IGNORED

2013 MLB Playoffs

jamo
Note: This thread is 3826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It may, because they're in the wild card spot. They played in a tough division this year with St. Louis and Cincinnati both having good years. The Pirates have more wins than all but five other teams: Boston (4), Detroit (1), Oakland (3), Atlanta (2), and St. Louis (2, own division). LA has as many wins as they do. Third place in every other division has 9, 8, 14, 19, and 18 fewer wins. In the Pirates division they have 1 fewer win. And they play the Red to end the season.

They're under-rated, but the best team in baseball doesn't even have a 70% chance of winning a one-game "playoff."

Roberto Clemente would be proud of the way they played this year.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From what I understand, MLB's original point with these was to expand the amount of teams that try for playoff spots come September.

I've read a bunch of articles saying that their plan may have backfired. Teams are actually more likely to tank come September when winning the wild card only gets you a 50/50 chance of actually making it to the ALDS/NLDS. No one wants to spent extra money, make potentially short-sighted trades, and keep their young players in the minors just for a wild card slot that doesn't mean as much anymore.

Yeah, they wanted to expand the playoffs and the purists would have revolted.  So this was meant to keep more teams interested, while also strengthening the significance of winning the division.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

Maybe Yankees fans liked that, but as a Red Sox fan I liked the assurance that having the second best record in the AL didn't go for naught. (Speaking in general terms here. There were at least several seasons where the best two AL teams were the Sox and Yanks, and having only one of those teams with a guaranteed playoff spot would be unfortunate.)

Well I suppose a lot of teams would like assurances that they prove over the course of 162 games that they are not the best team, but then get even footing in the playoffs crapshoot anyway.

But this system is closer to fitting my opinion of what playoffs should be.  First you prove that you are the best in your division, then the best in your league, then the best of both leagues.  If over 162 games you prove that you're not the best in your division, in my opinion you shouldn't get a chance to pretend your the best in the league because you get hot at the right time.  Particularly because we have unbalanced schedules.  A 95 wins in one division is not equal to 95 wins in another, so it makes more sense to me to make the teams rise to the top of their division.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

I like the bolded statement here. This is why I like the older wild card format better. I highly doubt each team is playing for the wild card spot rather than winning the division. The new format may have made that winning the division was more imperative, but if you get the next best record in your respective league and not win your division, to me, you already deserve a playoff spot considering how long the season is.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Roberto Clemente would be proud of the way they played this year.

Roberto Clemente played in 14 World Series games (1960 & 1971), and had at least one hit in every one.  When I was a kid we used to sit out in the right field bleachers just to see Roberto. If you ask anyone who saw him play, Clemente had undoubtedly the best arm in MLB history...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/590862-mlb-power-rankings-the-25-best-outfield-arms-in-mlb-history/page/26

Can the Bucco's win in the playoffs this year?  In baseball, anything is possible once you make the playoffs.  But, more importantly, this Pirate team has brought an excitement to the "baseball starved" and "history rich" city of Pittsburgh.

Beat 'em Bucs and Raise the Jolly Roger.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland World Series.

How nuts would that be?

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Braves vs. Indians: '95 rematch... Anyone, Anyone, Bueller? Bueller?

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

Nah ... '88 rematch is coming. ;)

P.S.  Holy crap I just realized that Jamo was like -6 or something then!  Damn I'm old!  (Dodgers - A's, for you kids ;))

Nah ... '88 rematch is coming. ;) P.S.  Holy crap I just realized that Jamo was like -6 or something then!  Damn I'm old!  (Dodgers - A's, for you kids ;))

Ahem, -4.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I could go for that too. Awesome series. I became an A's fan around 1973 when I started collecting baseball cards & I grew up under the influence of my mother's affection for the Brooklyn Dodgers so... Dodger blue runs true.

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

As long as the outcome is different, I'm good with that.

Ryan M

Ryan M

Felt bad for the Tribe.  They had many chances but weren't patient at the plate.  With TB, you have to be patient.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Felt bad for the Tribe.  They had many chances but weren't patient at the plate.  With TB, you have to be patient.

I was at the game. It was a choke job plain and simple. 9 hits, 0 runs. Pathetic. Nick Swisher swinging like he's roided out Mark McGwire with two men on...

Ryan M

They finally got rid of the rule where two teams from the same division can't meet in the division series (last year when they added the second wild card team) which makes sense.  Does anybody know if they also changed the rules regarding home field advantage?

The Dodgers won the west with 92 wins and the Pirates won a wild card spot with 94.  If they both win tonight, who has home field in the next series?

I know it always used to be division winners over wild cards, but I don't know for sure if that's still true.

They finally got rid of the rule where two teams from the same division can't meet in the division series (last year when they added the second wild card team) which makes sense.  Does anybody know if they also changed the rules regarding home field advantage? The Dodgers won the west with 92 wins and the Pirates won a wild card spot with 94.  If they both win tonight, who has home field in the next series? I know it always used to be division winners over wild cards, but I don't know for sure if that's still true.

It is still the division winner

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

• 2 weeks later...
Been great games so far. I'm thinking Boston will wrap up tonight. If, not tonight then I think they will beat the Tigers regardless. I don't really have an affinity for any of the teams since The Braves got eliminated. I like Jim Leyland, but appreciate the job John Farrell has done this year.

Terrific baseball. I've never watched so many games that didn't involve my team.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Note: This thread is 3826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!