• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GHIN0011458

Thesandtrap.com Open?

52 posts in this topic

We need a 4 day tournament or something from this website. It is the only way to clear up how everyone actually plays. Let's all meet up play a couple rounds of scramble and an individiual event. then the winner can say whatever they want about their swing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Originally Posted by GHIN0011458

We need a 4 day tournament or something from this website. It is the only way to clear up how everyone actually plays. Let's all meet up play a couple rounds of scramble and an individiual event. then the winner can say whatever they want about their swing.

Let me know when you have the tee times made and have booked my travel arrangements.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

I am not going to organize that mess lol

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People have proposed this sort of thing several times before, and they always die before they happen. Use the search function to find out why.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Pick a course, get it pre-paid and people will show up. Hell if the goofy golf channel am tour gets people to travel I don't see why people wouldnt for this. We all have friends who play too and could bring them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by GHIN0011458

Pick a course, get it pre-paid and people will show up. Hell if the goofy golf channel am tour gets people to travel I don't see why people wouldnt for this. We all have friends who play too and could bring them.


it's a solid idea, however just this spring we tried to get people from the Chicago area together for a golf outing.  We had 3 pages of people that said they were interested.  I took the initiative and organized a round for the beginning of the season, one other player actually made it out.  A few weeks later, somebody else tried, nobody was available.  After that, nobody even bothered posting to the thread.

If we can't get a group of people that live in the same city together for a single round on a saturday a 2-3 day 4 round event isn't likely to happen.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by GHIN0011458

Pick a course, get it pre-paid and people will show up. Hell if the goofy golf channel am tour gets people to travel I don't see why people wouldnt for this. We all have friends who play too and could bring them.

Hey!  The Am tour is fun!  (I don't really travel for it, as I've played 6 tournaments pretty much all in my back yard this year)

And there have been a few successful regional get-togethers of people on this site.

Those of us in Southern California are going to be having our 4th this coming October, and a bunch of guys in the Ohio/Pennsylvania area put one together just a couple of weeks ago.

But a National one?  Yeah, that would be tough.  (Unless you want to hold it in Socal!) ;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

it's a solid idea, however just this spring we tried to get people from the Chicago area together for a golf outing.  We had 3 pages of people that said they were interested.  I took the initiative and organized a round for the beginning of the season, one other player actually made it out.  A few weeks later, somebody else tried, nobody was available.  After that, nobody even bothered posting to the thread.

If we can't get a group of people that live in the same city together for a single round on a saturday a 2-3 day 4 round event isn't likely to happen.

Yeah.. that is pretty bad

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Hey!  The Am tour is fun!  (I don't really travel for it, as I've played 6 tournaments pretty much all in my back yard this year)

And there have been a few successful regional get-togethers of people on this site.

Those of us in Southern California are going to be having our 4th this coming October, and a bunch of guys in the Ohio/Pennsylvania area put one together just a couple of weeks ago.

But a National one?  Yeah, that would be tough.  (Unless you want to hold it in Socal!) ;)

I am not saying it isn't fun. I just can't believe people pay SOO much for a round of golf. A one day tournament you have to pay membership then like $125.00 and take a day off work.. Play a weekend Amateur event that is two days it is 150 or less, 2 rounds, and on the weekend. I just think they rip people off is my only bout against it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay. Book your tickets.

Next August 7-10 at Whispering Woods Golf Club in Erie, PA.

One "get to know everyone" scramble on the 7th, and individual competition with 85% handicaps on the days that follow.

Entry fee is $10 + greens fees/carts. The $10 will go directly to the prize pool.

The winner, by my estimations, will walk off with a cool $30 or so (50% of the total purse).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by iacas

Okay. Book your tickets.

Next August 7-10 at Whispering Woods Golf Club in Erie, PA.

One "get to know everyone" scramble on the 7th, and individual competition with 85% handicaps on the days that follow.

Entry fee is $10 + greens fees/carts. The $10 will go directly to the prize pool.

The winner, by my estimations, will walk off with a cool $30 or so (50% of the total purse).

Ill bring 5 people at least lol.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by iacas

Okay. Book your tickets.

Next August 7-10 at Whispering Woods Golf Club in Erie, PA.

One "get to know everyone" scramble on the 7th, and individual competition with 85% handicaps on the days that follow.

Entry fee is $10 + greens fees/carts. The $10 will go directly to the prize pool.

The winner, by my estimations, will walk off with a cool $30 or so (50% of the total purse).

