IGNORED

Forged Callaway irons - Question

Note: This thread is 3896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What golfingdad is saying is actually right. the forged irons are more designed to be a players club, so ballflight wise they will be lower. Due to less offset and smaller head shape's with a different muscle back.

Casted irons in most occasions will have more cavity back witch will help de ball get in the air.

What i was trying to say feel wise there is no difference in a casted or forged club. It's all between the ears. It's all about what you see and hear.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Originally Posted by tomvk77

What golfingdad is saying is actually right. the forged irons are more designed to be a players club, so ballflight wise they will be lower. Due to less offset and smaller head shape's with a different muscle back.

Casted irons in most occasions will have more cavity back witch will help de ball get in the air. ...

In past this was true, but GI/SGI forged irons are emerging, such as Nike VR S Forged. This iron has stronger lofts (a 22* 4i) and a "deep pocket cavity;" moderate offset falls between the Callaway X20 (SGI) and the X20 Tour (GI). I've test-hit these irons, and they launch the ball nice and high. If you have good clubhead speed, however, you might want to avoid the NS Pro 950GH HT (high launch shafts). Otherwise, you might have the ball hanging too high on windy days.

Forged traditionally has tended toward the players lines, but that's changing.

Also, let's not get too distracted by head design: That shaft the head sits on is half the golf club!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by WUTiger

In past this was true, but GI/SGI forged irons are emerging, such as Nike VR S Forged. This iron has stronger lofts (a 22* 4i) and a "deep pocket cavity;" moderate offset falls between the Callaway X20 (SGI) and the X20 Tour (GI). I've test-hit these irons, and they launch the ball nice and high. If you have good clubhead speed, however, you might want to avoid the NS Pro 950GH HT (high launch shafts). Otherwise, you might have the ball hanging too high on windy days.

Forged traditionally has tended toward the players lines, but that's changing.

Also, let's not get too distracted by head design: That shaft the head sits on is half the golf club!

The Adams CB3's are another excellent option for those looking for a forged GI / SGI iron set.

Joe Paradiso

Sorry about going off topic but I'm playing G15's now. I was looking at getting a new set next year. I was thinking of s55's which I know have a higher lofts. My question is if the ball flight is lower in the s55 does the distance change? Now my 8iron is 150 would it still be or would that be a 7?

As to forgings, it's history is that they were less forgiving, etc. But change in the golf industry is certain.

While forgiving forgings can't match some of today's SGI designs, many are forgiving as to perimeter weighting and high toes, higher bounce, have sufficient offset and are weighted to get the ball up more easily.

It's tough to make general statements any longer. That's why you frequently see two terms/phrases in these threads - "demo" and "get fit."

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by tomvk77

Casted irons in most occasions will have more cavity back witch will help de ball get in the air.

What i was trying to say feel wise there is no difference in a casted or forged club. It's all between the ears. It's all about what you see and hear.

What about irons like Mizuno MX-200s?  Forged but forgiving enough for anyone to hit and still a soft, forged feel.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Ok gaijin golfer if you look farther back in the post you will see a study that shorty posted that will inform you on what I was saying was proven. I never mentioned golfguru in any if my posts on here and know that he has no scientific baking. I would repost the study shorty had posted. But again I have read almost every post on this thread as to why there is or is not a difference in feel. With that said I will stand my ground and say that there is a perceived feeling whether its true or not. If someone believes the get a better feel from a club then they do who cares if its true or not really. I believe I get a better feel from my forged then I do my cast yes I believe when I strike my forged true it fells like butter. Who cares that's my belief. People believe in god and Buddha and all kinds of other things. So who wins that argument no one. Thanks

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

What about irons like Mizuno MX-200s?  Forged but forgiving enough for anyone to hit and still a soft, forged feel.

Someone is either making a joke, or someone ain't real bright.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by arturo28mx

This is what Mizuno says on forged vs cast. Interesting read:

http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/forging/forgingahead.php

that's marketing trying to sell why their clubs are "better" though, so it's hard to take it tooooo seriously.

Read my posts before you get on me please.

I hardly see a +20 hcapper with a Mizuno forged in hand.

Off course the nowadays forged clubs are more forgiving.....

But still way to much a players club for most off the golfers.

Taking a better look at the MX 200 irons. Indeed the club head

is rather long and there is a decent amount off cavity at the back.

Pretty much looks allot like the new Mizuno iron MP 54.

You still get less to no offset on these irons, thin topline and a thin sole.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Getting back to the original question, and at the expense of stating the obvious, the X Hots are one degree "stronger" than the Miura's, AND the lie angle is different AND the weight is different AND the shafts are likely different in their flex  (even if both are R), or kickpoint, etc. The process of making the head is way down on the scale of how the clubs play for you.

I would have to guess that the "distance loss" you experienced may be the differences in the shafts of the two sets.  Each time I have been fit for clubs, the brand or type of the head mattered relatively little.  Once they have dialed me into the shaft that works for me, I hit all of them virtually similar.  There were some subtle differences, but I would have to imagine that a 10 yard difference in irons is more likely the result of whatever shafts were on them and the fact that they were game improvement rather than some difference between cast v. forge.

There are so many differences in the flex, kickpoint, weight, etc. of shafts (and yes, FEEL), that is the place to start paying attention, imho.  Get fit for the clubs, then get the head you like the looks and feel of.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Let's see, I also have Miura PP-9003, in Aerotech i-80. I game the XHot Pros in KBS Tour 90. I have demoed the Callaway X Forged 2013.

I will tell you that my experience is: The Callaway XHots and XHot Pros are longer than Miuras and the X Forged.

I found the X Forged 2013 easier to hit than the PP-9003. Maybe it's the higher bounce on the XForged that made it easier, but I thought the XForged went through the turf better in my brief time with them.

If you want something that is easy to hit, and better looking than the XHots with distance, I'd say purchase the XHot Pros as a second set, but select the shaft that fits you. My SS is not high with a driver - 88-91, maybe a bit more as I learn to hit with the right hand - and the KBS Tour 90 R flex gets the ball up easily.

As to feel between the XForged and XHot Pros - feel goes out the window after a couple of weeks and better scores. When you hit the ball solid, you get a solid feel. Just get some decent wedges.

I want to amend this answer after taking out the Miura PP-9003's again and thinking of the answer above - a good one.

I think the XHot Pros may be about the same distance as the Miuras given the same shaft. After playing the Miuras again, I've found they are longer than the XHot Pros. The XHP have a 95g steel shaft; the Miuras have an 80g graphite/steel Aerotech shaft - 15g apparently make a difference - and it is significant in terms of yardage - about 6-8 yards.

I can't speak to any difference in the heads - Miura has a reputation for obtaining very high ball speeds in a traditional head - myth? or maybe some people just hit them better than other irons, and some do not. Stories get out. Golfers don't hit all irons the same even with the same shaft. Design makes a difference. And sometimes, you just can't explain why a golfer hits one iron better than another - it's in the golfer's head.

Your XHots with a very thin face may just work for you. Their 85g shaft may be lighter than the shafts in your Miura Irons. As to the XForged 2013, if you're thinking about selling the Miura Irons for them, I'd think again. Maybe a reshaft is what you need.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!