IGNORED

Duffed Range Balls

Pretzel
Note: This thread is 3904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess it depends on the range. Where I live (eastern Canada) the ranges have a very limited window to turn their profits because of the ****ing snow. If someone finishes their bucket on a bad note and wants to hit a handful more to try to find redemption the range management would definitely prefer you buy another small bucket rather than just go forage for some balls along the edge of the ropes. I imagine that a range that has the luxury of operating 365 days a year, like in Florida or Cali, would be a little more inclined to turn a blind eye to anyone that's scrounging up a handful more to finish on a high note.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's one of those situations where I can see the range operators perspective because you're basically cheating him out of some revenue.  Conversely, given you had played nine and paid for a bucket already he should have enough customer service sense to keep his mouth shut as long as you weren't putting yourself in harms way.

I always have a few "retired" balls in my bag so I can end the range session on a high note.

Joe Paradiso

A lot of golf courses are sort of struggling these days, or so the media suggest. If the golf course in question charges for use of the range, you are taking money out of their pocket helping yourself to balls on the range, and probably by extension the pockets of the employees. I agree that there is little harm in grabbing a few duffed balls if you want to end a range session on a positive note. But, if you practice, then play a round, and then mozy back out onto the range and start helping yourself to free balls it is wrong.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I would say you have to ask yourself " Do I need that kind of attention". The range I go to is muncipal and they have a nice putting and pitching area that not only do you not have to pay to use but if i want to just go one afternoon and just practice putting no one cares, its available for use. Some ranges frown on that you did not pay for any range balls and are using their practice area for putting and chipping, and I get that. They are in business to provide you with a practice area and earn some kind of living. I always look at buying range balls as part of  package deal. JMHO

I can just imagine how I would feel if an employee come out and yelled, "hey you can't hit those balls!" I would prefer it if he walked over and tell me. To be scolded, like I was a thief trying to pull a fast one, would have been upsetting.

Originally Posted by Pretzel

Does your home course allow you to pick up and re-hit some of the range balls that are merely yards from the practice tee? I know that the two main courses I play at allow it so long as you don't endanger yourself by going in front of others, but I recently encountered a grumpy course professional at a new course I played.

At the end of my 9 holes I wanted to hit a couple more shots before dark, so I figured I could help clean up the front of the practice tee by grabbing the balls and hitting them out there. At one of my home courses I've been asked to help an employee with this just because it makes picking the range a lot easier for them, so I figured there shouldn't be a problem. However, this guy comes out from behind the counter in the pro shop yelling, "No, you can't do that! Don't hit those!" after I had gathered 5 or so that were directly in front of the rope. Surprised, I apologized and left them there but it got me to wondering if there are any other courses that people play that do or don't allow you to hit those short range balls.

I would not recommend it.   I've seen people next to me hit range balls side ways, nearly, hitting someone in next stall.   That does not mean I don't pick up a few balls within my club range.   But I do it carefully.   Most ranges don't allow people to pick up the balls for liability.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Originally Posted by barbm12thtee

I can just imagine how I would feel if an employee come out and yelled, "hey you can't hit those balls!" I would prefer it if he walked over and tell me. To be scolded, like I was a thief trying to pull a fast one, would have been upsetting.

I probably would have collected the balls and walked them over to him and handed them to him for safe keeping.

The thing about this way of handling things whether right or wrong is that when you are in the customer service business, you need the customers more than they need you. There is a way to handle every situation without potentially detracting from your future revenue stream. Alienating your customer base is never a good business model.

Here would have been a better way to handle it. The pro gets your attention and walks over to you with a small half bucket of balls and in a quiet voice says, "Here, take these few balls leftover in this bucket and hit them. We have a policy about picking up balls from the range and we try to stay consistent on that for liability reasons. Enjoy the rest of your day, and I hope to see you out here again." Now he has a new friend and a loyal customer.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I probably would have collected the balls and walked them over to him and handed them to him for safe keeping. The thing about this way of handling things whether right or wrong is that when you are in the customer service business, you need the customers more than they need you. There is a way to handle every situation without potentially detracting from your future revenue stream. Alienating your customer base is never a good business model.  Here would have been a better way to handle it. The pro gets your attention and walks over to you with a small half bucket of balls and in a quiet voice says, "Here, take these few balls leftover in this bucket and hit them. We have a policy about picking up balls from the range and we try to stay consistent on that for liability reasons. Enjoy the rest of your day, and I hope to see you out here again." Now he has a new friend and a loyal customer.

