He chickened out on the shot because he wasn't confident that a 9 would make it.

I can't speak for the conversations leading up to the shots, but to chew out the caddie loud enough for everyone to hear is not called for. His tone was whiney and childish.

R7

Edge 3-SW with Apex4 Steel shafts

Burner 2.0 AW

Putter

Street Shoes

Glove

Seriously!?   . . . . SERIOUSLY. Honestly I don't know how someone can watch that video, and pass judgement on ones character.  Wow.  Society is way too sensitive and quick to judge......................

Call me crazy, but I've always been quick to judge somebody who blames others for their own mistake. Also I watched the event live and I'm not basing my opinion on the video. Bubba acted like a complete baby that entire hole. To his credit he did show a lot of class on the 18th congratulating Stroud after the killer chip. I'm just saying that, to me, his treatment of his caddie was classless and unprofessional.

My bag...under construction

Driver -  AMP 10.5 degree

3W - :adams: Speedline Fast 12

3H  Baffler T-Rail

Irons - 4-PW  G20s

Wedges -  G20 54* SW and an old  Bazooka 60* LW that will be replaced next

Putter -  Scottsdale Y-Worry

Look i never was a Bubba fan, this is why!!

Still remember him playing in France, got paid a lot of money

had a few bad holes and what happens NR and leaves the course.

telling later he was homesick.

Few weeks later at The Open no problem.

For this matter. There is only one person who is responsible for the outcome off the shot, and that is the one

with the club in hand, not the one carrying them.

If you doubt the caddies call, let him check it again. simple...

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Note: This thread is 3945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!