I feel that will be a prime time for me to come up and work with you guys and then go out for some golf!  I missed the one a few weeks ago and I don't plan on missing the next one!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

The winner, by my estimations, will walk off with a cool $30 or so (50% of the total purse).

Ah, strategic. So we can maintain out amateur statuses! ;-)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

I thought we were going to have another get together in the Ohio/Pen area before the season was over?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

I am in as long as we pick a random location like say Charlotte, NC.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I think Houston TX would be a good central location for this event.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by TJBam

Yeah I think Dallas TX would be a good central location for this event.

yes!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Golf Evolution
  • Posts

    • GAME GOLF - Digital Tracking System
      Well, I went ahead and bit. Amazon Warehouse Deals has a few for $86 each. I had a $25 Amazon GC from Christmas, so after tax, it's going to be $66. It says the packaging is damaged, but no mention of problems with the device. Here's hoping it comes in good shape, and that it warms up pretty quickly so I can use it!
    • "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge (February 2016)
      The tournament I was supposed to play in was cancelled , so I played in a shotgun start today. The group I was in played at a quicker pace than the group in front and the group behind us, so I had plenty of opportunities for practicing greenside chipping and bunker shots as well as putting.
    • Jack or Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?
      While I expect it's largely accurate, I was more interested in a link to the actual quote than your paraphrase. The context of the question and interview plus the exact wording gives a clearer understanding of the statement. I accept deeper field of talent, I don't accept that it's automatically 'a ton' or an order of magnitude greater. What's the average score relative to the field (or % making the cut) in the PGA for the Pros vs. the PGA qualifiers from then to now? That could provide some insight to relative gap between majors field depth then and now. I am certain it's gotten harder for the PGA qualifiers to make it tot he weekend. I am less certain by how much the margin has shifted. The reason I stress the Majors and Opens is that size of field and openness to qualifiers is very important in making the top competitors face many elite players with potential to have a hot run of form. You're comparing apples to oranges there. That was ~ 1.5 million players in the U.S., not the world population of golfers. About 26 million golfers today in the U.S. Worldwide in 1920 who knows? But including Europe, Australia, and other 'commonwealth' countries it was likely double that - maybe triple. Also I can find no credible estimate that supports 100 million current golfers worldwide. Most generous is about 61 million. While there are a lot of clubs world-wide, participation of 'casual' unaffiliated golfers per club is not going to be the same as in the U.S. and that's the only way I get a number close to 100 million based on actual data. U.S. golf population talent base roughly tripled between Jack and Tiger and I expect worldwide it was a similar rate of increase. I think since the 1920's the U.S. has had about half the wold golf population, though that's started to decline of late as Asian participation increases. Jack was head and shoulders above highly competitive fields for nearly a generation similar to Tiger. I don't think human abilities change by orders of magnitude in short spans of time so I expect that Jack was an outlier of similar human ability as Tiger. How close and who has the edge is IMO debatable. Were Tiger's achievements (esp. the 'beat the field' streak) tougher than Jack's because of field depth, yes. How much more I'm not as sure as you. Did a relative 'competitive break' from full field events offered by the WGC's help Tiger there? Don't know but it's possible. Combine Tiger's regular wins and Majors and I have no problem giving him the greatest player of all time nod. I just don't think it's as cut and dried or by as large a margin as you seem to. They didn't play against each other so your confidence isn't any more a fact than my uncertainty. We're both estimating. Size of the field actually competing matters too, not just who wasn't invited to the party. I like the idea of a top player field and enjoy watching the events, but if only the top 50 players are playing they all have a better shot statistically than if the field was open to 156 or more players who are still very 'elite' in skill. As you've said in many posts, golf skill performance is highly variable. I agree and that's why I think size of field is relevant to the comparison, because I think the scoring variability of the top 90 golfers in the world overlaps considerably with the next 90 down and even a bit beyond that. That's why I wondered whether WGC wins are a bit less valuable than a major or a full field PGA tour event that's also open to Monday qualifying. Granted the world ranking system is better than it used to be, but it still weights international events more strongly than they deserve. Some of the reasons I think you may be undervaluing Nicklaus' achievement in comparing across eras.
    • "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge (January 2016)
      I managed to complete the January challenge (without missing a day, I believe). It was a great months' work for my game - having to blog every day sure helps to focus each session.
    • Steel vs Graphite generic question
      S300 is one of the lowest launching steel shafts.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today
  • Blog Entries