I can see that scenario adding more revenue. The guy hitting balls would return, he would tell friends about this great guy at the range and they in turn would play the course.

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I probably would have collected the balls and walked them over to him and handed them to him for safe keeping.

The thing about this way of handling things whether right or wrong is that when you are in the customer service business, you need the customers more than they need you. There is a way to handle every situation without potentially detracting from your future revenue stream. Alienating your customer base is never a good business model.

Here would have been a better way to handle it. The pro gets your attention and walks over to you with a small half bucket of balls and in a quiet voice says, "Here, take these few balls leftover in this bucket and hit them. We have a policy about picking up balls from the range and we try to stay consistent on that for liability reasons. Enjoy the rest of your day, and I hope to see you out here again." Now he has a new friend and a loyal customer.

I know a couple of people that work at golf courses that cost the course more in run off customers than their salary costs. The owners probably don't even know why they are not getting much business.

The guy running out and yelling would really piss me off. I would ask him if it was really worth embarrassing and/or pissing off a  customer to make sure they don't hit those five balls. AT MOST he should have walked out and ASKED you not to do that or waited until you came by and politely ask you to not do that in the future. Most golf courses aren't exactly raking in the cash. Treating a customer like that is beyond asinine. If one of my employees did they would be let go on the spot.

Depending on his attitude and how he yelled at you I would seriously consider calling and reporting his behavior. At the very least I would tell him that it is horrible service to treat people like that.

A year or so ago I went to a CC course that I play once or twice a week, although I'm not a member. The pro shop closes at 6pm and by the time I leave work and get there it is generally around 5:30-5:45. On this particular day I showed up around 5:45 and they had already shut down the pro shop. A women that worked there saw me try and open the locked door and asked my if I needed anything. I told her that I intended on playing but they had closed up for the day. She told me not to worry about it and go grab a cart. When I walked around to grab a cart another employee came up and asked what I was doing. I told him what had happened and he obviously didn't believe me. He was extremely curt and sarcastic and told me to show him who had told me to go ahead and play. I walked him inside and showed him the women I was talking to . When she confirmed my story he started to berate her in front of me and tell her that she couldn't do that. He just looked at me and told me that I couldn't play. No apology or anything. The next day I called in and told his boss how I was treated. As an employee, it infuriates me when employees treat customers that way. There is no excuse for it.

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Exactly. The problem with guys like him are that he has the mentality that he is battling the customers. I run into a lot of people like that. Instead using the opportunity to increase customer satisfaction at no cost, he sees a customer trying to get a freebie and can't let it slide.

We don't have to worry about it because our green fees comes with range balls. They leave pyramids of balls out there open to close and the range is unattended. Members have unlimited range privileges.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by barbm12thtee

The worst part is he already paid for a bucket and a round.

The attendant came out accusing him rather than asking how his round fared or if he enjoyed the course. Suggesting that he might buy some more balls if he was going to want to hit many more than he already did.

Had the attendant been more discrete and with a helpful demeanor, then this thread probably would not have been started.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I was at a range that has a long ditch along the far left side filled with small trees and longer grass. saw a older guy hit his bucket then walk into this ditch, 10 mins later he comes walking out with a heaping large bucket. no one said a word so I think ill try it next time im at this range.

Originally Posted by ldpk

I was at a range that has a long ditch along the far left side filled with small trees and longer grass. saw a older guy hit his bucket then walk into this ditch, 10 mins later he comes walking out with a heaping large bucket. no one said a word so I think ill try it next time im at this range.

They are probably happy that he is putting the balls back into play.

Note: This thread is 3904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!